Banff, Canadia..........

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Wannabee

Banff, Canadia..........

Post by Wannabee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 am

Going in July. Any suggestions or recommendations?
banffpay1.jpg
banffpay1.jpg (50.16 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
banffpay2.jpg
banffpay2.jpg (91.98 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
"You can't let a bar die. A church......maybe.", Hoop

fatman

Re: Banff, Canadia..........

Post by fatman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 am

Wannabee wrote:Going in July. Any suggestions or recommendations?
yes; take that ginger with you.
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

RaZ

Post by RaZ » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 am

from what i hear banff is pretty touristy, but plenty of seriously remote places within the area.
peetso will be your man.

ANDDDD that ginger should travel.
"Then let us know how that goes, you smug motherfucker"

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:36 am

Banff is nice. The Upper Bow runs right through town. There are fish there, but its not the fishing of the Bow down through and below Calgary. The fishll be small. There are some good alpine lakes around if you have a vehicle and like hiking (a lot of hiking).

Wannabee

Post by Wannabee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 am

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:Banff is nice. The Upper Bow runs right through town. There are fish there, but its not the fishing of the Bow down through and below Calgary. The fishll be small. There are some good alpine lakes around if you have a vehicle and like hiking (a lot of hiking).
I plan on spending the money for a guide for one day. leaning towards walk/wade vs. Lake. But if Lake is the way to go up there that would be fine too. might try on my own outside of the guided trip.

Any Guide Recommendations?

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:08 am

Not a one. If you are hiring a guide, youd be better served paying for a float on the trophy water of the Bow closer to Calgary. If you are just going to be fishing the glacial streams up there then dont pay for a guide -- just tie on a size 12 stimulator and go catch some fish.

Wannabee

Post by Wannabee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:14 am

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:Not a one. If you are hiring a guide, youd be better served paying for a float on the trophy water of the Bow closer to Calgary. If you are just going to be fishing the glacial streams up there then dont pay for a guide -- just tie on a size 12 stimulator and go catch some fish.
we'll be sticking in the banff area, so this is good advice. thanks.

Pancho Rancho

Post by Pancho Rancho » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 am

Bobaloo lives in Calgary and will likely chime in. Stay away from my daughter.
Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish

Oh, and nice fishes. Randall Dee

peetso

Post by peetso » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:44 am

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:Not a one. If you are hiring a guide, youd be better served paying for a float on the trophy water of the Bow closer to Calgary. If you are just going to be fishing the glacial streams up there then dont pay for a guide -- just tie on a size 12 stimulator and go catch some fish.
This is extremely solid advice.
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:19 am

Another thing...

Avoid the siren call of the Tiemco 200r luring you in with its long shank and sexy curves. Its luscious lines are ever-enticing, helping you fool yourself into believing that the stimulator tied upon will be the fly of all flies that will lead you to glory as soon as it sets down gently upon the river. Yet, its feminine figure hides underlying flaws making its performance as a fishing hook subpar -- its small gape lacks the hooking efficiency of more traditional hooks and its curvature makes breaks at the bend a real probability which if unnoticed will cause further misses of takes adding unnecessary frustration.

I have been wronged by the 200r hook.

markl

Post by markl » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 am

The Bow around Banff is alright, but, as noted by many, pales in comparison to the Bow South of Calgary. There's not much solid fishing around there, though lots worth wading if you are there for other reasons. As a rule of thumb, the further towards Calgary you can go, the better it will be. I've fished around Exshaw, and it was not bad, but smaller fish.
But, I was there years ago, and you can surely get better and more current suggestions.
Now, as for off the water, though totally touristy, don't miss a chance for a drink in the bar at the Banff Springs Hotel overlooking the 18th hole. Pretty sweet. Though, the town has gone completely overboard for tourists. I'm not sure they still do it, but taking the lift to the top of Mt Norquay (Ski Hill about 5 minutes from town) is worth it for the awesome view, and they used to have a tea hut up there (years ago).
Enjoy!

marlo

Post by marlo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:15 am

[/quote] though totally touristy, don't miss a chance for a drink in the bar at the Banff Springs Hotel overlooking the 18th hole.
Enjoy![/quote]

↑ this.

I used to have a picture of my rig rocket, beat to shit pathfinder next to a lambo out front. Side windows done in tuk tape after being hit by a pissed off buck en route.

Also, dont trust the french chicks. Do trust the swedes.
Here's hoping that we teach our children well...
And just maybe...to give those responsible a good kick in the fuck...
-CC