Hey Nemo

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
CarpeTructa

Re: Hey Nemo

Post by CarpeTructa » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:01 pm

I'm really pissed that I haven't won the lottery. I mean, those fuckers are making money hand over fist - how much do they need?

I started to write a trip report, I mean buy a ticket, but fuck them - they don't deserve it!

I recommend that everyone head on over to [insert neighboring state here] which I have heard has a better win rate than this place and is more like it used to be around here.

This state's lotto people are just money grubbing douche bags who don't even pay the people who have thought about maybe buying a ticket, someday.

Fuckers.
Somebody else is going to have to watch the door for me now. Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. Outcast (RIP)

Junior©

Post by Junior© » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:05 pm

TX. wrote:The knife fighting monkeys are under octopussy.
I meant the classic, dockside, chained-at-the-wrist, knife-fighting monkeys.

Jr.

augustwest

Post by augustwest » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:55 pm

Last week I fished for two days with two solid dudes from this board. Each of them poled me around their home waters looking for snook, redfish and tarpon. I am very grateful to them. And I'm grateful to Tom Bie for providing me the means to connect with these fellow inmates.

I hope Tom sells about 10 times more ads, so he can keep paying for this tree house and maybe even make enough money to keep Clyde on the road for a little longer.

No question, there's a lot to dislike about the new look. But nobody has to see the ads. Making them invisible is easy, and free. Even for ultra badass internet super tough guys.
"Enjoy every sandwich." -- W. Zevon

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:37 am

Is there such a thing as a pay-to-play fishing board? I've never seen one....weak argument.

Its all about Nemo trying to squeeze every last red cent out of whats left of the Drake, both the mag and this site. Sad....

But you shills keep up the good fight.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:54 am

Hmmm... Since Yard seems to be in "full disclosure" mode at the moment, I figured I'd join.

I'll begin by being as blunt as he was: I also hate the ads. Hate them. I knew I'd hate them, and I knew you guys would hate them. I shared this opinion with Grant when he first told me that he planned to place them in between posts. This isn't meant to throw Grant under the bus: It's my site, and I could have told him from the beginning not to do it. But he knows 1,000 times more about websites than I ever will, and he gave me a "You'll see, it's what all the BBs are doing" sort of answer. Which may or may not be true, because I don't have the time to check out a lot of other websites, much less message boards. All I know is that when I DID come across ads placed in between posts on message boards, I thought they were hideous and intrusive. But I let him give it a go. This was the email I sent to Grant at 5 pm today:

Well Grant, like I said:
1) I hate them. The response from the board? 100% negative. EVERYONE hates them. And they are way too big.
2) I don't care that "everyone else is doing this." "Everyone else" is Yahoo--we're The Drake.
3) I haven't seen ads this big on other BB boards. And when I have seen ads it's been on sites—like spey pages or iFish—that are ONLY message boards, so they don't have a choice if they want to make money off ads. We do. Let's keep them on the blogs and the DD and the back-issue content and everywhere BUT the forums. If we want them on the sides of the forum, fine, but not in between posts—it just looks way too commercial and lame. Please remove the ads from the forums.

Then I clicked on this post... and felt equal parts pride and anger. Of course I was pissed that anyone would begin by saying FUCK YOU (for "ruining this place") to the person who started this place. And who has paid for it for more than 17 years. But, as often happens when anyone gets angry at me about the board, I can hardly believe a person could feel so connected here that he is compelled to write the kind of post Yard did. He, like many others, feel an ownership of the Suk. That's the kind of stuff—"engaged audiences" in corporate-speak—that big companies spend millions of dollars to buy. Unfortunately for them, it's also the kind of shit that can't be bought. For it to be honest and real and authentic, it has to grow organically, like it has here.

Now, as to Yard's other comments...

1) "Haven't bought a mag since you started pimping pay for play shit"
If that's how you feel, then you shouldn't buy one. I wouldn't buy it either. Especially since The Drake was founded in part on being whatever the opposite of "pay to play" is. So if you could please enlighten me as to where, exactly, I've run a positive "pimping" review of an advertiser's product, I'd like to see it. The irony here is that I feel I've sometimes been too sensitive to avoid the "pay to play" scheme. Take the current issue: I wrote an honest piece on Christmas Island, quoting people from Frontiers, Fly Water, and Front Range Anglers, none of whom advertise in the magazine. I went out of my way not to talk to Yellow Dog, even though that company has supported The Drake for fifteen years, even though they helped get me there, even though they're friends, and even though they recently began booking XI. Was that fair to them? Probably not. But it was the most fair thing to do for my readers, because Fly Water and Frontiers both have years of experience on Christmas Island that Yellow Dog doesn't. Do I pay full price for every place I get to fish? Fuck no. And there are two simple reasons: 1) The income range of The Drake readership extends far beyond my own, and I don't think my audience would be too stoked to read five feature stories a year about my experiences fishing from a Forest Service campground or $1,200-a-week lodge. 2) I really, really like to fish.

2) "No clue why you think this is going to work."
I don't think it'll work, and I never did. See above.

3) "No fucking way I help these ad companies"
They aren't ad companies, asshole, they're flyfishing companies. I've never allowed the google ads or other bullshit non-flyfishing related ads on here. Since you're such a hardcore steelhead guru, maybe you can tell me how many fellow steelheaders you think have at least one Hardy Marquis or Bougle in their past? How many of them wear Simms? What would the history of steelhead flyfishing even look like without those two brands? Hopefully they'll figure out a way to survive without the "help" of your great TRs.

4) "What a money grabbing douche bag you must be. Maybe now you can actually pay the photogs for the pics you "bought" from them but just forgot to pay up on?"
These are my two favorite lines. (Except, in the first sentence, "money grabbing" should be hyphenated. In the second—try to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition.) As to the "money grabbing douche bag" part—not that it's any of your business, but for the past ten years, Grant has made 50% of the ad revenues from this site, and since 2011, Geoff Mueller has made 25% of the other half. For the past 2-3 years, that ad revenue has been roughly 20 grand a year, which leaves me (the company) with about five grand a year. Unfortunately, Peer 1, which hosts the site, costs $245 a month, so there goes $3,000 of my $5,000, leaving me with $2,000. But then I pay Grant and Geoff another $10K each for all the work they both do to keep this place running—Grant with his tech skillz and Geoff with his content skillz. If you're keeping track at home, that leaves an average loss on the website, each year, of $18,000. All so Yard can say "FUCK YOU" to me, for free. (And if it's not obvious, Grant and Geoff aren't making shit off this place either.) As to your "Maybe now you can actually pay the photogs for the pics you "bought" from them but just forgot to pay up on?" accusation, I make the same offer I made on the pay-to-play assertion: Please provide the names of all these photogs that I've forgotten to pay. Was it you? Some of your friends? I'm not saying that it's never happened, but I am saying that's it's never happened on purpose. You see a lot of the same photographers' names in my magazine. What do you suppose they would say to me the next time I asked them for a shot, if I hadn't paid them for the last one? Again, I'm not saying it's never happened—I'm unorganized and I'm slow. But I'm fair. And I worked as a freelancer myself long enough to know how important those checks are. If you or anyone else feels like sharing a story on this thread about when and how I screwed them over, have at it, and I'll make it right.

In closing, let me just say, Yard Sale, that you don't know me. And you aren't doing yourself any favors by pretending you do. You once sent me a PM mentioning a couple Oregon coastal rivers that are very dear to me. In postings, you say you listen to Pig Pen on a tape player (probably "Good Morning Little School Girl"). You quote Navin Johnson and you talk about drinking Rainier. These are all the things I really need to know about you to understand that we'd probably enjoy sharing a day on the river. The ads on the message board will go away, but I hope you don't. Just save the diatribes for things you know are true, rather than things you think are true.
"Any mods on this forum or what? It's just a free for all of people being assholes to one another?"

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:14 am

You've never paid me for a photograph and I'm pissed. I'm over it now carry on.

Mad_Mike

Post by Mad_Mike » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:02 am

I love this shit... "I don't post anything, because other people don't post anything...." "The ads suck, so I'm definitely not gonna post anything now.."

Jebus man... It took me all of like 10 seconds to download an ad blocker, and I can't see a single stitch of an ad... Problem solved..

I hope now that Nemo said his piece you can stop your whining.. I enjoy your posts, and would love you to hang around and keep putting up the content that I've seen you capable of... however, if you're just gonna bitch about everything... please feel free to fuck right off...

Ta...
Mad Mike
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. - Hemingway

Leonardo DiCaprio wins at life! - Row vs. Wade

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:28 am

Ad blocker is simple and very effective. Carry on folks.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:22 am

augustwest wrote:Last week I fished for two days with two solid dudes from this board. Each of them poled me around their home waters looking for snook, redfish and tarpon. I am very grateful to them. And I'm grateful to Tom Bie for providing me the means to connect with these fellow inmates.

I hope Tom sells about 10 times more ads, so he can keep paying for this tree house and maybe even make enough money to keep Clyde on the road for a little longer.

No question, there's a lot to dislike about the new look. But nobody has to see the ads. Making them invisible is easy, and free. Even for ultra badass internet super tough guys.
August nailed it ('cept I'm the one usually doing the poling), and I think Nemo's reply is the best thing ever posted here. Yard was probably jrunk.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:40 am

nemo lashes back and tries to get us all fired by posting NSFW photos....

p.s. now that you've revealed that there is actual income generated by forum ads, you can send my revenue sharing check to my paypal account...

tnx
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:20 am

If Tom says he isn't making shit off the adds then I believe him. However I wouldn't have an objection if he were getting rich off them. Actually, I hope the guy does get rich.

It's probably a dream of most people here to make good money pursuing a passion. My passion is nothing but a money drain and my income source has nothing to do with it.

I buy the magazine whether I read it or not. Its the price of admission.

I am entitled to nothing and try to appreciate what is provided to me.

And for what it's worth, I'd rather read about a forest service campground than a fancy lodge or island I will never go too in my lifetime.

southernstrain

Post by southernstrain » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:41 am

Ruddy Duck wrote:If Tom says he isn't making shit off the adds then I believe him. However I wouldn't have an objection if he were getting rich off them. Actually, I hope the guy does get rich.

It's probably a dream of most people here to make good money pursuing a passion. My passion is nothing but a money drain and my income source has nothing to do with it.

I buy the magazine whether I read it or not. Its the price of admission.

I am entitled to nothing and try to appreciate what is provided to me.

And for what it's worth, I'd rather read about a forest service campground than a fancy lodge or island I will never go too in my lifetime.
Not reading about forest service campgrounds means there will actually be availability when you find it on your own