Dr. Enuf and the TVA: TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Creamer

Dr. Enuf and the TVA: TR

Post by Creamer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:56 am

I spent last week on the South Holston River with a few buddies, first time I have been there. Coming from a fairly trout starved state (Ohio), I was pretty amazed by the numbers of trout in the river. Sulphurs popping everywhere, trout rising everywhere, jackasses everywhere. Seriously, why do people on a trout stream feel the need to shout something every time they hook up? Is this a new thing? Some guys shouted "Fish!" One old man yelled "Ha!" like he was herding cattle. I had never experienced that before, and I didn't like it. Shut up and fish. The weather had violent turns all week, sunny one minute and torrential downpour the next. The rain dicked with the water releases a few days and we discovered the hard way that the TVA can change their minds mid-day and not follow their schedule that was set that morning. I didn't catch any giants but there was no shortage of fish to hand, mostly on sulphur dun patterns and emergers.

We fished the Watauga one afternoon in a torrential downpour when there wasn't supposed to be any rise in the flows by the TVA. Those fish hammered everything they saw. Then, 45 minutes later, the water came and wading was getting dangerous. 137CFS to over 1000CFS is a hefty jump.

Another day we went to the Doe River while the Soho and Watauga were releasing most of the day. The headwaters of the Doe at Roan Mountain State Park were clean and full of small trout in every piece of pocket water you could find. Small, but good fun on light gear and dry flies.

Shortly after taking this photo, I was nearly hit by a chick in a Civic who came screaming down the 1-lane road jamming to Taylor Swift.

The magic herbal soda of TN

We ate well in camp, even *gasp* whacked a few trout and had fresh fish over the coals one night.

Charlie, the camp dog

Now that I'm back home, I want to take every spool of tippet I have smaller than 5X and burn that shit. I don't even go smaller than 5X on small stream brookies, and I was using 6X-7X down there on those selective bastards. There were times when they were refusing my duns and hammering all the naturals that it felt like every fish in the river was kicking you in the nuts. That being said, I'd go back this afternoon if I could.

CarelessEthiopian

Re: Dr. Enuf and the TVA: TR

Post by CarelessEthiopian » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:09 am

We already have a guy that posts pics of every ten incher that gets caught. We don't need another one. Same fucking river, too.
boy in long pants

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:40 am

ha!
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:54 am

Woah, you're from Ohio and wanna talk smack about greenEVILle peeps getting excited over hooking fish on THEIR river?
Fuck sakes. I'm sure you can go hit one of your hallowed stocktard cricks in Medina (Vagina) or something.
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

Creamer

Post by Creamer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:15 am

Transylwader wrote:Woah, you're from Ohio and wanna talk smack about greenEVILle peeps getting excited over hooking fish on THEIR river?
Fuck sakes. I'm sure you can go hit one of your hallowed stocktard cricks in Medina (Vagina) or something.
I already avoid that steelhead shit, now I have another reason to do it. I'm in Ohio but 4 hours from steelhead alley.

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:49 am

not sticking up for him but i believe the quiet fishing is a northnern phenomenon thing. dont announce it. people think you have the only spot in the river if you yell HA.
Disclaim: "OH MAJOR PLAYER ON"
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

steelhound

Post by steelhound » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Anymore we get maybe 2 or 3 tr's a week that people put up, and it seems like members here always find a way to shit on them. I personally don't get out as much as I used to and enjoy seeing people catch fish, and all or the extras that get thrown in and makes the tr special to the person putting it up.
I dig this and keep it up.
frustrated. After a few "what the fucks?" "i suck"s and a break on shore I convinced her to get back to casting. I clearly remember this question/statement "so you actually think this is fun. These fish are fucked"
Marlo

McH

Post by McH » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:37 pm

yuengling huh? :vomit
you know what i am a strong fan of..... fishing and not being a douche bag. - alteredstates

For fucks sake, its just fishing...it ain't that cool. - Vito

Who the fuck comes home from fishing EARLY? A guy that whipped deserves to get cheated on.- yard4sale

upshitscreek

Post by upshitscreek » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:44 pm

steelhound wrote:Anymore we get maybe 2 or 3 tr's a week that people put up, and it seems like members here always find a way to shit on them. I personally don't get out as much as I used to and enjoy seeing people catch fish, and all or the extras that get thrown in and makes the tr special to the person putting it up.
He might be doing a little better if he hadn't named every single river he fished.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:48 pm

precisely why I often fish the warren river in sw austria, fuckos.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

mrl0004

Post by mrl0004 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:01 pm

upshitscreek wrote:
He might be doing a little better if he hadn't named every single river he fished.
Bingo!
"Don't ever underestimate the power of a good blue line session with a 1wt. Shit gets settled out on the boulders, things get prioritized. And, in the end, you put something back in the tank..." -wandering blues

Creamer

Post by Creamer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:31 pm

upshitscreek wrote:
steelhound wrote:Anymore we get maybe 2 or 3 tr's a week that people put up, and it seems like members here always find a way to shit on them. I personally don't get out as much as I used to and enjoy seeing people catch fish, and all or the extras that get thrown in and makes the tr special to the person putting it up.
I left out the places I thought were "off the radar," those were not the only cricks fished. The ones I mentioned seemed obvious to me since there were crowds at all of them.