Baby shower unicorn hunt: TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
K_P

Baby shower unicorn hunt: TR

Post by K_P » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:03 am

[report]

Last Tuesday was my 52nd birthday. I'm bald because I choose to shave my head. I have yet to have a cavity or a filling. And while my goatee is more white than red these days, I can still pace myself and outwork men half may age.

It appears that I'm trying to age gracefully while simultaneously denying that I'm aging at all.

My oldest son and daughter-in-law gave me the finest birthday gift I've received (with, of course, the exception of the birthday gift my own mother gave me all those years ago): a healthy, nine-pound grandson.

So this aging thing has its perks.

My bride, our son, and grandson.

My daughter in law, less than 24 hours after delivering a baby. She's truly a remarkable girl.

Yesterday, my wife hosted a baby shower. She told me I had one responsibility for the shower--take my son fishing for the day.

Whew. I dodged a bullet with that order.

I helped clean and prep the house. However, I knew it would be for the best if my son and I were an hour up the mountain by the time the cackling hens arrived.

The new Dad, Koda the Wundermutt, and my trusty Ford.

The progression toward peace of mind is easy to follow. It begins on paved streets in a neighborhood. Then, a two-lane asphalt road, followed by gravel, giving way eventually to a two-track road. With time, distance and elevation, the two-track gives way to a goat trail, and eventually a trailhead.

The lake we sought was new to me. I had heard rumors of it the previous fall, and drove around the back country trying to find it. I missed the trailhead on the way up that time. Instead, I found myself at a dead-end at top of a mountain, looking at the concrete and glass rubble that was all that remained of a fire lookout long since gone to ruin. On the way down, I managed to spot the trailhead just as it was getting too dark to see. I hastily entered a waypoint on my pocket GPS, hit "save," and headed home in the dark.

Winter came and went, and with it went the vague memory of a rumor that there might be a unicorn hiding in that cirque. Life and the business of making a living buried the thought in the sheer volume of the mundane as winter deeply covered that mountain lake under the snow and ice.

I frankly forgot all about it until spring came, and with spring came a miracle in the form of a nine pound baby boy. Miracles seem to beget other miracles, and so it came that as the mothers celebrated one at the family home, my son and I sought the other, now released from winter's keeping.

The trail was longer than we expected, and the combination of elevation, incline, and wintering well had us both pausing occasionally to take photographs--code language for catching our breath and allowing our heart rates to return to something near normal. However, with time and effort comes reward, and we were rewarded well.

My first four casts yielded four fish. The variety was amazing.

My son and I carried on a more-or-less nonstop conversation, punctuated regularly by pauses created by hook-ups. At one point, I simply said, "Buddy, I just want you to know how happy I am, just to be in this place with you."

Such a simple statement, and yet too often assumed rather that said. I wanted him to know the depth of my joy in that moment--in that place--in his company.

And then, the unicorn arrived, blessing us both by choosing Matt's offering.

We eventually realized that we had overspent the time allotted to us. We had a full hour of trail to negotiate, and then another hour of crawling down the mountain and driving into town. The baby shower would be long over, and wives and mothers would be waiting, knowing us well enough to understand our tardiness and to forgive us for it.

I look forward to the day when my grandson has grown enough--physically, mentally, and spiritually--that he can join his father and me on a trip to some hidden lake--whether this one or another: it really doesn't matter--where it is rumored that there might be a unicorn to be found.[/report]
Last edited by K_P on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

austrotard

Re: Baby shower unicorn hunt: TR

Post by austrotard » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:18 am

K_P wrote:[report]more white than red these days...[/report]
bit of a stretch there, mate.

but this is your finest moment, kels.
100% of everything that is important is in this tr.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

stratabass

Post by stratabass » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:27 am

Really nice stuff. Really nice.
"A part-time pirate just can't get much respect around here." JMcM

CarpeTructa

Post by CarpeTructa » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:05 am

K_P wrote:Last Tuesday was my 52nd birthday. I'm bald because I choose to shave my head. I have yet to have a cavity search or a filling.
Fixed. Congrats and nice TR. :cool
Somebody else is going to have to watch the door for me now. Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. Outcast (RIP)

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:13 am

OUTSTANDING KP !!!!!! ALL OF IT !

ak_powder_monkey

Post by ak_powder_monkey » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:55 am

That's a funny looking whitefish!

:cool
Save Wild Salmon, Eat Wild Salmon.

http://www.akpmphotos.com

fatman

Post by fatman » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:09 am

really fine
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

The Wandering Blues

Post by The Wandering Blues » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:20 am

Good stuff Kelly. And that's the way to share a milestone with your son. Soon enough, you'll have a 3rd generation on that water.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:27 am

Kelly,

Congratulations on the grandson, and on the quality time spent with your son. Thank you for sharing all of it with us.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

FredA

Post by FredA » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:33 am

Congratulations grandpa! What a fine way to celebrate as well. Being a grandpa just gets better from here.

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:36 am

Congrats, Grandpa!

johnbmadwis

Post by johnbmadwis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:39 am

KP, you've been hitting stride lately it seems. Diggin' your stuff. A lot.