Colorless Country (and colorful fish).

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Colorless Country (and colorful fish).

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:33 am

I recently went to BC. I had a bunch of airlines miles and a friend an acquaintance who doesnt know any better who was free to do some fishing. I did this in lieu of driving to Quebec on my own which I was thinking of doing in addition to this back earlier in July. It wasnt so much the fishing and camping all alone that put me off going to Quebec as doing things all alone is my life in a nutshell, its just I wasnt too keen on 15+ hour drive alone. The long drives seem to get more difficult with age.

I took some (well expired) black and white film out of the refrigerator along with an old camera, older than me but maybe not so old as some of you (like Joe). I used to do a lot of film development in my basement and really enjoy the process as a time waster. After all, its a lot of time spent in the dark which is where I am most comfortable (mostly as it pertains to uncontrollable sobbing while stuffing chocolate-chocolate cake into my mouth in closets).

We hiked up to some alpine lakes one day near Kokanee Glacier. There was still fish spawning in the outlet of one of the lakes, but there were feeding fish in the others and I caught some. The weather wasnt too great with torrential downpours the entire 3 hour walk back down.

The next day we took a guide out on the upper Columbia near Castlegar. My friend The guy who made the mistake of tolerating my presence has only retired to the area a year or so ago and insisted on taking the guide. Its a big, daunting river and he wanted to see how its fished by someone experienced before taking his own boat out. Fair enough.

It was a really enjoyable way of fishing. The guide would set the boat up in big back eddies, some 100' deep, and we would get short shots at fish, dozens of fish, in between these big whirlpools in the current. There were huge backs and tails of the fish, some easily 10lb rainbows, showing as they ate caddis in the current. It was great fun as these fish were strong and the current was really moving so I saw my backing on literally every hookup. I straightened 3 hooks (I tied on medium dry hooks when I shouldve tied on heavy wet hooks), broke a couple off, and landed a bunch, but nothing really huge. Didn't really take many pictures here.

Then we headed out to the East Kootenays for a few days and camped out of his truck top camper. We fished a few different rivers, all having the name of an animal but alas none were named for chickens.

I didnt really take many pictures of fish here either. I spent the majority of my fishing time (which may have only been slightly more than the time spent lounging and drinking wine) fishing for cutthroat. I did rig up a bull trout setup a few times and give it a half-hearted go, but, while Ive caught bulls up to 8 or 9lbs on previous forays, its not really the most enjoyable sort of fishing for me, especially in those pools where one can see the fish and then just harass them until they take. The hookup is exciting, but the fight leaves something to be desired and then I land this fish, maybe take a picture before releasing it, and then feel bad about spending all that time harassing the thing. I much prefer the cutty fishing with their slow raise on the dry fly, take, then slow descent - its like theyve not a care in the world.

And the end of the trip, the ferry crossing back across Kootenay Lake.

Thats all. I cant believe Ive actually posted a report. Huh.

Ginseng Sullivan

Re: Colorless Country (and colorful fish).

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:37 am

great landscapes Mike, love those B&W's. Looks like some amazing country.

Wholetmygoatsout

Post by Wholetmygoatsout » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:46 am

You need to post more TR's .....this was most excellent despite the lack of chickens.
"..I made my living on here drawing dicks for the last 4+ years". RFA

"Sometimes you are the dog, sometimes you are the tree". Mario Gotze

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:26 am

Great report Heero, I like the B&W
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:28 am

Ok, one more (with chickens).

Back in May I spent some time is Slovenia and Australia. I actually brought an old camera and some (well past expiration) rolls of black and white film me to take pitchers but when I loaded it up I found that it was broken and would not advance film. I couldnt repair it there, so I just used a regular camera.

I wasnt really there to fish as I have been in times past, but I did do some fishing for a few hours a couple days. They had been having a lot of rain the week before I arrived which combined with the snow melt that was finishing had the larger rivers and streams very high so I mostly just fished one little stream. I caught a bunch of rainbows and marble trout, but no grayling this time.

When I was in Australia, I saw a brochure for the Australian Chicken Museum with Chicken Flight Demos. Well, I like chickens so I stopped by one day. The museum was pretty neat, full of chicken stuff.

The museum was in a castle, the castle in the background of this painting.

Here are some pictures from the museum.

They also did some flight demos while I was there. They flew a lanner chicken, saker chicken, ferruginous chicken (a North American chicken), harris chicken (another NA chicken), bald chicken (again), white-tailed sea chicken, imperial chicken, and 3 vulture chickens. At one point they had the 3 vulture chicken, ferrug, imperial chicken and sea chicken all soaring around together over the castle and valley. I wanted to talk to the chickeners about the local chickening, but unfortunately I dont speak a lick of Australian so there was a communication barrier more impenetrable than the castle we were in. They only had a short, recorded blurb on the loudspeaker prior to the demo in American, but I got the impression they dont really use their chickens for hunting, at least not at or around this castle.

fatman

Post by fatman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:33 am

I lime cutthroats. nice camper rig.

cool chickens

thanks

:smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

RaZ

Post by RaZ » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:00 am

general tso licking his chops
"Then let us know how that goes, you smug motherfucker"

Ajax

Post by Ajax » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:13 am

That camper looks familiar.
I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?
-Leo Durocher

MTgrayling
Location: ...down river from you when steelheading; releasing a whitefish above you when the trout are on...

Post by MTgrayling » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:28 am

Damn you!

You should have gone to dillon, they have vomit colored water and carps, many many carps.
Ryan found his way out; your escape awaits...

Let there be HIGH water!

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:31 am

Excellence all around. The landscape around that castle is amazing.

Salvaged about 3/4 of the dark room stuff when we sold my dads house. Can't wait for the day I put it all back together.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:03 am

I don't know which report I enjoyed more... thanks, Mike!
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:16 am

pretty awesome.

you should get Dewayne to paint your bird.
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc