Do any of you guys know about auto retrieve reels?

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Do any of you guys know about auto retrieve reels?

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 am

I think thats a thing.

Do you reckon the retrieval power on these things is potent enough to properly fish a buzzbait with a fly rod?

root wad

Re: Do any of you guys know about auto retrieve reels?

Post by root wad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:48 am

My reel does it quite nicely. You just have to remember to take your finger off the trigger before your boober breaks the tiptop off your rod. I little practice with a friends rod goes a long way.
Life is a whole lot more simple when you plow around the stump.
"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns."

fatman

Post by fatman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:04 am

intriguing. I may need to test this theory. Need to trek to the local BassProShop to find a bait that's small enough to cast. :smile

Wait, does anyone have a Pro Deal?
bb6.jpg
bb6.jpg (100.45 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:44 am

no, but Clouser JR. works at the one close to here. isnt auto/ spring the same thing? guess you would have to have one in the ball park of the speed of the retrive you are looking for.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:52 am

I was thinking I could rig the motor of an RC car to my Hardy reel somehow to make it spin fast enough for buzzbait retrieval. Ill have a battery pack attached to a wrist band then run the wiring from the battery park to the fixed RC motor which, after casting, can be flipped on with a switch which will make that buzzbait do its thing.

This is a backup plan, however, as itll be moot if these auto retrieve reels have the powah to burn a buzzbait.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:08 am

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:I think thats a thing.

Do you reckon the retrieval power on these things is potent enough to properly fish a buzzbait with a fly rod?
learn the power of the apostrophe and then eat a dick.

offence,
with a c,

shawn
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:15 am

I think that answers your question.
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 am

There is no way an apostrophe has the umpf to burn a buzzbait the way a buzzbait is meant to be burned so Ive no idea what you are on about this time.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:25 am

eat a dick.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks, but no thanks.

Greenback

Post by Greenback » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:47 am

Whatever you do, be careful if opening an automatic reel. That coil spring is a bitch to put back in the right place. Holy hell it sucks.

You'll only do it once… :coffee

K_P

Post by K_P » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:09 pm

Greenback wrote:Whatever you do, be careful if opening an automatic reel. That coil spring is a bitch to put back in the right place. Holy hell it sucks.

You'll only do it once… :coffee
This is pure bullshit.

I think you should by the highest quality (read: most expensive) automatic reel you can find. Don't worry about affordability--spend even more money than you feel you can afford.

The reason I say this is because the quality of the spring steel goes up dramatically in the high priced autos. This is critical, given what I'm about to tell you.

The secret to achieving the results you desire is opening up said reel, shortening the spring by a full third, and then heat-tempering/oil quenching the spring. By doing so, you'll improve both the speed, strength, and durability of the spring.

After you've completed the tempering process, re-install the spring (trust me, it's a snap.)

You.
Are.
Welcome.