hardlife

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
chadroc

hardlife

Post by chadroc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:34 pm

it just don't feel like spring. last night, dragging my sorry ass off the ice at 2am it was 14 degrees out. enough, i said. so heres been march. with no water open, we open it with a drill.

fuck it. a group of fellas down here get together every tuesday to tie flies in raekwon's basement. hmmmm. lets take that action out on the ice and look for a walleye bite.

raekwon is an amazing cook. his cast iron is perfectly seasoned for the job at hand.

authentic local polish food. kielbasa and pirogues. full stick of butter. fat on fat ends up on my fat.

it rained. we spent time in the eskimo. english jon brought out a bottle of scotch. he was amazed to stand on ice, it was pretty cool to see a fella from across the pond get basics on ice fishing. when we exited the shanty and smoke come pouring out we blink our eyes into the fog at what once was the lake and is now only fog. jokes are joked that we couldn't see our trap lights go off if they did so due to the pea soup. upon pick up, 3 flags are up and unreliable trap lights are sort of blinking.

and the clocks spring forward and maybe you can smell spring in the new length of afternoon. so you tap trees and the sap flows for a day and freezes solid.

dump run visit to the local for shits and giggles. but nobody seems to live here no more and the true worry is what februarys anchor ice did to all the bugs. and you won't know until you know. lesser worry, more likely, i'm just a poor fly fisher and can't remember nothing about a mend. wait? mend? you don't just drill a hole and cast it in there and sit around like a moron waiting?

so fuck it. i'm almost on a roll now. back of my truck stays packed with shitloads of ice gear.

breakfast time.

just a pair of weird disembodied eye balls staring at you. you should probably eat them.

there are some nice bass in this lake but all i kept hearing in my head was the super fucking annoying dick vitale scream out "PICK CITY BABY! ANOTHER PICKEREL!" and my bracket bombs everywhere so somebody gets sixshittyflies.

when they feel big......

break time. oddvocado / tomato / corn / black bean / olive oil / balsamic

aha!

jig up some better baits.

of course it starts snowing which makes the already slick ice stupid slick. taking 1" steps back to the truck i eat it twice and curse as loud as i can into the snow. for fucks sake can we get some fucking spring?

ace wife makes corned beef and cabbage for me to eat when i get home cold and sore. not so angry anymore.

no. no spring. come on buddy, you and me going ice fishing.

some sledding before my boy gets too cold. the terrible march wind.

wife scoops him up. my truck is filthy with the stench of bait and stuffed to the sagging roof with ice gear. wife says he's asleep for a nap before his head hits the pillow, take your time getting home. i'll pick it all up in a few......

now zoned in.

aha!

the edges getting soggy. but the main body of ice? still 2feet thick.

what? tuesday again? yeah one more fucking time, but thats it.

passing time waiting on the magic hour, which this far past the border is later and later into the hours of the day.

cute.

we just keep waiting for spring.

and keep waiting for flags, that last night....never showed up. but raekwons cast iron did.

ribs. amazing ribs.

extra pickles.

and later, pirogues again.

and no one wants to break it down since its so fucking cold out at 2am. so we sit in the eskimo and keep the stove on low. and we wait there for the spring. which never comes. so we eventually break it all down again and its still out there stinking up the truck.

holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

ironman

Re: hardlife

Post by ironman » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:58 pm

Yup.

How about a "z" on the picks?
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:08 pm

That was CRAZY good.
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:12 pm

it dropped down to 12c the other night and many of us nearly died.

a balmy 29c today. typical early autumn day.

I need to 10:20.
for november is going to kill me.
okay. so here's a declaration based around fake news and a constitution declaring the gracious acceptance of more fake news. your[sic] still number one, josh.

-anonymous mtice

cerevisiaephilus

Post by cerevisiaephilus » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:21 pm

blumpkin wrote:That was CRAZY good.
Yeah. Really good. Thanks for doing it.
"All I feel is a slight hope that a giant, shunned, sexually deviant Cryptid will start enforcing his own perverted justice for crimes against nature." -jerome

johnbmadwis

Post by johnbmadwis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:29 pm

blumpkin wrote:That was CRAZY good.
yeah.

but i couldn't do it. the entire time sitting there i'd be thinking of all the shit i have to do. it'd wreck me. pierogis are some fine eats, though, i'll give ya that.

john

edit. btw, i'd bet 90% of this place has read that chatham anthology. pretty much changed everything for me. read it and realized that real writers who think about the outdoors and their place in it exist and not everything is me and joe shit or even hemmingway man vs beast stuff (meh to me). chatham, mcguane, harrison. bunch of hippies who seem with me in the field most every time.

edit 2. speaking of harrison, he wrote an essay, something like, "ice fishing, the moronic sport" dude, you own the hard water topic here and your writing on it is the best i've read.
Last edited by johnbmadwis on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comescrashing

Post by comescrashing » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks for that

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 pm

excellence.
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

augustwest

Post by augustwest » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:25 pm

Good book. Good reportage. Thanks for putting that up.
"Enjoy every sandwich." -- W. Zevon

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Ah yes, re-yed stripe. Jah bless. You be doing all kinda good shit breh.
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:42 pm

i always bring a book solo out there on the ice. there ain't no pages but the stories, all the introductory library of congress isbn number pages and back door softcover sales pitches have been burned as kindling on the longest silence, the outside chance, many gierach books.....you sit and listen to someone else tell fish stories. chatham makes me crave duck meat.

when you don't go solo, ice fishing really is a good indicator.....it is torture to fish with a dickhead. you pick your partners as wisely as possible and you can have great laughs and all sorts of conversation. i'd fish with raekwon any day of the week, and not for his cast iron. just a solid guy who i've really grown to like through what hours we've fished together this year. hours i know will grow incrementally over time and trips, both hard and soft water.
holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

AftonAngler

Post by AftonAngler » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:59 pm

:cool

As usual - Pimp Stuff! Thanks for that...

Good talking earlier today - albeit briefly! We'll connect soon. Looking forward to June!!!

:Roll Eyes
doubleA

http://www.MuskyCountryOutfitters.com

"Never date the songwriter if you are the lead singer... And a giant whore." blumpkin