I wish I was.....

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Randall Dee

I wish I was.....

Post by Randall Dee » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:50 pm

[report]….a Canadian.

Yeah. It’s true. Now more than ever. I figure if Trump wins, I'm moving. And if Hillary wins, I'm moving.

You get to fish for Steelheads on the weekend while all the wader clad foreigners are doing laundry. Everything is so clean and orderly. And the bathrooms have TP. I've even been on a Canadian Whisky kick as of late. I can even spell it like a Canadian. Whisky. I figure I’d live somewhere within easy reach of the holy grounds to the west and the Rockies to the east. Kamloops maybe. I’ve never been to Kamloops. But I like it already.

I haven’t put up any content for a while. It’s been a busy stay at home summer for me. I got out for an early steelface float with Yard and then that was it.

My daughter got married on Labor Day weekend. At first, their plan was a destination wedding somewhere in the Caribbean. I liked that idea a lot. Mostly, because it meant that it would be a small little affair with few people. But then they realized that a large portion of their friends and family would not be able to attend. One thing lead to another and the next thing I know, her mother and I were hosting. I knew straight away that it meant that my summer was doomed. We have a pretty modest home in Portland proper. But it’s on a 1/2 acre lot. So there was room. But there were a lot of things that I had been neglecting for far too long. So I had plenty to do.

But things came off well and it was a nice little wedding. We hired a pizza truck and did all the supporting food ourselves.

My wife canned about 150 jars of jam as gifts.

Occasionally in my life, there have been events that transpire that just make it feel like the end of an era. Loosing white dog and then 2 weeks later watching my daughter get married felt like one of those times. Out with the old, in with the new. I hope to have another dog soon. I’ve been looking forward to training and working with a new pup. But I’m not sure if I’m quite ready for all the energy of a puppy. They are fun and all, but the mellowness of an older dog is a thing of beauty.

About a week after the wedding, my wife and I hit the road for a week of touring in the van. We just needed a good road trip to relieve the stress of it all. Getting ready for the wedding left me with little time to prepare. So, we just winged it. I bought a used kick boat about a year ago and brought it along for the trip. I was really hoping to use it a few times. But as it turned out, it never got inflated once. I drove up to a lake one day and saw the hoards of tourists and knew right away that I wasn’t going to be fishing. If I have to do it in front of a bunch Asians taking my picture, then I’ll find something else to do.

Speaking of Asians, we saw plenty. Bus loads of them. One thing I noticed, was that while I like to take photos of nature, they like to take photos of themselves in nature.

Here's me taking a picture of another Asian taking a picture of another Asian standing in Nature. Not sure what that says about me.

Out of 10 days on the road, I only fished one day. But it was the highlight of the trip. I got to meet up with Peetso and not only share a camp fire with him for a couple of nights, but also walk one of his favorite streams with him and we had it all to ourselves. Thanks for that Peetso, and thanks for showing me one of your spots.

Real Canadian shit...

Canadian delicacy...

Shameless plug. Go Beavs...

It seems to be a reoccurring theme, but the mice seem to like the inside of my van. So, like any good Canadian outdoorsman, I got my trap line on.......

Gift from the Borealist.....

New sticker from the the Borealist.....

We hit 6 Canadian National Parks. On the way home we detoured through the Canadian wine country and the apple country of Washington state.

Never fished this well known river, but I've heard good things.....

Work has a hold of me with the golden handcuffs.

But yeah, Canada.

I'm looking into it.[/report]
Last edited by Randall Dee on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austrotard

Re: I wish I was.....

Post by austrotard » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:17 pm

canadians spell it losing.

oh, and they're gay.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

yard4sale

Post by yard4sale » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:19 pm

Everything but the beer....

I see that block of cheese I stashed in the chassis of your van is still paying dividends.

amazing pics as always good sir.
You can't go back and you can't stand still
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will

When your choices are between a pedophile religious zealot or a dem suddenly the pedophile religious zealot doesn't sound too bad. - PLOW

fatman

Post by fatman » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:28 pm

got-damn fine :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

kish

Post by kish » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:36 pm

That is a bad-ass van. Congrats on being done with the wedding. My oldest daughter is getting married in two weeks, and the stress levels are slowly rising.
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

augustwest

Post by augustwest » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Sorry for your loss of white dog. Congrats on your daughter's marriage, and what appears to have been a first-rate sendoff.

The rest of that looked really, really good, especially the part with the peetso sighting. Well done all around.
"Enjoy every sandwich." -- W. Zevon

blumpkin

Post by blumpkin » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:44 pm

Outstanding...
"Dunno how this’ll go, I’ve been drinking since 2”
Travis.

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:38 am

That wedding looked like a damn fine time, as did the trip to the GWN.

I'd give you and The Peetso both high points for Tarp Life, but yours is kinda glampy, i'nt it?

Good stuff, gorgeous country, beautiful shots.

Condolences on your pup.

Let's fish. :cool
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:34 am

Congrats on your daughters wedding. none of that sucked at all. at all.
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:09 am

Beautiful photos.

southernstrain

Post by southernstrain » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:11 am

I would give my left nut for that van and the ability to travel around Canadia land with it.

Condolences on the god

Wishing you and yours all the best for the future

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:22 am

Making the most out of life's transitions. Thanks for sharing RD.
some people like Rocky Mountain Oysters... the rest wonder why they are eating balls. - Woolybug

#SavetheDace20XX