An SE AK Summer (Page 13)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
SLSS

Re: The Headwaters - TR (Page 10)

Post by SLSS » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:39 am

Spectacular!

Land, fish, adventure. All spectacular!

Damn. Thanks Po. :cool
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Hogleg

Re: The Headwaters - TR (Page 10)

Post by Hogleg » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:03 pm

The Po Thead wrote:

The Holy Grail of escapement surveys: a tagged carcass - time to sample!
[/report]
So how did it taste?
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

The Po Thead

Southeast Alaska - TR (Page 12)

Post by The Po Thead » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Music (not sure why the Youtube video link isn't working):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDYfkymaSE

Hey there fellas.

Been a while since I've thrown anything onto the "Adventures in Southeast Alaska" thread. Thought I'd give you guys a recap over the last two summers of fieldwork.

Unfortunately, I no longer work with the division of Sportfish doing coded-wire tagging on king and coho up the Taku River, and working on various escapement projects around Juneau and Ketchikan. I miss it, a lot, but after being a Fish and Wildlife Technician for years, I applied for a biologist position with the Habitat division. Some how, the stars aligned, and I got the job. For the last two summers, I've been surveying streams in search of anadromous fish (mostly juvenile coho) on southeast Alaska timber lands. In streams where salmon are found, buffer zones are established for protection from logging. Additionally, streams where we find salmon, trout and char are then included into the Anadromous Waters Catalog. This online database (interactive map included) is used to identify species in the thousands of watersheds in Alaska.

I'll just leave this here for you...
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/SARR/AWC/

Southeast Alaska has a very long history with logging, and in particular, the islands of the southern region. These include Prince of Wales (POW), Kuiu, Kupreanof, Baranof and other large islands with names ending in an "off" that make up this enormous archipelago. I've been primarily stationed out of Craig, on Prince of Wales, but have been doing work out of Sitka, Petersburg, Kake, Wrangell, and Ketchikan. Our field season typically runs from June until the end of August. Most of the work has involved going out via boat or floatplane to remote islands and camping for a few days to look at streams. These photos are a mishmash of the last two summers, with a semi-organized chronological order as summer progresses. You may recognize a few of these photos from Friday Cheer.

Life in the town of Craig, AK.

There is a local oyster farm that comes to town every Saturday to sell fresh oysters. Yes, they are delicious.

Some college buddies of mine own a lumber salvage business just out the road from Craig. They collect fallen timber left behind from larger operations and turn it into boards and planking for musical instruments such as guitars, cellos and violins. The Sitka Spruce of southeast Alaska have phenomenal qualities for musical instruments, and the wood is sought after by people from all over the world. With the scraps they're left with after the planks are milled, they started making deer calls. They're quite beautiful.

There are some beautiful spots to fish on Prince of Wales too.

And once in a while, someone in southeast AK catches one of these invasive... Thanks for the farmed raised Atlantic Salmon escapee you BC Canadian fucks...

A lot of our work was done with the wheelers on the north end of the Island. We towed them for 3 hours to survey an area around a marble mine for several days.

There were lots of Pillaging Sea Rats around.

Weapon selection: 12ga shotgun, bear mace, or Smith Root LR-24 Electrofisher, take your pick.

A lot of time is spent inspecting culverts and identifying locations of fish passage blockages.

The trip to Kuiu Island and Petersburg area this May was pretty fun. Some how without realizing it, I booked the trip around the Little Norway Festival in Petersburg, it was a fun couple of days, and some blurry evenings where I don't remember much...

One of Fish and Games research vessels, the R/V Kestrel.

Back in Craig, I was lucky enough to join someone on their boat several times this summer and fish the outer coast for kings. An absolutely incredible place out there, the swell, the giant rock cliffs and pinnacles. Looking out into the abyss of the Gulf of Alaska. Oh yeah, and the king fishing was stellar.

Fish Food: Ammodytes hexapterus, the Pacific Sand Lance. The kings were loaded with them.

We flew to an island west of POW to survey for 2 weeks. Rented a beautiful cabin to stay in for the duration. My brother and I are in the process of building our own cabin on some property our family has had for years, and I hope it turns out as nice as this one.

Some of the local fauna frequented the area around the cabin, including this nice 4x3 Blacktail. Although, if he wants to make it to next summer, he's gotta stop trusting people so much.

The abandoned fishing/logging camp of Cape Pole. At one time it used to be a bustling community, but 35 years later, the forest has started to reclaim the land.

And a relic of Kosciusko Island. It kinda sucks to think we don't really see trees like this anymore.

I ended up flying through Sitka on my way back to Juneau for a break from work for a few days. The seiners and gill netters were out in force.

And back on POW, the fishing in the local creeks has been producing.

Take care guys. Enjoy the rest of summer, it will be gone before we know it.

"Fuck life is brutal, and the learning curve hard and unforgiving." - SLSS

stillsteamin

Re: Southeast Alaska - TR (Page 12)

Post by stillsteamin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Damn I'm jealous.
They all wanna be Hank Williams
They don't wanna have to die

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Outfukkingstanding :cool
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Too bad you live in such a fugly place.

color me jelly :bow
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Most awesome!

ak_powder_monkey

Post by ak_powder_monkey » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:24 pm

yeah buddy! Congrats on the bio job!
Save Wild Salmon, Eat Wild Salmon.

http://www.akpmphotos.com

peetso

Post by peetso » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:40 pm

this thread is just a constant reminder of how i probably should've lived my life.

:cool :cool :cool
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:03 am

peetso wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:40 pm
this thread is just a constant reminder of how i probably should've lived my life.

:cool :cool :cool
You have company in that thought, Peetso.

Cheers, Po. Spectacular. :cool
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:37 am

Top notch. Top notch!
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:32 am

commendable fish photos.
you aks must know more than others.

cheers.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice