5 flies - All Situations

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
coolconman

5 flies - All Situations

Post by coolconman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:11 pm

OK, heres the deal. You are being taken on a trout fishing trip in the great US of A. You don't know what region, or even what time of year or whether you're fishing a lake or river. You are only allowed 5 fly patterns, but you get all sizes and color variations of that pattern(ie: a size 12 tan elk-hair caddis and a size 18 black elk-hair caddis would count as a single fly). What flies do you choose...Me and a fishing buddy back in Montana were drinking (imagine that) last fall and his little sister's new boyfriend called at some point when we were more than a little buzzed. We were harrassin the shit out of him when he claimed he was a fly-fisherman, so much to his sister's embarrassment, we used this test to judge whether or not he was worthy of dating the girl. I don't remember his answers, but he turned out to be one helluva fisherman when I finally met him.Anyway, my 5 are:elk-hair caddis-If you don't have this one you failn bead-head hare's ear-this is a close call between BH prince and BH pheasant tail, so I have to go with personal successn woolly buggern parachute adamsn stimulator-the last one is a tough call, but you can use these for everything from october caddis, salmonflies, and hoppers and if nothing else, it makes a good strike indicatorBent Rods and Full Pints
"Hey man, I''m not a tree hugger......but if I see one with titties, Ima hump da shit out of it."n ~dutch(effin new guy)

Brookwookie

Re: 5 flies - All Situations

Post by Brookwookie » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:22 pm

I already get the feeling that these lists are going to be mostly identical:hare's ear parachuten elk hair caddisn beadhead hare's ear nymphn woolly buggern white marabou streamerIt pains me to leave out the Adams. And about a dozen other flies. Curse you.
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish

caddis

Post by caddis » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:34 pm

Adamsn Elk Hair Caddisn Stimulatorn I can give these a haircut and make'em sink if I want to lower myself to nymphing, therefore I don't need no stinkin' five patterns.

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:36 pm

Adams - (fave all around dry attractor (not para), close tie with a Stimmy.)n Hare's ear - (all around nymph)n Dave's Hopper - (the generic hopper.)n Winged para-ant - (trout love ants, period.)n Olive Matuka - (had some great days when browns wouldn't touch a bugger, but were going crazy for Matukas.)And, and, and....

<small>[ December 03, 2005, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Smithhammer ]</small>
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

FliesOnly

Post by FliesOnly » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:53 pm

Ok here goes.....Adamsn Stimulatorn BH Pheasant Tailn X Caddis-Like the profile over the ol EHC..n Muddler..Wolly Bugger..Muddler..Wolly Bugger~Ill take the Muddler by a nose......
"yeah go and catch that big one over there, while i twist up another hooter. don''t fuck around too long though lunch is in 15 minutes and then it''s nap time."n ~Ginseng Sullivan "Guiding the private water"

cfisher

Post by cfisher » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:19 pm

Stimulator (go figure) n Parachute Adamsn The Worm...yep, there I said it; at leat my affair with Juan is in the open now! Whew...n Hares Earn Wolly Bugger
I fish because I love to...and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. ~ Robert Traver, aka John Voelker

Bearmon

Post by Bearmon » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:51 pm

Elk Hair Caddisn Bead Head Pheasant Tailn Green Caddis Pupaen Wolly Buggern Big Fat Juicy Night Crawler...n Where the hell did that come from..n I meant to say.... Meal Wormn Shit... I meant Adamsn Whew!
" I''m the CEO of the mailroom clerks, good God Almighty I''m a piece of work"n J. Buffett

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:23 pm

1)Griffith's gnat (REALLY disappointed that nobody else picked that, since coolcon said it could be any time of year and midges are the only hatch you're going to find in February for much of the West.)n 2) egg-sucking leech (just in case there's steelhead in the river on this "trout fishing trip")n 3)parachute adams (OK, I'll give you that one. But Smith, don't see the need for this AND a para ant AND a hopper.)n 4) Double bunny (what, are there NO streamer fisherman out there?)n 5) Bead head Hare's Ear or Pheasant Tail, wouldn't matter which
"Any mods on this forum or what? It's just a free for all of people being assholes to one another?"

bigtj

Post by bigtj » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:09 pm

This is easy:simple pt (i.e. no thorax) w/ ice dub tailtarantulaclouser minnowcopper johnEC caddis

boanded

Post by boanded » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:17 pm

Ok,I'll play ....n Elk hair caddisn Royal wulf or Coachman - choose these over stimulators cause of the 'all sizes' rule,ever seen a size 18 or 20 stimulator ? n Any olive emergern Hare's earn Clouser minnow

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:34 pm

#1 by far and away the must have: Rs2 in a whole host of sizes and colors.n And the rest:n Chew Toy n black beautyn H&L variant - Am I the only one that fishes for cutties?n Wolly Buggern Double bunnien Comparadunn Rockwormn Kaufmans Stonen Prince nymph
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:35 pm

Oh wait that was ten flies, Shit what was I smoking Man?
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA