one of us

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Kfoxwyo

Re: one of us

Post by Kfoxwyo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:00 am

let me know when this auction closes, if closed I will send funds,
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 pm

request for happy time updates.
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

augustwest

Post by augustwest » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:09 pm

Multiple shipments of fishing/tying reading materials are en route. More will follow once I confirm that he's getting everything we've sent. Thanks to all who contributed, I'm grateful.
"Enjoy every sandwich." -- W. Zevon

fatman

Post by fatman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:04 pm

so who has to draw straws to sneak the scissors in up their ass? :bullshit
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

root wad

Post by root wad » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:32 pm

fatman wrote:so who has to draw straws to sneak the scissors in up their ass? :bullshit
Well it was your idea.
"A hatchery is what you get 'when you cross a sacred cow with a military base.'" Dr. Bernard Shanks
"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns."

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:42 pm

root wad wrote:
fatman wrote:so who has to draw straws to sneak the scissors in up their ass? :bullshit
Well it was your idea.
Exactly. :coffee
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

root wad

Post by root wad » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:16 pm

Plus it looks like he also has plenty of room for the vice. Plus a couple boxes of hooks, some head cement and a hair stacker.
"A hatchery is what you get 'when you cross a sacred cow with a military base.'" Dr. Bernard Shanks
"When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns."

fatman

Post by fatman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:24 pm

damn, that's cold....

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

ironman

Post by ironman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:34 pm

fatman wrote:damn, that's cold....
Only for a moment.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

fatman

Post by fatman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:39 pm

ironman wrote:
fatman wrote:damn, that's cold....
Only for a moment.
running warm water on the vise right now.... :smile

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:41 pm

punchline:

I'm fairly certain we have a vase, love.
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

augustwest

Post by augustwest » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:52 pm

augustwest wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:09 pm
Multiple shipments of fishing/tying reading materials are en route. More will follow once I confirm that he's getting everything we've sent. Thanks to all who contributed, I'm grateful.
He got the goods over a span of several months -- books (Radencich, Arnold, McGuane, Harrison, Alevras, Kelson, Hale, Shewey, Dombrowski, de la Valdene, Rose, Veverka, Middleton) and many Drake back issues, which also circulated among his fellow residents (with a waiting list) and may have converted a few. Huge thanks to the Drake's own Dawn W for help with the back issues, her attention to the mandatory details ensured that the shipments were not rejected by the powers that be. These books and magazines helped him get through it, you folks did such a good thing. He is grateful beyond words -- you helped him survive some very rough times.

I still have some of the funds that you all contributed and will continue to use them to support him -- thank you again for your generosity.

Now the next step: He is clean, living independently, working, and rebuilding. But he is not tying, because he doesn't have anything. Getting back to tying is what he wants more than anything, though he won't ask for help.

This week I am sending a beginner's clamp-on vise -- donated by my 17 year old daughter -- and some of my extra tools and materials to get him started. With some of the remaining funds I will eventually purchase him a good used rotary vise when I find one. In the meantime, he could use supplies to tie trout and steelhead flies -- hooks, feathers, thread, fur, yarn, everything. All my tying is for steelhead, warmwater and saltwater, so I don't know exactly what he needs for trout, but I'm sure some of you do.

He doesn't need tons of anything, just the extra stuff you won't miss if you throw it in a ziplock and mail it to me. If you have anything you can spare please PM me for my address, I'll batch it up and send it in multiple shipments as it comes in. If you want to include a letter of encouragement that would be great, but no harm if you don't.

He has access to some good trout water. A local loaned him a rod and reel temporarily, and he bought a 5 wt line at Walmart. He caught a fish on his first cast. He just wants to work, fish, tie flies, and continue to rebuild. We can help him with most of that. Thank you.
"Enjoy every sandwich." -- W. Zevon