TR intros - new year, new thought

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Pedorro

Re: TR intros - new year, new thought

Post by Pedorro » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:41 pm

For all the crying about how to treat newbs and guys being sick of this shit - as I write this there are some 60 or 80 members online and 536 or so lurkers. Thats five hundred something lurkers, and it's always that way. I can wake up at 4 in the morning and there is always somebody here to talk to - or at, if I so choose.

Take a look at the "IA" board right now there are 14 member and 36 guests. Nice tame place with good TR's.
I like both boards for different reasons and my local board for other reasons. I've never seen a site with so much continuous content going on as here. Some of it dodgy albeit.
And guys I have met and PM'd with have been top notch and very helpful. (Granted I have not met Fallen513 or Austrotard yet)

Somebody must like it here!
At the end of the day I don't give a shit whether there are titties on here or not,(trade titties for cabins) but the process of having a ritual and the potential for things to go sideways is the reason that douches like GoldenBeetle and Mikeo have given up and left the building. They act like dicks for a while get treated like dicks and get tired of hanging out. That's deomocracy. It's also the reason that nobody is asking "what is the best color of backing to use?". There are tons of sites for those guys.

Hanging out here is about reading between the lines. Text is sparse and nobody is there giving you the wink, slap on the shoulder or the elbow to the ribs. Get over it.

I've winced a few times watching guys crash and burn but hey, like somebody said "Stay down Rockey" turn the page...

Whatever the powers that be come up with....DSFK is not negotiable IMHO.
That Fly took such a shellackin' I just wanted put a warm towel on her shoulders and
giver her a bowl of chicken soup…Blumpkin

We have an easygoing and demotivated freemarket type of uslessness here...JhnnyThndr

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Pedorro wrote: Somebody must like it here!
At the end of the day I don't give a shit whether there are titties on here or not,(trade titties for cabins) but the process of having a ritual and the potential for things to go sideways is the reason that douches like GoldenBeetle and Mikeo have given up and left the building. They act like dicks for a while get treated like dicks and get tired of hanging out. That's deomocracy. It's also the reason that nobody is asking "what is the best color of backing to use?". There are tons of sites for those guys.
While I don't care about DFSK, and I don't post a ton, I agree with the above. To me, either a good TR as an intro, or doing the standard intro seems to work. I, like Bob, try to look into their soul, so to speak. If some dude posts a bunch of shitty pictures, than Idon't think there is much there.

I'd like to point out, I got an A on the test before there was directions. I'm no rocket scientist, the test is not that hard! But again, to me its the spirit behind the submitted test. Since there are now directions, who the hell cares if someone checks it off a bunch of uninspired photos.

G
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:21 pm

2 reasons that an intro shall be required:

1.) It shows that the person has been around long enough to see how things work. They paid attention if they got it right. A strainer of sorts, that filters out the vast amount of douchebags the internet & fly fishing has to offer. We are the wet spaghetti that remains. Congratulations.

c.) For a large portion of the members, you can look at their very first post, whether it was yesterday or a few years ago...and see the water they fish, cork sucking, rods with no lines on them, fish with no flies in their mouthes, spin caught lakers, their god, how bad they fucked it up or whatever length they went to, to be accepted. (Where's my brisket wildmon?! Can you overnight that shit?)

3a) Titties, beer, watches, guns, pie, dead shit for everybody.

And while we're at it, let's make fire a prerequisite. A campfire, a dead hooker...whatever. Burn something, and take a picture of it, include it or be shit upon by the masses.

Amen.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

RT

Post by RT » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:18 pm

I think a good intro would be coming up with a great idea for a new intro and using that as your intro. Any of you 5trillionplus lurkers want to take a stab at being the hottest new trend setter of internet fly fishing message boards?

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 pm

RT wrote:I think a good intro would be coming up with a great idea for a new intro and using that as your intro. Any of you 5trillionplus lurkers want to take a stab at being the hottest new trend setter of internet fly fishing message boards?
^^^^^^This

and maybe some sort of grade/point system given by members to make sure no lame excuses slip through the cracks
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

fatman

Post by fatman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:28 pm

fishpimp wrote:..the only time my wife let me get a pic of those jugs they ended up on here.
be honest; how many guys went back and looked at Pimp's intro? (fuckin liars) :wink
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 pm

fatman wrote:
fishpimp wrote:..the only time my wife let me get a pic of those jugs they ended up on here.
be honest; how many guys went back and looked at Pimp's intro? (fuckin liars) :wink
this guy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

Genome

Post by Genome » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:33 pm

From a newbs perspective,

I was introduced to the Drake by a good friend and immediately loved what I saw, what I read, and that I had to read between the lines. My friend wisely told me to keep my head low and lurk for a while. I lurked for over a year and loved the whole process of preparing my intro, doing the background research, getting the back history on drake forum, etc

I'm on here everyday and haven't posted since my intro back in September, I don't feel like I deserve to yet. I have waited to post on other threads because I wanted my next post to be a TR, but I'm mostly a warm water guy and its fucking cold.

So here's my suggestion:

Step one post a proper intro with the requirements we expect

Step two shut up and don't post again until you post a TR

Best of both

Tailer

Post by Tailer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:33 pm

I did. :needs_pics
if you break into my car, I'll go knock a granny on the head - 2Fish

fishpimp

Post by fishpimp » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Tailer wrote:I did. :needs_pics
You saw em...you responded to the post before my wife's thingies got removed by photobucket.
"You look like the type'a guy that gets outta' the shower to take a piss"- Diceman

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:52 pm

I posted with no intro . Hoping my funbag fancy avatar gives me a pass. I think some will come with their a game and some will not. Doesn't matter what the rules are going to be.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:04 pm

perhaps we should have a constitution. :coffee
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice