TR- 4 Months in CO

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
V Wake

TR- 4 Months in CO

Post by V Wake » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:34 pm

Disclaimer: This is a bitter sweet TR. It starts rough and I hope has a redemptive end. We'll see...

A recent conversation with Kyle:
Kyle: "How you doin', buddy?"
Me: "I'm trying to find the bottom, dude. And when I do I'm gonna kick the shit out of it and swim like hell to the surface."

My wife, dog, and I set out for Denver from east TN back in mid-August in search of new beginnings. Me in my truck pulling a Uhaul trailer, my wife and dog following behind in the car . We made it as far as Knoxville before I knew there was something seriously wrong with my truck. The diagnosis wasn't good. $2500 and at least a week in the shop to get a new drive shaft. I had to get to Denver to start my clinical rotation in 3 days. Shit. We repacked the car with only the essentials, left the truck in Knoxville, and set out to begin what was to be the hardest 4 months of our life. The photo op at the "Welcome to Colorful Colorado" sign was about the lowest point in my life. The truck wasn't the only thing that fell apart on that drive. Within a week of being in Denver, assisted by the stress of the move and being in a new place, all of the hurt and pain we had caused each other boiled over. I did what I do best. I ran. I turned my back on my wife after 8.5 years. The compassionate, people-centered guy I had always been turned into a numbed and hardened animal. My only escape was working with the kids at the rehab clinic and, of course, getting lost in the mountains. I tried to soak up the the Rockies, but the more beauty I experienced the more lonely I felt. This life is meant to be shared. Nevertheless, I found some great waters on my own and with the help of some fellow Drakians was led to some new waters and found respite in their company.

I took hurried trips to the waters of the Front Range at the beginning of the trip when I didn't have a lot of time and ended back in the same areas the last few weekends when snow was hitting the mountains. I had to work for it, but I found pockets of solitude. ImageImageImageImage
Fish were caught. I did have my ass handed to me at first thinking that CO, being in the west, held naive fish that would willingly eat bushy dries. Though this was true on smaller streams, I quickly found that the same tailwater tactics needed in the southeast would be necessary on these waters. Once that was realized, success was had. ImageImageImageImage
Days ended with stunning sunsets on the water and days began in the bed of the truck with my sleeping bag covered in frost. ImageImageImage
In general the scenery was stunning. I drank in the endless skies and forgot to fish sometimes when I remembered to take in the landscapes. Image[/url]ImageImageImageImageImageImage
I got a visit from a good friend on my birthday weekend, so we got a new comrade's boat, met some Drakians, and floated a river that had always been on my bucket list. That same weekend we checked out some new water deeper into the mountains and found pre-spawn browns that were more than eager to crush streamers. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
As days got shorter and snow covered the front range, my time was nearing an end. My wife and I have decided to try to work things out and are in the process of finding the bottom together. It's a painful journey at times, but it feels good to struggle together rather than apart. I love that woman. So last Monday the dog and I set out for the southeast again to get the house ready for my wife to come home. I also graduated after 4 long years of tedious, unrelenting school. After a hard 24 hour push I made it to the house in one piece, walked in, and was hit by all of the memories that only echoed louder with the empty space. The next day or two were spent chasing musky on familiar water. My wife got home a few days after me and accompanied me to my graduation. And now the future is wide open. East coast or the Rockies? I have options and freedom, and finally a degree that will help provide much needed stability. After my travels and tasting the other drink, I can say that community is everything, and that the textures ofthis life are much richer when shared. Merry Christmas to everyone. ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by V Wake on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Asshole

Re: TR- 4 Months in CO

Post by Captain Asshole » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:40 pm

Good luck to your and your wife. Great pics. Hope things get better. :cool

The Wandering Blues

Post by The Wandering Blues » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:40 pm

Beyond truth. Here's a reminder of what's good and constant in life. Wishing you the best in 2015.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

vaku

Post by vaku » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:43 pm

I know people who have spent their whole lives in CO and not fished that much! Looks like fun, other than the bottom searching. I always found that it finds me, not the other way around.
"It is only the inexperienced and thoughtless who find pleasure in killing fish for the mere sake of killing them. No sportsman does this." - W.C. Prime, 1888

"if it floats, flys, or fucks, it's bound to be a pain in the ass..." - BigTimber

root wad

Post by root wad » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:46 pm

As nice as it was to read the story I am sure having it come around in person is exquisite. You will do well. Enjoy.
Life is a whole lot more simple when you plow around the stump.
"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns."

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:55 pm

Great post & best wishes, Knox.
"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Chock full of honesty and everything else that's good.

The future is an open road. If it brings you north, there's an open seat waiting for you in my boat.
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

Pataguccimane

Post by Pataguccimane » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Nice pictures! Best wishes in 2015! :cool

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:28 pm

X2 what Bob said. This place just about hit rock bottom too so your timing is good.

:cool
That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

FormerlyChaseChrome

Post by FormerlyChaseChrome » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Carry on man...nice way to heal the soul. Good luck on this newest leg of your journey...who knows.
Best wishes for 2015...
:cool

slapshot

Post by slapshot » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Good deal dude. Keep on keepin on

I usually drop em in the grass and then fish out another cast or two while I wait for them to get tired enough to hold still - that way you can actually tell how long they are against the rod. - JT

ncguy

Post by ncguy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:53 pm

Here's hoping 2015 will see you break the surface. By the way you're boat is safe and sound in my backyard just holler at me.
I had to learn banjo. TX
Don't let your sheepfucking ruin the best imaginary relationships you're ever gonna have.-Befuddled
Red has enough good karma in storage that he could start an online business selling it to the world's assholes. Rancho Pancho
if the trip kills you, you won't live to regret it. JT