Slump is over?

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Ursus

Slump is over?

Post by Ursus » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:59 pm

So, I did it. I joined the dark side and used spawn and a spinning rod on my favorite little steelhead river (80-90% wild reproduction) and managed to hook into 3 - one pushing the 10 lb mark - Yahoo!! Lots of trout as well. God it felt good to feel that head shake again and fight a big fish long enough to make my arm tired. Now the plan is to fish spawn for two more weekends for steelies, and then back to the "light". By the way, why does it feel like cheating when you use spawn? I found today that it is still a real challenge to present it well -not unlike a globug or nymph. The best part of today is that we hiked back in far enough to have the river entirely to ourselves (quite a blessing during the height of steelhead season in Michigan)and because there were no others out harrassing them on their beds, we got to watch big steelies making little steelies - too cool. Thanks guys for helping me get my mojo back - don't know if it was the spawn or the hobo - or perhaps the ground chub - but regardless, I am a happy girl.
n Ursus
The first rule of holes: when you''re in one, stop digging. n - Molly Ivins -

Bearmon

Re: Slump is over?

Post by Bearmon » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:59 pm

You got three? Thst must be one spent Hobo!
" I''m the CEO of the mailroom clerks, good God Almighty I''m a piece of work"n J. Buffett

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:49 pm

Tonight, the band plays forr Ursus. :( Image Image Image Image Image
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

tom

Post by tom » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:09 pm

All you had to do was take off that pickett pinn! :( :( (Unless you have shiners in Michigan?)
I'm so old I remember when women had ear rings and men had tattoos~Lefty Kreh

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:24 am

going to bait will not end your slump but actualy make it longer and more fishless. now you have upset the fish gods and will be paying for it for a long time. just say "no" to bait.

Jon

Post by Jon » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:50 am

Originally posted by Ursus:n Now the plan is to fish spawn for two more weekends for steelies, and then back to the "light". By the way, why does it feel like cheating when you use spawn? n Ursus
Because it is .... now you'll have to lose the evil bait juju. It could take years, and several more hobos. :D
"unsalvageably incoherent"

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:27 am

Originally posted by Jon:n .... now you'll have to lose the evil bait juju. It could take years, and several more hobos. :D
'fraid Jon speaking some truth here, Ursus. A momentary daliance into bait chuckin' is alright (I guess), but planning another two weeks of it?!? :p n They's lining up: Image
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

Ursus

Post by Ursus » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:49 pm

In all seriousness - it wasn't the hobo or the ground chub and it could have had nothing to do with the spawn. It might have just been that we found some untouched water in a very small creek (about 25 feet across) and I remembered what it mean't to move with stealth again. Indeed, my knees got a bit sore from kneeling on them to keep low and out of sight. I was moving slow, paying attention to where my shadow was and would be and - now don't laugh - I imagined myself a heron when I had to be in the water. Bottom line - I was a bit more focused. So the good news is, I won't have to sleep with a hobo again - that's a very good thing. I might miss the ground chub though - it reminded me of a bit of that midwest domestic from the 70's:)I am going to stick with the spawn though - just in case.Ursus
The first rule of holes: when you''re in one, stop digging. n - Molly Ivins -

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:39 pm

Originally posted by Ursus:n So the good news is, I won't have to sleep with a hobo again
Dearest Slumpy,You employ the strangest method of hobocide I've ever encountered.Regards, Brookwookie
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish