This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
This seems like an unlikely combination. . .when I first saw it I thought I was reading The Onion.
http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/205597691.html
Last edited by Adams on Tue May 07, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's true Ajax - SA has made Whorevis' fly lines for years. They contracted with Ross to make fly reels quite a while ago too (DXR's?)

I'd bet all of Ross' US manufacturing gets moved to Asia before too long. Gotam Whorevis.
Good move by both companies. Personal feelings of people's opinion of Orvis aside, they are a well ran company. 3M is a well ran company as well. 3M is an investment grade credit that has outperformed the market for years. Ross and SA are both non contributors to their core business and they want to streamline their product lines like every other manufacture right now. It is a smart move that will probably lead to better returns for their already happy shareholders.

Orvis wins in this as well. They get better manufacturing capabilities as well as lower production costs for some of the things they already had 3M/Ross manufacture for them (lines, etc) and also bolster their balance sheet by adding the P,P &E of the facilities in both Michigan and Colorado. All on a discount to boot.
The only thing orvis does well is make reels. I really like them. Their rods are god awful their waders are sieves and their dog beds are obviously chew toys (ok don't know about their dog beds). But I like their reels, so I look forward to see Ross actually manufacture something quality again. As far as lines go, well, another good pickup for orvis.
ak_powder_monkey wrote:The only thing orvis does well is make reels. I really like them. Their rods are god awful their waders are sieves and their dog beds are obviously chew toys (ok don't know about their dog beds). But I like their reels, so I look forward to see Ross actually manufacture something quality again. As far as lines go, well, another good pickup for orvis.
Willi has a sweet Orvis rod. He loves it. I borrowed it for a bit, and was rather impressed.

Now, I ordered a pair of wading boots years ago that fell part in literally a couple of trips. Their zingers: the logo falls off on most of them.
ak_powder_monkey wrote:The only thing orvis does well is make reels. I really like them. Their rods are god awful their waders are sieves and their dog beds are obviously chew toys (ok don't know about their dog beds). But I like their reels, so I look forward to see Ross actually manufacture something quality again. As far as lines go, well, another good pickup for orvis.

Just curious if you've ever cast a helios? Or for that matter a Zero Gravity or even a T3? Once they got past that Trident PM10 POS they've actually been putting out some pretty nice rods. I like their mid arbor/Access reels for a nice budget reel, CFO's are nice (if they still make them) haven't been a fan of their higher end salt reels since the Oddessy.
steelhyde wrote:Sigh
I hope you raided the inventory. . .I need a 7wt full sinker for the streamer rod.
As the two previous posters said, i'm not convinced that you have ever casted many Orvis rods. The helios, zero gravity, etc are pretty nice rods. I have a hydros and like it quite a bit. Most people (outside barstock battenkills, cfo's and other classics) don't like orvis reels. The Mach reels are some of the biggest peices of shit ever manufactured. I like my standards, but everytime they have tried to create a new design they have flopped, imo.

People dog on their marketing, snobbyness, shit lines (I personally don't mind them), overpriced gear and general gheyness... but I think most rational people can agree that they make some nice rods.

I hate to admit this too... they're dog beds really are the shit.

Happy fourth of July...

Earth has exceeded its load limit. Let the dumb d[…]

your wife does Yes... She told me about your […]

Luau 2020

Wish I could, but nay, I cannae. Hopefully next y[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine