Drakian Chicanery and Kindness

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
skullion childs

Drakian Chicanery and Kindness

Post by skullion childs » Thu May 07, 2015 8:24 pm

So I went to the fly shop today. Ironman was there, which wasn't surprising since I was supposed to hand off a rod to him that he bought from BrentE (that BrentE, ironically, bought from me – but that’s a different story).
Ginseng Sullivan was there, of course, tying flies, and the three of us shot the breeze for a while. I noticed that there was a couple of wrapped gifts on the table in the back of the shop. Not too surprising, I suppose, as Ginny’s birthday had passed a few weeks ago. I went to check it out anyway.
To my considerable surprise, the card on top said ‘Skully.’ “What’s up with this?”
“Open it and see,” said Ironman.
Intrigued, I shook and then opened a long rectangular box. The wrapping paper peeled back to expose a box with the word ‘Glestain’ written in gold.
That’s when I realized I’d been punked. In a good way.
Ironman had phoned me a few weeks ago, saying a buddy of his (from the BBQ circuit, maybe?) wanted to get a set of really good kitchen knives. A lifetime ago, I worked in a kitchen, and know a little about kitchen knives. “What’s that knife you have that you really like?” he asked.
“A Glestain,” I told him. “But I have the 300mm, which is really long if you’re not used to big chef’s knives. It’s almost 12 inches long. The 270mm, which is like 10 inches, is waaay better for prep work when other people are around. I’d like to get one someday for exactly that purpose – like prepwork at the Rustbelt bake. [Author’s note: I think I took a slice out of Ironman at one of the bakes when he got too close to me while doing prep in a very small space.] But they’re pretty expensive.” The conversation went on along those lines for a while, he hung up, and I promptly forgot about it.
Back to the main narrative. It was, indeed the 270mm Glestain, and a beautiful end-grain hardwood cutting board. And a gift certificate to the shop. The card (a Bob White card, I should add) implicated quite a few of you. You know who you are.
It was a congratulations gift for an award I got at work.
I’m humbled and flattered and quite surprised. Heartfelt thanks to all who participated, and to Ironman for organizing the chicanery. It was by no means necessary: the pleasure of your friendship, fishing with you guys, and participating in a community that does stuff like this is more than enough.
It is much appreciated, though. The Glestain will see its first serious prep work next weekend on a five day shop trip. And Ironman, I’ll try to keep my blood, and your blood, and Tim’s blood out of the food.

fatman

Re: Drakian Chicanery and Kindness

Post by fatman » Thu May 07, 2015 9:09 pm

:cool

fine work, Skully
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

vaku

Post by vaku » Thu May 07, 2015 9:29 pm

What a bunch of assholes.

really nice assholes.

good work guys!
"It is only the inexperienced and thoughtless who find pleasure in killing fish for the mere sake of killing them. No sportsman does this." - W.C. Prime, 1888

"if it floats, flys, or fucks, it's bound to be a pain in the ass..." - BigTimber

brent_e

Post by brent_e » Fri May 08, 2015 7:03 am

Well done, Skully!
You don't sweat much for a fat chick - pibber

rampant

Post by rampant » Fri May 08, 2015 8:37 am

Sweet piece of steel :cool

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:31 am

Good stuff! Glad to see that it all came together. :cool
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com

FredA

Post by FredA » Fri May 08, 2015 9:45 am

Well done Skully... keep up the good work. :cool

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Fri May 08, 2015 4:41 pm

damn strait. nice work fellas.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Fri May 08, 2015 7:16 pm

Cool beans, Skully... congratulations!
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Fri May 08, 2015 10:43 pm

a good egg is sully.
so I suppose the others are all right as well.

good onyinz.
mate, it's ryan says... and ryan didn't say.
you're out.

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Sat May 09, 2015 9:32 am

good dudes all of you.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Sat May 09, 2015 10:17 am

Well deserved, I'm sure, Skully. So when do we see something.on the Z-Axis?