Southern Classic - TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
franzen

Southern Classic - TR

Post by franzen » Mon May 06, 2013 9:10 pm

[report]

Wow, where do I even start? First off I want to give a big shout to Towee Boats, S.C.O.F., 3RA, Fly South, and Primo Tail because if it weren't for them we wouldn't have had a tourney to fish in. Also a big shout to Todd Gregory for organizing the whole shindig, he did a fantastic job!

It was nice to see some familiar faces that I hadn't seen in far too long. I also got to put quite a few faces to names over the weekend. Socks, Chidester, and I teamed up for the tourney. I was the man on the sticks and Socks, and Chidester were the anglers. With the three of us combined we had just over 30 days of combined musky experience. Yeah, we're real pros.

After the angler meeting on Friday morning it was off to the river. We arrived to see a raft already in the water. We hopscotched with the other raft all day and the fishing was slow. While the whole time we were getting text updates from my old man telling us of all the fish landed. About halfway through our float as we were exiting a fast skinny stretch of river we spotted a prime lie. A nice big creek mouth, timber, and the start of a nice slow deep pool. I rowed us into position and on about the third cast, as Chidester is pulling his fly out of the water to recast, I see something in the corner of my eye. "Fish! Fish! Fish!". Going all day without seeing a fish can make a man get a little lazy, he never even saw the fish he rose. It just levitated right next to the boat. Socks, hearing my shouts, instantly stuck his rod in the water and started figure eighting. No dice. We backed off the spot and hung out for 20 minutes or so, giving the fish a chance to post back up. We tried to move him again but he just wasn't having it. We saw one other fish all day and the guys we were hopscotching moved three. At the end of day there were four teams on the board ranging from 34" to 48". We headed back to the cabin a little disappointed in ourselves for not putting a fish in the boat on the first day. However we didn't let it stop us from enjoying the festivities and Kyle's guitar strummin'.

Our cabin didn't awaken until mid Saturday morning. We walked around rubbing our eyes, and looking for some water. We happened to notice the lack of boats outside and then how late it was. We had slept in. We didn't worry too much though, it's not like it was a pleasant day or anything. It was absolutely dumping rain out. We weren't even sure we were going to have fishable water levels. We got all of our gear ready and headed out to Waffle House for some breakfast. During breakfast we discussed our options; we could do the same float we had done the day before, float a lower section of the river, or not even float at all. We came to the conclusion that we'd do the same float because we knew exactly where five fish were; that is if the water allowed us. By the time we got to the boat ramp it was noon and there was no sign of the rain letting up. We checked the river out and it looked the exact same as it had the day before. We ran our shuttle and were off. Our game plan was to push through most of the water and just work the five fish that were moved the day prior. As we made our way down stream we were having a blast. We were telling jokes, singing songs, rapping, anything we could do to keep our morale up. As we pushed downstream we came across an all to familiar creek mouth. I slid us into position and we told Chidester it was time for his redemption. He made cast after cast duplicating the one that had moved the fish the day before. There was no sign of a musky at all. As Chidester kept working the lie Socks lobbed some line into no mans land. As his fly neared the boat I hear him yell "Fish!". I looked down and the fish was glowing; Socks swept the rod, the fish coiled up, and then inhaled the fly. I got the net in the water and we had the fish in it in no more than 20 seconds. There was everything from high fives to hugs given. We got the fish out of the net and taped him; 41" 's of toothy critter. Cameras were brought out and photos taken before getting the fish back on his way. We hopped in the boat and just sat there reliving it all, talking about the eat and describing it over and over again to one another like none of us had seen it. Team RamRod is on the board! By the time we started fishing again the river had turned to chocolate milk. I pushed us through the rest of the water to the take out. The three of us were content with the outcome of our day.[/report]
"Marine mammals and centaurs are natural compliments to one another." - Spudnik

franzen

Re: Southern Classic - TR

Post by franzen » Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 pm

[report]Here's a sneak peek, Socks and Chidester have the rest of the pics.

Image[/report]
"Marine mammals and centaurs are natural compliments to one another." - Spudnik

Socks

Post by Socks » Mon May 06, 2013 9:24 pm

My addition shall be up pronto

V Wake

Post by V Wake » Mon May 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Great to meet you guys, and congrats again on a great fish! You gotta love it when a plan comes together.

cool manchu

Post by cool manchu » Mon May 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Nice work boys! :cool
"Drop the "Too Cool for School" attitude and maybe everyone won't punch you in the fuck." -Sugarbush

All things Drake related I'm avoiding after reading the Drake Message Board. How a magazine like the Drake can sanction such behavior is beyond me. Sexist, homophobic and downright hostile. - Anonymous

fatman

Post by fatman » Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Waffle House rocks.

Socks is really fucked now... :wink
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Socks

Post by Socks » Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 am

[report]Like franzen I am having problems trying to get my thoughts out about this trip. I want to start off by shouting out to all the sponsors of the shin-dig, and Todd personally for the time and effort put into this for all of us misfits to get together. Meeting new people, putting faces to handles and living it up every night I can say with confidence was just as good as fishing for the three of us on team RAMROD. But getting out on the water the first day with all of the anticipation built up, I cant say I didn't love it. Franzen told it pretty well above day one was a slight disappointment with the constant buzz of the phone updates left us all wondering when would it be our turn, and heading back to the cabins with empty cameras left a lingering feeling of failure.Regardless this didn't leave the night with out its fun, strumming to the six sting and off key wagon wheel into the late hours made for a great night.
waking up late to not so primo conditions and deciding to fish oddly left the team with an odd positive energy. I remember hearing both of the other guys say "I just have a good feeling about today". staying quite and thinking the same thing to my self the day ended up pretty well. It doesn't do the fish,team, or the moment any justification if I tried to describe it, but the epicness of the eat is imprinted in my mind and excitement in the moments afterward where just well Damn awesome. This was a team effort and the team celebrated. I got a few crappy pictures, and I think they did to. Like I do most of the time even though I have been slacking of lately ill let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

Image[/report]

HPFF

Post by HPFF » Tue May 07, 2013 6:20 am

Nice going boys...looks like a damn fine time! :cool
"Pork on the plate and pigs in the drink." Ironman

RaZ

Post by RaZ » Tue May 07, 2013 6:49 am

good work duuds!
"Then let us know how that goes, you smug motherfucker"

steelhound

Post by steelhound » Tue May 07, 2013 7:16 am

Looks like a hellofagood time boys
frustrated. After a few "what the fucks?" "i suck"s and a break on shore I convinced her to get back to casting. I clearly remember this question/statement "so you actually think this is fun. These fish are fucked"
Marlo

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Tue May 07, 2013 8:05 am

Fukk yes! Cackolack rapresenting :cool
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

El Jeffe

Post by El Jeffe » Tue May 07, 2013 8:09 am

That didn't suck.

Nice work pulling out a DTFH song.