Fishing and camping and Scotch. I like Scotch.

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Surly

Fishing and camping and Scotch. I like Scotch.

Post by Surly » Mon May 08, 2006 9:34 am

Got back last night from a four day trip to Shenandoah Nat'l Park. Hiked a couple of miles into a creek in the park and set up camp on Thursday. Here is a shot of what we were up against... ImageGot in a half day of fishing on Thursday in perfect weather. Tons of bugs coming off, a parachute adams did the trick. Image Friday the fish seemed to respond better to a yellow stimmy. A second buddy hiked in and met us at lunch. Fished the lower portion of the stream, close to the trailhead. Turns out we were fishing behind a dude, the fishing wasn't all that great. Hiked a mile or so above him and got back into fish.A front moved through Friday night, seemed to put the fish off a little on Saturday (or was it the hangover from all the Scotch?). A parachute adams with a GRHE soft hackle caught some fish, most on the dropper. Lost count, but I caught enough fish to be very happy.hiked out on Sunday and fished the Thornton River, right next to 211. A much smaller stream this time. On the first cast to the first decent pool this guy was dumb enough to eat... Image Now I need to learn how to take pictures that look 1/2 as good as Zach's...
"If the trout are lost, smash the State." Thomas McGuane

Glista

Re: Fishing and camping and Scotch. I like Scotch.

Post by Glista » Mon May 08, 2006 9:42 am

Surly,Those are some dam nice pictures. Looks like a very cool place. What kind of Scotch did you have?Charlie.P.S. If you want to learn how to take good pictures ask Ginseng Sullivan. He’s extremely good at it, has more than a few pictures in magazines to his credit and is always willing to share some good advice.

FliesOnly

Post by FliesOnly » Mon May 08, 2006 9:47 am

Image This is some nice shit, although, it's freakin expensive... I split a bottle while fishin a hex spinner fall and slept in the car at the takeout.....
"yeah go and catch that big one over there, while i twist up another hooter. don''t fuck around too long though lunch is in 15 minutes and then it''s nap time."n ~Ginseng Sullivan "Guiding the private water"

Surly

Post by Surly » Mon May 08, 2006 9:49 am

Lessee, between the three of us we had samples of Balvenie Double Wood (gayest sounding name for liquor ever), Dalwhinnie 15, Glenfiddich 17, Macallan 12, Caol Ila. I think that was it. Sip, sip, pass...

Glista

Post by Glista » Mon May 08, 2006 10:18 am

FliesOnly,Love Lagavulin, but like you said, it is pricey.
Originally posted by Surly:n Balvenie Double Wood (gayest sounding name for liquor ever)
Thats funny, but it is good. :D

SageBrush

Post by SageBrush » Mon May 08, 2006 12:13 pm

Ahhhh Dalwhinnie....the Breakfast Scotch.
:cool: n S.B.
nemo wrote: Guys, guys, please. I just got an e-mail from Mr. Ormsby, and it seems he was a bit offended that you didn't take time to read his novel, not to mention that you made fun of his Canadianess.

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Mon May 08, 2006 12:18 pm

I've tried, really. My brain is somehow hard-wired so that all scotch tastes like this:n ImageMore for you guys, I guess. I'll stick to bourbon.
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish

Surly

Post by Surly » Mon May 08, 2006 12:28 pm

Balvenie's my go-to, keep it on hand at all times Scotch.

coolconman

Post by coolconman » Mon May 08, 2006 12:34 pm

I'm with you BW, although I've never tried any of the real high end stuff. :cool:
"Hey man, I''m not a tree hugger......but if I see one with titties, Ima hump da shit out of it."n ~dutch(effin new guy)

SageBrush

Post by SageBrush » Mon May 08, 2006 4:35 pm

Originally posted by Brookwookie:n I've tried, really. My brain is somehow hard-wired so that all scotch tastes like this:
And I assume you know how this tastes fron your years of collecting cans and bottles in a shopping cart and living in a Van......DOWN BY THE RIVER.S.B.
nemo wrote: Guys, guys, please. I just got an e-mail from Mr. Ormsby, and it seems he was a bit offended that you didn't take time to read his novel, not to mention that you made fun of his Canadianess.

bigtj

Post by bigtj » Mon May 08, 2006 4:42 pm

Lagavulin, at about $68 a bottle, is well worth the price. Laphroaig 15-year is a good bet as well in about the same price range, I have seen it at Costco for $50. Ardbeg 10-yr is another great choice along those lines and about as expensive as Lagavulin. Nothing like a smokey, peatey Islay when streamside. For me though it's Lagavulin all the way.BTW $68 for a bottle of scotch isn't that "high end". Check this out if you want to spend some $$ http://www.internetwines.com/rws28602.html Or this: http://www.internetwines.com/rws25272.html Those prices are ridiculous, but I would spend the ~$300 on a bottle of Laphroaig 30-year: http://www.internetwines.com/gz7760015.html It's way too easy to spend way more than $68 on a bottle of great scotch.-John

<small>[ May 08, 2006, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: bigtj ]</small>

bigtj

Post by bigtj » Mon May 08, 2006 4:49 pm

Wookie,You must be trying that Johnny Walker and Cutty Sark crap. Get somebody to give you a taste of the good stuff, like some lagavulin, and the last thing you will be thinking of is aqua velva.-John