First Annual River Militia Bake - SW Ohio

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Bruiser

Re: First Annual River Militia Bake - SW Ohio

Post by Bruiser » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Great trip guys. Keep the photos and stuff coming.
That sounds awesome in my ears!! (P-A)

we were basking in goodness here with our everyday drivel that we enjoy.... the rest of this is horseshit, flybug.pa.

skullion childs

Post by skullion childs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:42 pm

Thursday.

So we made it to the ramp, got the boats in the water and headed out: BGH had AJ and Fallen; Palometa piloted PXATim and I.

Fallen guaranteed us a huge striper on the first cast. That was the jinx that set the tone of the entire trip. BGH had done well the past four days, but Fallen's first cast jinx got us.

It was amazing water, though.
FallenBake 2017-7.jpg
FallenBake 2017-7.jpg (147.21 KiB) Viewed 513 times
FallenBake 2017-8.jpg
FallenBake 2017-8.jpg (152.47 KiB) Viewed 513 times
FallenBake 2017-9.jpg
FallenBake 2017-9.jpg (171.23 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Well, all of us except Palometa, who probably wasn't there to hear the jinx, and caught a true striper, albeit a little guy.

We even ran into some other Drake folk on the water. BMBarrelcooker and friend. Fallen didn't recognize them at first, though, and threw rocks at them. And, apparently, at others. But that's a different story.

Got the boats out of the water, safely parked on BGH's bluegrass, and headed out for breakfast.

I could swear I took pictures of breakfast, but they're all missing. Tim's wings & waffles were a highlight, and my shrimp and grits were excellent. As was the company. Of whom I have no pictures. Sorry.

Said our goodbyes to BMBarrelcooker, BGH and Palometa (who couldn't come to camp to play). Great, great guys.

Headed back to Fallen's from Lewlville. While there, I got a nice shot of Average Joe.
FallenBake 2017-10.jpg
FallenBake 2017-10.jpg (180.06 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Fallen likes bourbon. And books about weapons.

We made it to camp, and set about to organizing.

Of course, there was AJ's pico and guac, and PXATim's pickles.
FallenBake 2017-11.jpg
FallenBake 2017-11.jpg (122.65 KiB) Viewed 513 times
The River Militia arrived, and there was much revelry.

We didn't make it out to fish that night, but Fallen had it all planned out. He guaranteed AJ, PXATim and I fish the following morning. Big fish. On the first cast.
Last edited by skullion childs on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:04 pm

BGH? Who the fuck is BGH?

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:20 pm

If you notice, right above the book on statics and strengths of materials is another book, holding up the bourbon shelf. And BGH? He's the Mayor of Lewlville.
____________________________________________________________________________________
I love flyfishing so much I want it to die. -thalweg

Isn't it TIME?

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 pm

The First Annual River Militia Bake has now come to an end.

I only took one photo, and it sums up my experience more succinctly than anything I could write.

P8100568.JPG
P8100568.JPG (119.6 KiB) Viewed 498 times

That being said, I'll try to spell out the events that occurred to the best of my recollection, and if I get something wrong I trust that those who erred on the side of sobriety will correct me. There is a lot of material to cover, so please be patient..

I arrived in Cincinnati without a hitch, and after gathering my luggage I called pxatim, who was just pulling into the airport. He had skullion childs and fallen513 with him, and after loading up my gear we hit the road.

Travel can bring on an incredible thirst, and as soon as we hit the interstate it was decided that a safety meeting was in order. While travelling well over the legal speed limit, fallen513 took a photo of the four of us toasting tallboys. He may have even caught a partial image of the law enforcement vehicle we passed while smiling into the camera. We all started looking for someplace to ditch our beers while the cruiser eased out onto the highway and flipped on his lights. I'd nearly resigned myself to spending the night as a guest of the local penal system when the cruiser sped past us and then pulled off the highway behind one of his coworkers and a car that had come to an unfortunate end. I didn't know it at the time, but we'd all just taken our first step onto a greased ledge of exhilaration, and as the days progressed we pushed to see how high we could walk above the abyss of potential disaster.

We continued driving until we reached a large outdoor beach-volleyball complex with an attached bar and restaurant, where we met up with Palometa and a friend of fallen's. After dinner and drinks we stopped by a liquor barn, and after getting kicked out of the liquor barn we headed to fallen's friend's house. The plan was to stay there that night and then head out early and fish the next morning.

My memory of what happened next is kind of fuzzy, but I believe it involved too much alcohol, some wrestling, and me being told to "Fuck right off back to wherever the hell you came from." This was my first exposure to Southern Hospitality, and it wasn't quite what I expected. I've never been one to stay where I'm not wanted, and considered sleeping in the truck, getting a motel, or going back to the airport. Skullion childs (often the only voice of reason during the days that followed) somehow managed to diffuse the situation, and the next morning I woke up feeling fresh and ready to face the day. I'm not sure the same can be said for some of the others.

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:59 pm

we don't wear gloves when we prepare food in austria.

we must be cleaner, hey.
you dirty fucking sepps.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:01 pm

No need to prepare food when you can't be bothered to eat it.

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:11 pm

4 star Caesars, peasant.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Isn't it TIME?

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:11 pm

"I umm... I ate on the plane, hey. but cheers anyway."

you're missing the best of these trips on facesook.

but if you complain about it you have to blow mike.
which makes sense I suppose.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

fallen513

Post by fallen513 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:20 pm

Rockymtnhigh dazzling the locals with his singlehanded snake roll demo.
IMG_2559.JPG
IMG_2559.JPG (625.32 KiB) Viewed 476 times

Isn't it TIME?

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:22 am

fallen513 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:20 pm
And BGH? He's the Mayor of Lewlville.
Did I meet him? Doesn't ring a bell. Is he the one who died?

skullion childs

Post by skullion childs » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 am

Friday.

The alarm on my mobile phone went off at 4:45. I have no idea when I went to bed, but it wasn't that long before.

I dragged my ass out of my tent and set to making coffee. Once the water was on the stove and the coffeepots prepped, I went to wake up pxatim. He was already awake.

Once the coffee was prepped, things began to become a little more clear. Although not much, because I poured it into my kleen kanteen, and coudn't drink it for an hour because it was too hot.

Others woke up and started lumbering around. Jeremy, our #rivermilitia guide, showed up to take us to the secret spot. "Best chance for big fish!" And he was quite specific: he named the exact time to the minute that the fish would appear. We headed out, but not before Fallen could hit us with the jinx: "First cast, doods!"

We made it to the secret spot. This sign wasn't there, but it works with the narrative, so there you go.
FallenBake 2017-14.jpg
FallenBake 2017-14.jpg (186.37 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Jeremy was a great host. He had stayed my place during the Rust Belt nonbake, so we knew each other already. He couldn't have been more hospitable, and did everything he could to put us on fish.

He wasn't more powerful than the FallenHex, though.

Here he is trying out my 9/10 wt.
FallenBake 2017-12.jpg
FallenBake 2017-12.jpg (224.45 KiB) Viewed 430 times
It's a Fenwick 9'3 9/10 weight, paired with an old Pfleuger 1495. I'm not sure if Jeremy was more excited to put me on a fish or to watch that setup explode on a big one. I know that was the case for Fallen the previous day.

Didn't get to see that, though.

Jeremy pointed to a 1x3' spot of water. "That's where the fish will bust. Put the fly two inches from the rocks." So that's what I did. And it worked well for an hour or so, and then of course I hooked a rock.

So I was retying when the fish busted, right in the little square of water that Jeremy had pointed out. I think Jeremy was two minutes off in his time estimate, but I hadn't been paying attention.

I was pretty chill about it at the time, because I figured, "Okay, here it comes! It's starting." But no, that was my shot.

I think pxatim saw some fish, but I was focused on casting back to my little, not-boiling, little box hoping vainly for another shot.

We moved to a different spot, where West Chester had scored that morning (with fish, not kayakers), but that was played. "Go there and cast out as far as you can." Pxatim is good at that.
FallenBake 2017-13.jpg
FallenBake 2017-13.jpg (208.65 KiB) Viewed 430 times
So we went back and putzed around camp until we'd head out again that evening.

River Militia:
FallenBake 2017-15.jpg
FallenBake 2017-15.jpg (294.1 KiB) Viewed 430 times
[A side note about the pile.

So the camp belongs to the boss of one of the #rivermilitia folks. I had no idea what to expect -- I tried to check it out on Google Earth, but there wasn't anything there. But it turned out that I was looking in the wrong spot, and it was quite surprisingly nice. It was a huge cleared circle, at the end of a long road through the woods. The circle was ringed with old travel trailers, parked on blocks and musty as hell inside. There was a shitter, electricity, and a tin shelter with picnic tables. Plenty of shady spots for our tents, and even a river a short walk away.

That the river was popular with kayakers may be important later.

There was also a huge, I mean huge, pile of scrap wood and garbage in the center. Lots of pallets, nailey wood, old playhouses, and even furniture.

"Feel free to take wood from that to burn" says the guy associated with the camp who showed up the day before. "Hell, burn the whole thing."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, seriously."

It'd burn.]

So AJ was doing his best to help. He'd do more later.

This is a piece of a shed or playhouse or something that Joe dragged over to the fire.
FallenBake 2017-16.jpg
FallenBake 2017-16.jpg (288.34 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Camp life, with banjo:

FallenBake 2017-17.jpg
FallenBake 2017-17.jpg (272.4 KiB) Viewed 430 times
FallenBake 2017-18.jpg
FallenBake 2017-18.jpg (237.86 KiB) Viewed 430 times
FallenBake 2017-19.jpg
FallenBake 2017-19.jpg (228.36 KiB) Viewed 430 times
next: evening fishing and dinner.