3M selling Scientific Anglers & Ross to Orvis-TP Banned

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Ginseng Sullivan

Re: 3M to sell Scientific Anglers & Ross to Orvis

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Sun May 05, 2013 7:54 am

funny i see that same scenario as what's totally wrong with the industry. lets take your example of Farbank as rio sage and redington. those three companies were run well and had great interaction with their dealers and also great relationships. let's look at Rio. anyone remember Rio's slogan of never being in Crapbelas and specifically catering to fly shops? yeah i didn't think most of you would. they were a small company, made great products and worked well with their dealers. on top of that they were very profitable. obtained by Farbank and all of that went away in minutes. they were in every catalog the following fall. board rooms make the decisions now, not the people who make the products. the biggest company i deal with by far and the worst service.

i'm sure they make someone more money now but believe me, it's not the company it was.

so sorry for SA, you're dealing with walmart now.

none of us will be better off if Orvis and Farbank own everything.

cantfishforshit.

Post by cantfishforshit. » Sun May 05, 2013 8:34 am

I think if the quality goes down, they may make a better profit for a few quarters, but it won't last. Being in Cabela's doesn't mean there is a loss of quality. The real tragedy is that we are losing many of our mom and pop shops to these giants.
“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

Spudnik

Post by Spudnik » Sun May 05, 2013 9:44 am

cantfishforshit. wrote:I think if the quality goes down, they may make a better profit for a few quarters, but it won't last. Being in Cabela's doesn't mean there is a loss of quality. The real tragedy is that we are losing many of our mom and pop shops to these giants.
Remember when Salmo bought that rod at Cabelas and then lamented the closing of his local shop? That was hysterical.

Lots more mom and pop shops are going to close if they don't get with the times. It ain't all the big guys fault, the small shops got to get with it. Just the way it is.
"Do you think it is real? I bet it is hard and soft, like hard muscle but really smooth skin. I bet it is real nice." - midstream

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Sun May 05, 2013 10:27 am

If/when small shops fail, it's not the fault of the big boxes. It's the fault of the customers. We have people come in to the shop and get a casting lesson and try out several rods, or try on waders or boots, and walk out of the shop and go right over to Cabela's or Bass Pro to make their purchase. I understand wanting the best price. But where will they go, to actually get service, when the mom and pop's are gone?

My first rod was a used Orvis. It got the job done. Wonderline??? Not so much.

I own several Ross reels and they have all been excellent.

I have SA lines on some of my reels and have no complaints.

My hope is that SA and Ross don't lose quality or completely go away as brands.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

LTD

Post by LTD » Sun May 05, 2013 11:36 am

ditchdoc wrote:If/when small shops fail, it's not the fault of the big boxes. It's the fault of the customers. We have people come in to the shop and get a casting lesson and try out several rods, or try on waders or boots, and walk out of the shop and go right over to Cabela's or Bass Pro to make their purchase. I understand wanting the best price. But where will they go, to actually get service, when the mom and pop's are gone?

My first rod was a used Orvis. It got the job done. Wonderline??? Not so much.

I own several Ross reels and they have all been excellent.

I have SA lines on some of my reels and have no complaints.

My hope is that SA and Ross don't lose quality or completely go away as brands.
Ditch...I think it is safe to say both companies will go away with all the product produced from those facilities falling under the ORVIS name. No more.."SA" and no more "ROSS" The quality issue remains to be seen.
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Mon May 06, 2013 1:03 pm

I doubt that many of you care, but just wanted you all to know that I asked Grant and Jed to Ban TP last night. For good.

Most of you know my history for tolerance and his history for pushing it. But calling a long-time member's wife a "fucking slut" and telling him that he'd spend money "if he weren't such a jew" was the last straw.

His constant asshole routine got old a long time ago. But the ignorant bigot? Not on my board. I'm done with that dude.
"Any mods on this forum or what? It's just a free for all of people being assholes to one another?"

fatman

Post by fatman » Mon May 06, 2013 1:12 pm

My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

tailingpermit

Post by tailingpermit » Mon May 06, 2013 1:34 pm

nemo wrote:But the ignorant bigot? Not on my board. I'm done with that dude.
And now I sit back and wait for nemo to ban every member that called
another a fag.

It's only fair, right?

jerome

Post by jerome » Mon May 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Nothing is more funny to me now than a bitter, trustafarian douchebag having a meltdown.

More likely to end up dead in a ditch somewhere than back in Florida in 2 years. Just a matter of time before pissing off the wrong person for those types.

Wooly, did you move back east?

I am pissed at Orvis for discontinuing the Battenkill MA and turning the bombproof, classic looking reel into a flimsy, pieces of shit. I'd say its a pretty good sign of quality when the spools are bringing as much as the reel were new. Ive got 6 IV and V's and Got two waiting on me to buy, the reels were a bargain for the price. Wish I could say that about other reels I've used that cost 2-3x more in many cases.

When I started fly fishing, my only option for a decent rod was an orvis clearwater, 7'9" 5wt. I really wish I still had that rod sometimes.

I find the helios switch rods to be a little on the light side. Great feel and nice for nymphing and dries, but setting the 7wt up for sink tips and streamers of any size was almost impossible. Much happier with the Echo SR I bought.

As far as lines, I'm using all Air flo these days. Havent had any of the issues I had with SA and Rio. I've even found a few lines sold by small companies at around $30 retail unless they are having a 2 for 1 sale that are some of the best floating lines Ive fished in certain situations and on certain rods.
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Mon May 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Will you ban me next?

No, really, please?

tailingpermit

Post by tailingpermit » Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 pm

jerome wrote:Nothing is more funny to me now than a bitter, trustafarian douchebag having a meltdown.

More likely to end up dead in a ditch somewhere than back in Florida in 2 years. Just a matter of time before pissing off the wrong person for those types.

Now that's fucking funny coming from the guy who's facebox reads like
a Daniel Steele novel, and has to commute to another state just for a
shop rat job because he's burned every Idaho bridge. :standing ovation:

Edit: I do agree the slut reference was over the line, I apologize to Whooly
for making that comment. But, as far as the Jew comment - I've had enough
fag references thrown my way to see no one make the slightest peep about it,
hypocritical.

tailingpermit

Post by tailingpermit » Mon May 06, 2013 2:21 pm