Help Needed...Texas Coast (Port Isabel Area)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
HPFF

Help Needed...Texas Coast (Port Isabel Area)

Post by HPFF » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Blind squirrel looking for a nut here. I'm Leaving KC Sunday morning and heading to San Antonio area to visit some of the wifes family for a day or so and then continuing on South to the coast for a few days of R&R. Not a fishing trip unfortunately but I've already got the bug in her ear that she can plan on sleeping in and ordering room service at least one morning we're down there. Plan on being in the Port Isabel area and wondered as to the accessibility for a wade fisherman to get into any fish. Obviously reds or trout would be awesome but I'm not picky about species , just like to get bent.
I know there are lots of beaches in the area but I'm thinking that's not where my quarry will be??
Any advice greatly appreciated.
A little something for your trouble.....
"Pork on the plate and pigs in the drink." Ironman

steelrain202

Re: Help Needed...Texas Coast (Port Isabel Area)

Post by steelrain202 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:46 pm

thats a bit farther south than i ventured when i lived there, but while in slamantonio go to chris madrids for a phenomenal burger
the only thing I've learned from reading this entire thread is that the hokey pokey isn't really what it's all about.

lying bastards.~shunned

TidewateR

Post by TidewateR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:11 pm

pm monkey brains

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:28 pm

I drank beer at POC once. But only in the morning. Mostly, I drank bourbon. But I also saw a couple acre wide school of redfish in the middle of winter. Of course, I can't help you find them, but it was cool to see.

And Tx breakfast burritos are fucking awesome. The homemade doughnuts on every corner aren't too bad either. But The coffee is shit in those fuckhole towns. So find some good coffee stouts before you get into the coast and just drink those with your breakfast burritos. Or do like I did and drink bourbon in your nasty gas station coffee.

Either way, life is gonna be fine as soon as you get on that scooter.
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:04 pm

head across the bridge to spi and fish the jetty. Tarpon will still be there, possible snook, kings, smacks, jacks, reds, trout, ladyfish. there is no telling what you'll catch but for a quick morning trip that is your best bet.
http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/

Pancho Rancho

Post by Pancho Rancho » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm pretty sure they have blocked the wade access in Port Isabel. There used to be a place you could walk in at Laguna Vista. Good good for specs and reds. You might be able to wade behind the Walmart as well. Check with the fly shop. The jetties at Andy Bowie park are cool but if you have some time drive around to the Boca Chica jetties. Used to be that there were a lot fewer folks there. If you have a beach worthy vehicle you can drive up the island on the beach looking for cuts and fish them. You can almost always catch whiting in the back side of sand bars any where along the beach. Square grouper come in pretty regularly along the beach as well.
Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish

Oh, and nice fishes. Randall Dee

Billy Baroo

Post by Billy Baroo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:44 pm

steelrain202 wrote:thats a bit farther south than i ventured when i lived there, but while in slamantonio go to chris madrids for a phenomenal burger
X2 on chris Madrids. The Porkys burger is awesome. Or get some crispy dogs, super nachos and a schooner of cold beer from M.K. Davis. But since they re-did the old pearl brewery there is a awesome restaurant called La Gloria. The margaritas will kick your ass and the street tacos are great. And you cant forget the breakfast on a bun at Whataburger.

Crispy Dogs

La Gloria Street Tacos

HPFF

Post by HPFF » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:16 am

Thanks guys...great information , all of it. Now I'm not only looking forward to maybe sticking a fish or two , I'm also thinking about some of that good food!!
Keep it coming....I truly appreciate the advice. :cool

TX.

Post by TX. » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:45 am

If you have the dough for a guide, I'd look up Capt. Eric Glass.
He'll do anything you want, from reds on the flats to snook in the ship channel, or the jetties.
Sorry, can't help you that far south w/ walk-in opportunities.
If you've never fished salt flats, a guide is a good investment the first time out.
Good luck.
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

Trucha Del Mar

Post by Trucha Del Mar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:58 am

HPFF - Check yer PMs.
Goin' back to Houston, do the hot dog dance. Goin' back to Houston, to get me some pants.

The sheepshead fish has human teeth, but it's OK because it won't give you a psychedelic crisis.

bring your own lampshade, somewhere there's a party...

Fishwater

Post by Fishwater » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:44 pm

What are the actual dates you'll be down there?
The famous are rarely relevant, the relevant rarely famous.

HPFF

Post by HPFF » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:18 am

FishWater.... It looks like I'll be in the area Tuesday - Friday of next week. Looking forward to a change of scenery for a few days. :cool