Rock collecting with my youngest - non fishing TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Thrillbilly

Rock collecting with my youngest - non fishing TR

Post by Thrillbilly » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:15 am

[report]Got the chance to get out and go collecting with my youngest son today. It was quite an interesting trip with a variety of different types of scenery and weather. The day started out a little later than I would have liked, by the time we arrived at the turn out, temps in the valley were already in the mid-80s. The scenery down at this elevation was the typical Idaho desert looking terrain.

As we drove further, the desert landscape gave way to a nice looking forest and the air teps began to drop off rapidly as we gained elevation.

Our destination this trip took us well above 7000 feet, at this elevation the air temps were nice and in the mid-50s, there was even a little snow on the ground still.

We got out and began looking around, almost immediately, we were finding quartz crystals.

We explored the area for quite some time, collecting things as we found them. There was actually quite a bit that we were able to collect.

After a while, we decided that we had found enough. The pack was starting to get heavy so my son asked if I could carry it back to the truck. We both had a great day and were able to collect a lot. As we drove out, I took some more photos of the area.

Once home I decided to get some more controlled shots of some of the collected crystals. These photos only represent a small sample of what we collected. We enjoyed this trip and know we only scratched the surface at this area.

Image[/report]

fatman

Re: Rock collecting with my youngest - non fishing TR

Post by fatman » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:16 am

fine country
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:02 am

Beautiful pics.

Ever find any arrowheads out there?

Thrillbilly

Post by Thrillbilly » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:41 pm

fatman wrote:fine country

Yes it was, it was our first time there and we had some fun. Now, I just need to edge him towards fly fishing. At least he loves the outdoors and doesn't want to play video games all day.

T.J. Brayshaw wrote:Beautiful pics.

Ever find any arrowheads out there?

Thanks, I was playing with a new lens (Father's Day gift) on this trip. A while back I dunked my crappy kit 18-55 VR and had been missing that length. Having to use my longer stuff and primes sucked on trips. To replace it, I was given a 17-50 2.8. So far I like it.

Haven't found any arrowheads yet, my son started this rock collecting hobby only earlier this year. We haven't had the chance to explore a ton of places yet as this was only our fifth trip since summer started. We have been lucky though as each trip so far has produced some nice stuff.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:29 pm

this would be elizabeth heaven as she want's to be a geologist when she's older.
I nearly fucking fainted when I heard gynaecologist.

let us know if your lad wants to do a rock swap with a gorgeous wee sheila in austria.

the fellas here will contest to me stealing stones everywhere I went.
bored the ass off londa with petrified rock.

hee hee... I said 'bored the ass off londa'. I'm a funny guy.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Nice man. That I can dig!
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:03 pm

My kids would love that!

kish

Post by kish » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:42 pm

Little dude looks like he's in hog heaven. Nice.
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:20 am

lucky pop, , kid and countryside, good report all the way
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

mrl0004

Post by mrl0004 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:36 am

Sweet. I was pretty in to collecting rocks at his age. Had a little magnifying glass and everything. Still turned out to be a scientist, just not in geology.

:cool
"Don't ever underestimate the power of a good blue line session with a 1wt. Shit gets settled out on the boulders, things get prioritized. And, in the end, you put something back in the tank..." -wandering blues