This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Kylemc
Well that was cool!
By chadroc
sick trip. very jealous at 0degrees and no sign of a warm up. well done.
By Palometa
Fine fish pics and that ranch looks like a target rich environment. That was great.
By Shufisher
Pretty work trut...pretty work! Hope you have the chance to pop some of those hogs next time...vermin!

What's green and smell like bacon...Kermit's finger.
By woolly bugger
way awesome, way
By root wad
Great country, great photos and great fish but I'm a bit with Ginny. Sad that a few of them could not be caught with a little style and a little soul. When you get the chance you will know why. :cool
By MTgrayling
Willi wrote:
Ginseng Sullivan wrote:you're still waiting for your first tug.

kinda snarky, no???

Willi
Snarky or not, truth.

This one might have the patience to proceed.
By truteya
Willi wrote:
kinda snarky, no???

Willi
It's ok, it's been a long winter and I knew this much bobbered steel would be offensive for some guys. I don't yet know if I'll have the patience and commitment to do what you guys do. When we asked Aaron his thoughts about swinging and two hand rods, I couldn't see his face but I'm pretty sure his eyes rolled almost completely back in his head, I think every sport that's been in his boat for the last 5 years has asked the same question. He explained that we were a hundred miles from the coast and these fish have been in the system for a while and are behaving more like trout. They'll swing and skate in the summer this far inland, but with the the limited time he has on the water with a rod in his hand, swinging for these fish in the winter is not worth his time. He will, however, swing at fresh winter fish when the coastal rivers are in shape. I'd like to try and hit the coast next time and I'm sure that could be my demise.
By Willi
truteya wrote:
Willi wrote:
kinda snarky, no???

Willi
It's ok, it's been a long winter and I knew this much bobbered steel would be offensive for some guys.

IMHO, "style and soul" has more to do with how an angler handles himself than the techniques used. Two hand swinging is a very effective techniques for covering a lot of water, but two handed swinging has even become somewhat popular around here in CO. You're Colorado guy and maybe you've seen the same things I have around here. I see people fishing two handers on streams I can cast across with a 4 weight - their lines rip up the stream with their cast and scare away every fish for a hundred feet. I've also had "swingers" walk up on me from across the river and have had them cast their fly within feet of where I'm standing. I've seen them monopolize a big sections of water by standing in a spot for a long time and covering as much water as they can with their casts. I just walk farther.

Now I know that swinging is "cool" and my point isn't to rag on two handers but I see this stuff and find it laughable that it's being done with "style and soul".

I also find the sanctimonious bullshit off putting.

Willi
By bcollins
you know California sucks and nobody wants to come here , you are doing it wrong , we are the reason Colorado legalized weed , just ask them .
By root wad
So long as the resource is treated with respect folks can fish however they want. One would think, though, that after hooking 8 or 10 steelhead in a day watching bobbers that trying an option that many think is way more rewarding might have been considered. Believe me, feeling that line come tight is way more the rush than watching your bobber disappear. It does not take a spey rod to fish a swung fly. My issue is not with any particular technique but more with a guide who feels that catching as many steelhead as possible in a day is necessary to have a good time. In my world it is an honor to be in the same river with those awesome fish. Any encounter, however brief, is quite special. It is just not an essential to catch as many as possible in order to maximize the experience. Sanctimonious? Not at all. I don't look down on people who choose to catch these fish in the easiest way possible. I do, however, look up to the fish too much to do so myself.
A Confession

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc

The return of Stolen Hours

1-22-2020 - 2 Between five or six doctors&rsq[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Hare’s Ear Hedgehog https://live.stati[…]

Fu@#&^# Drake

the photofuckit assholes are holding my shit hosta[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine