“Death steals everything except our stories.”

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
fatman

“Death steals everything except our stories.”

Post by fatman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:54 am

jim-harrison-author-in-1972-everett.jpg
jim-harrison-author-in-1972-everett.jpg (123.54 KiB) Viewed 2465 times
“Barring love I'll take my life in large doses alone--rivers, forests, fish, grouse, mountains. Dogs.”
― Jim Harrison, Wolf False Memoir
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

root wad

Re: “Death steals everything except our stories.”

Post by root wad » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Now there is a loss. I'll be thinking about that one.
Life is a whole lot more simple when you plow around the stump.
"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns."

kish

Post by kish » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:14 pm

That sucks. That's a great quote. ( Which is pretty much a given if it's from him.) Finished Brown Dog not too long ago. I usually don't read books more than once, so if anyone would like it PM me your address.

(Edited to add: The book has been spoken for.)
Last edited by kish on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

Ajax

Post by Ajax » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:10 pm

This defines the word 'bummer'. Godspeed, Indian Jim. No one's going to fill the hole you've left.
I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?
-Leo Durocher

flashback

Post by flashback » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:52 pm

The man put a lot into a few words. Unique writing. Have been a big fan for many years, always looking out for more from him, often reading things I'd read before. 78 years and so young. Breaking out the best to sip for this one.

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:08 pm

Ajax wrote:This defines the word 'bummer'. Godspeed, Indian Jim. No one's going to fill the hole you've left.
Exactly... Godspeed.
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

skullion childs

Post by skullion childs » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:27 pm

Wow. That's horrible news.

Read this a few weeks ago; worth a read: http://www.anglersjournal.com/people/th ... ng-to-jim/.
"It ain't over 'till the Fatman swims" (The CC)

flatscaster

Post by flatscaster » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:29 pm

our species just lost a beautiful piece of its voice.

"Perhaps swimming was dancing under the water, he thought. To swim under lily pads seeing their green slender stalks wavering as you passed, to swim under upraised logs past schools of sunfish and bluegills, to swim through reed beds past wriggling water snakes and miniature turtles, to swim in small lakes, big lakes, Lake Michigan, to swim in small farm ponds, creeks, rivers, giant rivers where one was swept along easefully by the current, to swim naked alone at night when you were nineteen and so alone you felt like you were choking every waking moment, having left home for reasons more hormonal than rational; reasons having to do with the abstraction of the future and one's questionable place in the world of the future, an absurdity not the less harsh for being so widespread."

The man who gave up his name

Good luck out there Jim.
I feel like i been stuck at awesome; for a long time.
-Cap'n MM RN

ncguy

Post by ncguy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:57 pm

Hope to bump into Hemingway and Harrison sharing some water (guess it'll be some Michigan water) one day.
I had to learn banjo. TX
Don't let your sheepfucking ruin the best imaginary relationships you're ever gonna have.-Befuddled
Red has enough good karma in storage that he could start an online business selling it to the world's assholes. Rancho Pancho
if the trip kills you, you won't live to regret it. JT

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:10 pm

I was never a big fan of the doors.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

BigTimber

Post by BigTimber » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:25 pm

dammit Jim!
This place has enough jiggly milkbags, marsupials fisting off, and animated cherubs getting stabbed in the fuck to get anyone shitcanned, if''n their boss can''t take a joke. ~SUAF

Pussy, much like freedom, ain't free.

America has become a dildo that has turned berserkly on its owner. ~McGuane 1971

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:46 pm

One of the greats. To see what he saw and did-
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889