This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Mangina
Well its been some time since I've contributed. Mostly as all I have done is complain about the winter and wait for saltwater season. Spent time tying but who wants to see or hear about any of that.

Had a chance to join some friends a few days ago for what would be my first salt of 2014. Clearly looking forward to much more and the kickoff was fantastic!!! Hard not to be as several of my close friends gathered for food, rum, beer, and fishing. All the pieces were there so it was simply a matter of putting it together.

The illustruious host and owner of our lodging is a champ. Guy loves to entertain and "mi casa es su casa" applies. As I walk into the house, I was greeted with a Cuba Libre before a handshake. The handshake quickly followed as did smiles and the same from the others already there. Rods were strung and high hopes for high sun, low winds, and clear water were discussed. People kept filing in and arrived before last call for alcohol. Not much of this left for the late arrivals.
drakeceviche.jpg
drakeceviche.jpg (129.33 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Dawn broke the following day and its been some time since I sat on a porch, slowly drank a cup of coffee to the bottom, and watched the sun rise through blowing palms. Wind was up a bit but the clouds were more concerning. The send off with rasberry pancakes, sausage, and well wishes was a good start. The chaos of relocating three vehicles and skiffs to the ramp was entertaining. All found the water.

Even better was despite heavy cloud cover after teases of light, most brought fish to hand.
drakeaprilred.jpg
drakeaprilred.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
drakeaprilclose2.jpg
drakeaprilclose2.jpg (53.81 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
The fish we managed were on the smaller side and were very well earned. The low light made spotting fish a reward let alone getting a fly to them. We've all had the occassional silly mindless days which are great but the couple of fish caught for me were tremendously rewarding and as entertaining.
drakeaprilred2.jpg
drakeaprilred2.jpg (50.86 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
drakeaprilredclose.jpg
drakeaprilredclose.jpg (43.96 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Great Day 1 as the company and rewards of a tasking day were most enjoyable. Shufisher, a man of his word, had sent a bottle of dark Nicaraguan rum for a handlful of benchgrindings I sent him. I clearly won the trade. The bottle was sipped over ice, poured with some coke, or blended with a nice orange/mango juice. It was as big as a hit as being there with friends. Timing was perfect, thanks Shu!!!!

Day 2 started the same as the first with a few less guests. Several had only a day to give but I managed to stick around. With clouds, we toyed with anoter option and a friend residing in the area had a good plan. Nothing, nothing, nothing can help more than local know how!!!

While I strained to see a single undersized red in low light, I made out the water discoloration of a large school of predatory fish fairly easily.

Jack crevalle have to be one of my favorites. Pure bruts!!! Not afriad of a thing and eat all in sight. They are an ominus creature by themselves but in a pack they simply become scary!!!

"You see them (sacracstically)? Just get it to them and strip as fast as you can." Ahhhhhh yes the ol familiar instructions for getting an eat.
drakejack3.jpg
drakejack3.jpg (50.97 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
drakefight.jpg
drakefight.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
drakejack4.jpg
drakejack4.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
After the second one, which was truly awful, my buddy says, "lets go get another one to eat." I said no. I was done. Hell let a guy drink a beer before you ask him to get back up there but as we all know, conditions dont last. With a little name calling, he came close to getting me up there but my freshly uncorked Red Stripe had my attention. I sais, "I wont get up there but I will run the boat." It took little convincing. On the bow, he managed to get bit also.

We talked about the strain on you, tackle, and rod as we fought our fish. While he was on, he made comment about this being it before we chased redfish. We both agreed. Good thing.......
drakejack6.jpg
drakejack6.jpg (114.25 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
....... who knew they made "five" piece rods. Looks like I'll be headed to UPS monday.

Good two days with friends.

Good precursor to a most promising and eagerly awaited 2014 season.

All the best to each of you this summer whatever/wherever your season takes you!!!
With Bob's and now your splendid report, I think we're officially "back between the ditches". Thank you and it's wonderful to hear that your trip was choice!
By Pedorro
Well done
By fatman
nicely played
By Lurgee
Good work. I am anxious to shake hands with Mr Crevalle soon.
By The Volfish
Had a chance to join some friends a few days ago for what would be my first salt of 2014.
You need a new calendar.
By Mangina
The Volfish wrote:
Had a chance to join some friends a few days ago for what would be my first salt of 2014.
You need a new calendar.

I have completely washed all memory of all those trout sets on your fine redfish out of my mind. Ha!!! Ok ok second trip of 2014.
By Woolybug25
Where were all of these badass reports in December - March when the board was dead?

While we were freezing our asses off and only wanted one glimpse of sun and good fishing… where were you bastards then?

It's spring now. SaltLyfe has let us down.

Jk, Good shit, dude. :cool
By Hogleg
Real good man. Real good.

so... did epstein kill himself? I'm looking at y[…]

The Drake is Dead, Long Live The Drake. Over the[…]

Widespread Panic SUCKS

I just got "turned on" to WSP and John[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Clan Chief Katie https://live.staticflickr.c[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine