How to: Summer in MI (TR pg 4)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
-G-

How to: Summer in MI (TR pg 4)

Post by -G- » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:22 pm

Turns out I ended up having a couple of days I could take off last week. Perhaps if I knew I'd have off at an earlier date I could've planned some big trip with a bunch of buds but it was a little too late of notice to get anyone to join for the full trip.

So, I packed my shit and headed north with an empty passenger seat for a few days.

I figured it would be a good idea to head up on a full stomach though so stopped in to my favorite food truck for some fuel.

Traffic wasn't too terrible so I arrived to set up camp early. After my long drive I got hungry again, so popped a top and enjoyed some more tacos at my new home for the next day or so.

When the light started to dim I readied the few essentials and hit the river.

Turns out a friend of a friend was going to be out fishing that night as well and offered me a ride in his boat. I gratefully accepted and looked forward to spending the evening with a new fishy mind. The bugs came out in timely fashion and we had spinners that lasted us almost all night. Around 2:30am we heard a nice fish sipping hex quietly under the booshes. After watching it feed and understanding it's rhythm, Spence laid out a nice cast. Mid back cast we hear a loud screech, and a fuckn bat ate his fly mid cast and ended up landing in the boat screeching and flying all over us with his fly perfectly In the corner of the scrotum-sac-with-wings' mouth. Luckily we kept quiet, unhooked said bat and Spence fed this fish a meal with a hook in its ass a few casts later.

We fished until later and Spence's buddy fed a giant fish around 3:45am but was a little antsy on the hook set. Eventually our bugs ran dry and I took the long road back to my campsite.

The next morning I slept in and woke up starving around noon. So I did as one does when waking up at camp and made coffee.

Also threw some of these on the grill

And had this for breakfast

I had plenty of time until the next hatch, so hit a smaller river to enjoy some brook trout fishing.

There's tons of great ambush cover here for a small streamer, but I decided to keep it high brow and fish on top for the afternoon.

After a few small fish I decided to pretend to be like Jerms instead.

(Key word: pretend)

After a serious case of "I'll just fish to the next bend" I ended up with a long trek back to the car. Then I drove to a different river in hopes to find some more fish feeding off our hexagenia mayflys. I don't trust myself with my better camera in my one man tube so bear with me on the iPhone pics here.

These started to come off first

Then these finally came to the party

This particular night there was much less bugs but fish were still coming up attempting to feed their bellies for the hotter days of summer to come. It was brief action and only lasted about an hour until every fish quieted down. I picked of a few fish but was only half way down my float so took my time floating down in the darkness and ended up hearing a fish sucking down spinners in a seam off of an eddy. He'd only rise every 5 minuets or so, but after listening to him feed for a while I understood his rhythm and began to cast when it was time. Maybe 4 drifts later I hooked up with him, and even though he's no giant I thanked him for whatever aerial show he did because all I did was smile while I listened to my drag peel out downstream and watch his shadow do cartwheels in the moonlight.

I was tired as hell and my waders had a giant leak in them so was anxious to get back to find some warmth in my sleeping bag. But I still barely pushed down and enjoyed the last hour of my float in the darkness looking up at the stars.

But I'd be lying if I told you I didn't scream and curse when a fucking huge beaver swatted his tail 4 feet from me in the pitch black.

My good friend Dan wanted to fish the next day, so he met me at a new location late in the night and we woke up to a beautiful day the following morning.

With the sunny weather we were hoping for some hopper action to pick up- so when we quickly realized the streamer bite was not going to happen, we put some big foam on and had ourselves a hell of a relaxing day on the river.

We then cracked a beer

Or two.

"oops"

Dinner was starting too look damn good too

But just in case we did as one does on fishing trips, and put bacon on it.

We figured this streams hex hatch would be about done, but that was just fine because we planned on doing some mousing instead for a change in methods. We rigged our shit and after the sun set we began.

I started on the rod first and had two fish explode on my waked fly, but never got to set as I never felt them actually button. You know what they say though, third time's the charm.
He was in a spot I'd always thought I'd get one on a mouse. You know, a spot you'd never in a million years find one during the day but it was awfully enjoyable hearing that explosion and the line go tight two twitches after sneaking my mouse under that particular cedar tree.

I earned myself a spot on the oars and Dan followed suit with another good one. We put our light on it to admire the large trout and kinda just let it slip back into the dark night because it was just too damn perfect and natural feeling to do anything else.

Then my camera's battery died.

But the rest of the night and the next morning kinda followed the same tune if you even made it this far to care.

Cheers boys.

G
Last edited by -G- on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

The Wandering Blues

Re: How to: Summer in MI (TR)

Post by The Wandering Blues » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:31 pm

I'm going fishing tomorrow and it will suck compared to that. Thanks for preemptively ruining my day.

Seriously, though, enjoyed that.
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:32 pm

Thank you sir. That was a nice read.
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

flashback

Post by flashback » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:41 pm

Very nice fish.

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:53 pm

You had me at roadie tacos for later. The rest was ok too.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:00 pm

i'd eat any of those meals and i'd fish the fuck out of that beautiful water. thanks, dope report.
holding it down on the other side of the border

enjoy your catch (it died)

croaker

Post by croaker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks, I needed that...
"You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him"---Robert A. Heinlein.
"Every time a fish came to the top, he grinned from ear to ear"--- fatman

fatman

Post by fatman » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:54 pm

ok, I'll ask...what was that stuff you wrapped in bacon for the last meal?

good times :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

gankadank

Post by gankadank » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:02 pm

"as one does" and "cartwheels in the moonlight"

fine screed and reportage

Spence's use of purple bag makes me laugh
yeah; rumspringa came late.... :smile

fatman

DizzyDean

Post by DizzyDean » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Pretty sure we have the exact same taste buds. Maybe we're distantly related or something, but every part of that was right up my alley. Gonna have to hit the taco truck tomorrow and throw some dries in the PM after work.
my blog from the Sierras

http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:12 pm

oh, hell yes!
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:19 pm

pretty cool but needs more yoga pants.

fatman wrote:ok, I'll ask...what was that stuff you wrapped in bacon for the last meal?
meat brick, of course. we feed them to benson.
dumb ass.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice