Best live performance-s You've ever seen

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Ursus

Re: Best live performance-s You've ever seen

Post by Ursus » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:21 pm

Hum, it seems we all have more in common than just fishing. Went to lots of concerts in the 70's - Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Zappa, Bob Seager, Foghat, Kiss, Peter Frampton, etc. but truth to tell I don't remember them - didn't then and don't now. The "non-chemical" years have turned out to be the best - at least in terms of concert going - and probably everything else as well.
The first rule of holes: when you''re in one, stop digging. n - Molly Ivins -

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:21 pm

Man my brain is swiss cheese, Doc Watson on his farewell tour after Merle died. They always seem come back though.Captain Beefheart in Eugene Ore. 79
And thus I clothe my naked villainy With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

For the record, I don't hate anyone here. I just think that some of you may have had your soft spot pushed on when you were infants. Heero

tarpon slime sunscreen

Post by tarpon slime sunscreen » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:23 pm

If you add up all the dollars we spent on concerts, think of the drake fest we could have today.BTW - it came to me last night after an agave & lime toasty, the name of the recording studio in Colorado was the Caribou Ranch. Anyone know if it's still in business? I seem to recall it burned down or something, under questionable circumstances I think. Insurance claims.

<small>[ January 14, 2007, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: tarpon slime sunscreen ]</small>
''He seeks drama, a simplified understanding of an impossibly complex subject, and of course cheap laughs.'' D. Quammen

Crick Addict

Post by Crick Addict » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:36 pm

Originally posted by Ursus:n Hum, it seems we all have more in common than just fishing. Went to lots of concerts in the 70's - Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Zappa, Bob Seager, Foghat, Kiss, Peter Frampton, etc. but truth to tell I don't remember them - didn't then and don't now. The "non-chemical" years have turned out to be the best - at least in terms of concert going - and probably everything else as well.
I concur, my (almost) sober years(insert yourn favorite occassional dark beer), have also beemy best years. It's great to go to a live music venue and actually hear the artist perform. Lifeis good! I'll be fifty real soon, if someonetold me 30 odd years ago that I would be aliveat 49 3/4, I would have thought they were nuts!
"fuck hippie beer!" Kyle

Rusty Hook

Post by Rusty Hook » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:45 pm

Originally posted by tarpon slime sunscreen:n BTW - it came to me last night after an agave & lime toasty, the name of the recording studio in Colorado was the Caribou Ranch. Anyone know if it's still in business? I seem to recall it burned down or something, under questionable circumstances I think. Insurance claims.
Like my dad always said, a successful business rarely burns...
The virtues are lost in self-interest as rivers are lost in the sea.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:51 pm

it's all coming back now... still hazy.. flashback?

<small>[ January 14, 2007, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: woolly bugger ]</small>
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:24 pm

Originally posted by Geezer:n Captain Beefheart in Eugene Ore. 79
Damn. That's a show I would have given my left newt to see. :(
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

eponymous

Post by eponymous » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:33 pm

"Young Bob" Cray. Kingston RI early 90sDo you wondern Do you think n That every time I leave my housen That I'm sneakin' aroundn But if I am n It should mean nothing to youn Since you put me downAnd it'll be the last timen That I get burned like this

<small>[ January 14, 2007, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: eponymous ]</small>
"Baseball gives every American boy a chance to excel, not just to be as good as someone else but to be better than someone else. This is the nature of man and the name of the game." Ted Williams

fatal1940

Post by fatal1940 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:40 pm

Roy Acuff, 1945 in the National Guard Armory. Someone with him sang "Old Shep" and I cried. Roy sang "The Great Speckled Bird" and Mama cried.Flatt and Scruggs, 1949 or 50 on top of the concession stand at the drive-in. It was misting and Earl had difficulty keeping in tune (skin head on his banjer was streaching because of the moisture).Frank Sinatra, 1958, Copacabana NY city. Mesmerizing.Chet Atkins, 1959, some joint on music row. We thought he would be at the Opry, wasn't. He jammed with whom I can't remember and we talked to him afterward. The thrill of my life.Charlie Bryd, 1960, dive in DC. When he played "Lullaby of Birdland" the hair rose on my neck.Johnny Cash, 1967, had to be helped on to a stool, which he fell off twice during the performance. He was great. Saw him a year later, sober and fat, he was awful.
Buy "hand-tied" flies from Sing Song Sullivan

Rusty Hook

Post by Rusty Hook » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:55 pm

We have lost so many great artists to sobriety.
The virtues are lost in self-interest as rivers are lost in the sea.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

fyshnutz

Post by fyshnutz » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:16 pm

crick addict, I'm with ya. So many times I think if someone so many years ago had said to me 'in so many years you'll be blah blah..., I would have said 'get the fuck outa here', but here I am anyway, WTF.Fatal 1940, that is an impressive list. Roy Acuff, damn... Frank Sinatra, 1958, Copacabana, double damn, that's some great stuff, thanks.
we''re gonna get thingy flapped on dillweed and bunghole some donkey punches - ''fud

The Cape Fear Kid

Post by The Cape Fear Kid » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:46 pm

for some reason I thought being 35 made me an old man on this board...man, was I mistaken.I'm numb...trying to wrap my head around seing the who in 1969 and the Allman Bros. in 71 made me reach for the exedrin.awesome thread.
"The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. "Vámonos, amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight. "