5 flies - All Situations

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
WT

Re: 5 flies - All Situations

Post by WT » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:06 pm

In no particular order.Sparkle DunIris CaddisStimmyAntWoolhead Sculpin

unclejesse

Post by unclejesse » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:39 pm

X-caddisn Parachute Adamsn stimulatorn copper johnn hare's ears

wabos kid

Post by wabos kid » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:02 pm

wooly bugger (black)n muddlern cdc and elkn San Juan wormn Montreal or something similarn Les
Only the guy on the bottom is gay. Everyone else is just horny.

Jed

Post by Jed » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:02 pm

Bead Head Gold Ribbed Hares Earn Prince Nymphn Griffith's gnat (I've fished them wet too)n Wooly Buggern Elk Hair CaddisThat would cover dry, wet, streamer, nymph and would work everywhere except for ocean speckled trout, sea run trout or Steelies. Maybe add a clouser hidden somewhere for some ocean action. jed

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:07 pm

Harrop Hairwing Dun - in the right size and color, the only mayfly adult pattern I use, from lakes to spring creeks to pocketwater. The tail can be trimmed to make a usable caddis dry.Griffith Gnat - I also like these when they're barely floating as midge emergers. I've trimmed the bottom and made an emergency Trico cluster pattern. Wooly Bugger - need I say more.BH Pheasant Tail - ditto (I tie mine with a bead thorax, and I'm assuming the rules allow for tungsten, brass and glass bead versions)CDC Caddis - often works better damp than dry.The only reservations about this list would be that without a mayfly spinner pattern and a beetle I'd be caught short somewhere, sometime.

<small>[ December 03, 2005, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Jon ]</small>
"unsalvageably incoherent"

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:43 pm

Originally posted by nemo:n n 3)parachute adams (OK, I'll give you that one. But Smith, don't see the need for this AND a para ant AND a hopper.)
Unless you happen to believe in extra terrestrials.I Do. Image
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

coolconman

Post by coolconman » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:57 pm

Originally posted by stimmy:n The Worm...yep, there I said it; at leat my affair with Juan is in the open now! Whew...
I love/hate the worm, but dammit if it doesn't catch a shitload of fish. It's just a little too much like bobber/bait fishing. And when I want to do that, I find it's easier to hold a beer and cast a bait pole than hold a beer and cast a flyrod
"Hey man, I''m not a tree hugger......but if I see one with titties, Ima hump da shit out of it."n ~dutch(effin new guy)

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:09 pm

Newbs?
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish

flyfisheraa573

Post by flyfisheraa573 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:00 pm

Para-Adamsn Turcks Tarantulan Power Ant (cinammon)n Pheasant Tailn Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear
"Sweet Jesus. I'd rather be caught hammering my jojo in the confessional." - Ajax

Ian Forbes

Post by Ian Forbes » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:04 pm

Okay, I'll playThis is sort of like a parachute adams, and it's my first choice when trout are on mayflies
ImageThis bead head has ALREADY seen a bunch of trout but it's still working well
ImageI can't leave out the Wooly Bugger because it catches fish everywhere.
ImageVariations of the Deer hair caddis works for all caddis and stoneflies
ImageMy last choice was a difficult one, but I have to go with my O'Mykiss Marauder. I've caught too many salmon and steelhead with it to leave it behind.
ImageI'd like a sixth choice because of the variety of fishing I do. If I'm lake fishing I can get by with the Wooly Bugger instead of my O'Mykiss Marauder, but I'd hate to leave out a chironomid pattern.

banknote

Post by banknote » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:17 pm

caddis pupan EHCn golden stone nymph (HEAVY)n muddler variations n parachute adamson the bubble:n serendipity (light tan - try it)n flying antn hare's ear nymphn cdc loopwing emerger
Dude, roller.

Vermonter

Post by Vermonter » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:26 pm

Serendipity (Pearl and Peacock)n Pheasant Tail Alternative (see Charlie Craven's site)n Copper Johnn CDC and Elkn Caddis Humpy
"Some call it losin'', some call it a gain. Some call it sunshine, then piss on the rain."