News Flash

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
FliesOnly

News Flash

Post by FliesOnly » Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:39 pm

Image n Double-Mouthed Fish Pulled From Neb. Laken By Associated Pressn Wed Dec 21, 5:21 PMLINCOLN, Neb. - This fish didn't have a chance. A rainbow trout pulled out of Holmes Lake last weekend had double the chance to get hooked: It had two mouths.Clarence Olberding, 57, wasn't just telling a fisherman's fib when he called over another angler to look at the two-mouthed trout. It weighed in at about a pound.[/img] reached down and grabbed it to take the hook out, and that's when I noticed that the hook was in the upper mouth and there was another jaw protruding out below," said Olberding.He said in his 40 years of fishing, he's never seen anything like it.Don Gabelhouse, head of the fisheries division of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, said a two-mouthed fish was new to him, too.[/img]t's probably a genetic deformity," he said. [/img] don't think there's anything wrong with it."The second mouth didn't appear to be functional, Olberding said. He has plans for the fish, which don't included mounting.[/img]'m going to smoke it up and eat it," he said.***Was this downstream of a nuclear reactor? Inquiring minds want to know......
"yeah go and catch that big one over there, while i twist up another hooter. don''t fuck around too long though lunch is in 15 minutes and then it''s nap time."n ~Ginseng Sullivan "Guiding the private water"

bigtj

Re: News Flash

Post by bigtj » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:15 pm

Quote:Don Gabelhouse, head of the fisheries division of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, said a two-mouthed fish was new to him, too.[/img]t's probably a genetic deformity," he said. [/img] don't think there's anything wrong with it."
:stupid: You have got to be shitting me...we're paying some fisheries guy $40K a year to say a fish with two mouths doesn't have anything wrong with it?? That is the dumbest thing I think I've heard in years.-John

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:44 pm

Originally posted by FliesOnly:n n [/img]t's probably a genetic deformity," he said. [/img] don't think there's anything wrong with it.[/img]'m going to smoke it up and eat it," he said.
I know where I'm never going for a fish dinner....
"unsalvageably incoherent"

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:49 pm

TJ - Don't forget, "He's got a Master's Degree, in Science!" If a scientist says its normal, then its normal. You can't expect lay people like us to understand. Besides, haven't they always been right before? Image
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:32 pm

Originally posted by Smithhammer:n If a scientist says its normal, then its normal. You can't expect lay people like us to understand. Besides, haven't they always been right before?
Haha. One of my fishing buddies and my sister both work in big science(tm). You wouldn't believe some of the tales of rock stupidity they both attribute to PhDs.n Image
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish

bigtj

Post by bigtj » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:44 pm

'hammer,Dude I have a masters in hydrogeology and an undergrad in enviornmental engineering. I guess you could say I'm a hard-core scientist. From my point of view, what that dude said can only lead me to believe he is on crack, I don't care if he has a PhD in ichtyhology. As every student of science should know, a fish with two mouths DEFINITELY HAS SOMETHING WRONG WITH IT. In fact, why didn't he just say, after scratching his head and wearing a dumb look:"umm, I've never seen a trout with two mouths before, but I suspect that it AINT RIGHT"Thanks for those pics I'm laughing my ass off.-John

<small>[ December 22, 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: bigtj ]</small>

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:52 pm

LOL. If they keep turning up, it will probably be touted as a desirable advantage:"Studies have shown double-mouthed fish offer anglers twice the opportunity!!""Double your angling fun in Nebraska!!"Don Gabelhouse, head of the fisheries division of the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, had this to say;"We've studied it extensively, and can confirm that yes, the fish has two mouths. Science has known about this for a long time, and rest assured, it's perfectly normal. In fact, I'm talking out my 2nd mouth right now."
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

Salty

Post by Salty » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:56 pm

Rep Pombo,et al will tout this as proof that pollution does not adversely affect species "Hey, they're even more able to feed now than before PCB's were added to the water supply"

<small>[ December 22, 2005, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Salty in Tampa ]</small>
Ryan

http://busterwantstofish.com

"a complete lack on intellectual curiosity, and a sense of humor that make beavis and butthead look like NPR commentators" Fyshnutz

coolconman

Post by coolconman » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:01 pm

Originally posted by FliesOnly:n [/img]t's probably a genetic deformity," he said. [/img] don't think there's anything wrong with it."
Genetic Deformity?? You mean like Downs Syndrome, or Multiple Sclerosis? Just because genetic deformities can happen from natural causes doesn't mean that there's nothing wrong with the fish. Reminds me of a Simpson's episode called "Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish" Image
"Hey man, I''m not a tree hugger......but if I see one with titties, Ima hump da shit out of it."n ~dutch(effin new guy)