Baja California Sur

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Bruiser

Baja California Sur

Post by Bruiser » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:45 am

[report]This account of our trip to Baja last week is mostly words. You may have already scrolled through and seen that there are no photos of Roosterfish and you cats already know that I am no Average Joe. I will try to describe the place and the fishing though, so if you're interested, read on.

When I told my friends that I was not likely to catch one they assumed that it was modesty - you'd think they would know better!

We spent six days and probably drove 250 km up and down a 40 km stretch of the Gulf of California that is truly Roosterfish Mecca. One stood in the back, one drove, and one stood in the front. We all scanned the water and tilted our heads so the sun was oriented directly over the top of our heads. When we ran out of water everyday we drank the Pacificos and Bohemias. Bohemia rules according to me. Ideal scanning speed with six eyes is 12-15 km/hr.

The weather was perfect pretty much every day. We saw quite a few very skilled anglers out there too. It's prime time and we were at a prime spot. If you weren't sunscreened, super hydrated, and keeping your buff pulled up you were toast, LITERALLY.

There were also some dudes that fished exclusively with a big ass spinning rod and a 6 oz lure that skips across the surface. We had the same setup with the teaser Rod we carried.

When we saw a rooster all hell would break loose. It is something I hope to see a lot more in the future and super crazy. Typical situation: we see the fish cruising along parallel to the shore, about 70-80 feet out. We haul ass and get in front of the fish, grab a 10 weight, and go Frank Smethurst. There are 500 things that need to go right simultaneously. We all managed to get over our buck fever and get flies in front of fish and moving away. I think I got one to look but it's probably the Bohemia talking. Holy shit, when those fish want to eat, they crank it up to 40mph and rip through schools of terrified mullet like a 68 Camaro doing donuts in a park.

We just did not see many fish. It's fishing. I will tell you this: we saw as many as anyone else including the guided sports and we were out there working as hard as anyone. We respected the space of other anglers and we made friends.
If I had to guess it will take me thirty or more shots to feed one of these fish, and I may never do that. Even if one eats, how many will it take to land one? Some of the stuff they said in RDTM started to echo in my head as we drove up and down the beach everyday "for the longest time...".

Hotspotting alert: I have been to Colorado, Alaska, the Bahamas, and now Baja with Hogleg and there is not a better guy out there. He refused to take a shot most of the time, handing me my 9 wt. and yelling "go!" I fished a nine because the first thing I did in Baja was break my (new) 10 in the most dumbass way possible - yes the fan.
I did have a nice long run interrupted by a guy running out of the front porch of a house to chuck his big something or other at a Dorado I was chasing down the beach. I wanted that fish badly and was happy when it spooked from his hardware. Bevin came and got me in the ATV because they could tell I was gassed.

See you at teh Luau

We took our wives and they had fun thanks to Hoglegs wife and she is fantastic and kept us all laughing all week. La Gente de Mexico are the best and the food and beer in that little town is basically free. I still have enough dinero in my wallet for the next three weeks and we ate well. Thanks for reading. If you are one of the witch doctors that's held one of these beasts please show us the photos.
Image[/report]
That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

fatman

Re: Baja California Sur

Post by fatman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:23 am

not everyone can make gettin' skunked sound like a blast. :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:31 am

That's fishing, I'd still take a stab at trip like that. One fish may make the trip epic. Better luck next time.

Adams

Post by Adams » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:36 am

Bruiser wrote:[report]Image[/report]
Ha - I know that beach! Nice report. Chasing papa gallo is addicting, isn't it.
If you need a reason to drink, you have a problem. . .

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:37 am

Looks and sounds pretty great.

Randall Dee

Post by Randall Dee » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:41 am

Sounds like great fun. My wife and I talking about driving down there one of these years.

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:49 am

What a cool trip. Thanks for bringing us along.

Glad to see Bevin is doing well also, tell him I said hello. :cool
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:54 am

nice reportage and beautiful scenery.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:13 pm

As Fatman will probably point out, this could easily pass for an Average Joe TR.

Glad you guys got some shots and had a good time.

Sucks that you broke the xi3, but hopefully Sage replaces it with one of the new models.

See you at the Luau.

Ephemeral

Post by Ephemeral » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:21 pm

Awesome Bruce, Thank you.
"Won't you tell me, brave captain why are the wicked, so strong, how can the angels get to sleep when the devil leaves his porch light on." Tom Waits

upshitscreek

Post by upshitscreek » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:35 pm

Average Joe wrote:?....this could easily pass for an Average Joe TR...
But needs more dying Australians.

steelhound

Post by steelhound » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:52 pm

I don't think that I could possibly imagine a "more fun skunk" than that.
frustrated. After a few "what the fucks?" "i suck"s and a break on shore I convinced her to get back to casting. I clearly remember this question/statement "so you actually think this is fun. These fish are fucked"
Marlo