So you want to own a flyshop?

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Rich Farino

Re: So you want to own a flyshop?

Post by Rich Farino » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:51 am

stillsteamin wrote:I would eat those pork belly bao's until I was a bloated corpse.

Are your quick pickles just sugar and rice vinegar?
I just did the 3:1 sugar:salt version but I like the rice wine vinegar better. The acid helps cut the fat of the pork belly and sweet of the hoisin better.

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:41 am

Geez! Think I gained 10 pounds just looking at the food pics!

fly-chucker

Post by fly-chucker » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:57 am

ho lee fuk :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

jessnuts

Post by jessnuts » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:43 am

Keep it coming, Rich.

:cool
The River is Why.

Nemeth

Post by Nemeth » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:43 pm

I was so proud of myself for making Pizza Pot Pie like they did on the food network, then I saw this thread. I can't cook for shit....
"They'd tow their canoe up to the top of the island and the more it wobbled, the better endowed their firstborn son would be... Old river people tradition." - D-Nymph

skullion childs

Post by skullion childs » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:12 pm

I think there should be an Iron Chef Bake.

flashback

Post by flashback » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:22 pm

We'll have to invent some form of bake to bring Rich up this way.
This is one of the best threads ever.

Long Haired Dave

Post by Long Haired Dave » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:14 am

I just figured out how to log in for the first time in forever, been following this thread, damn, that food... I sort of consider myself a sheltered, burgeoning foodie and I don't know what 2/3 of that stuff is but it looks AMAZING.
My best efforts at casting looked like a retard skipping rope.

--Redchaser

Rich Farino

Post by Rich Farino » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 am

September 4th, 2016

End of summer trout fishing makes me smile. I relish the early morning dew that blends into hazy days that echo with life. I especially like it in a small private spring creek about 45 minutes outside of DC, because I'm the only person allowed to fish it. Sometimes having a guides license, an insurance policy, and a willingness to sign a release of liability helps, although I question my sound judgement when I know there are armed guards patrolling the property.
springcreek.jpg
springcreek.jpg (215.61 KiB) Viewed 772 times
The real blessing is this little creek was stocked sometime in the 1940's at some point, and never stocked again. Lots of little wild rainbows. I arranged to have Virginia fish & game electroshock a few years back and they estimated they'd shock up about 60 fish. We wound up counting 227 fish in the little spring that's barely 1/2 mile long.
springcreek1.jpg
springcreek1.jpg (182.04 KiB) Viewed 772 times
springcreek2.jpg
springcreek2.jpg (192.74 KiB) Viewed 772 times
I was thankful for my time on the water and pulled some trash off the property with me as I headed out. As it got later in the day, the chatter of summer's friend droned on, and it's pretty relaxing, and a nap with the windows open was in order.
cicada.jpg
cicada.jpg (229.96 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Red sky at night, sailor's delight...
redsky.jpg
redsky.jpg (205.6 KiB) Viewed 772 times

September 11th, 2016

I still lived in NYC when 9/11 happened, and I remember exactly where I was, what I was doing, and who I was with when it happened. I remember my jaw dropping and not knowing what to say or think while I watched it all unfold. My neighbor was a captain in the FDNY and was on vacation when it happened and was called in. He worked a week straight at ground zero, and then on and off for over a month. He wound up breathing in some of the shit air and 10 years later he died from Mesothelioma.

All gave some. Some gave all.
911.jpg
911.jpg (47.1 KiB) Viewed 772 times

September 16th 2016

Made a trip to TU headquarters here in Virginia. Awesome office and the folks there have a great view of downtown DC.
tuoffice.jpg
tuoffice.jpg (191.7 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Was invited to a beer social with Sweetwater Brewing bottles in the cooler. Was hoping the win the cooler but they didn't raffle that off.
sweetwater.jpg
sweetwater.jpg (233 KiB) Viewed 772 times

September 19th, 2016

I decided to reach out to my customers and get them to tell me where I should put my shop. It was a small, 1 minute survey that let people suggest where I should build out a shop and what their reasoning was behind their opinion. I also asked about their shopping habits, when they shop, and how they shop for their fly fishing gear.
survey.jpg
survey.jpg (128.16 KiB) Viewed 772 times
I got over 150 replies.
Last edited by Rich Farino on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rich Farino

Post by Rich Farino » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:51 am

October 7th, 2016

Just found out the kid who sat in front of me in high school passed away in his sleep. After I graduated I'd see him working at Tower Records, and he always had a good album to recommend I listen to. He was an awesome photographer, and left behind a wife and friends that miss him dearly. I need to take more time to visit old friends and catch up when I can in person.

October 9th, 2016

So my beautiful fiancee was talking with her cousin from Boston last March, and he mentioned he was running the Boston half marathon, and he wanted to enter her and her brother in the lottery to run. She basically thought there was a slim chance to actually be selected, and lo and behold, all 3 of them got selected.

She decided to train with a friend who lives a few blocks away, running anywhere from 3 to 6 miles a day, maxing out with a big 10 miler every other weekend. She's come home exhausted, but eager to run. She has never run an event like this and it was a serious undertaking for a first timer. She decided to dedicate her run to her mother. Her determination was inspiring, and we traveled to Boston, and I would support her how I could.

And she finished in under 3 hours for her first ever run.

October 16th, 2016

I decided an important dealer summit for the fly fishing trade association would help me immensely in learning more about the industry I had decided i wanted to be in. I boarded a plane and headed to Bozeman to meet with industry folks, most of which I already knew, and attend a few seminars and roundtable discussions to broaden my horizons and see what other successful businesspeople were doing in the industry to make their shops work, and to grow the sport.
skies2.jpg
skies2.jpg (132.16 KiB) Viewed 763 times
skies.jpg
skies.jpg (204.47 KiB) Viewed 763 times
It was great to be back in the thick of the fly fishing industry, and really made me glad I came to the decision to open a shop. The clinics offered new insights to things I hadn't understood, things I hadn't thought of, and things I had misunderstood.
afftasummit.jpg
afftasummit.jpg (172.5 KiB) Viewed 763 times
I met some old friends and made new ones, ate some good food, and drank a few dranks, and then some.
simmsparty1.jpg
simmsparty1.jpg (171.45 KiB) Viewed 763 times
simmsparty2.jpg
simmsparty2.jpg (241.98 KiB) Viewed 763 times
Got a chance to see the new factory - I had been to the original shop a long time ago and became a fan of quality manufacturing. I had been in the garment industry when I first visiting Simms back in 2003 I think... it was great to see how far they've come and how large of a family they've grown to be.
simms1.jpg
simms1.jpg (131.49 KiB) Viewed 763 times
simms2.jpg
simms2.jpg (182.36 KiB) Viewed 763 times
I was invited to talk about how we were going to bring Simms into the new shop, and talk about my ideas on the direction I wanted my shop to head. I have a long standing relationship with a few of the folks there, and I respected their opinions and the success of their company. More on that later....
afftasummit2.jpg
afftasummit2.jpg (109.91 KiB) Viewed 763 times
endaffta.jpg
endaffta.jpg (133.27 KiB) Viewed 763 times

October 26th, 2016

My neighborhood has hidden artwork all over it in alleyways, side streets, light poles, crosswalks, and fences. This gem is on the side of brick townhouse with an exposed yard.
mural.jpg
mural.jpg (163.41 KiB) Viewed 763 times

October 30th, 2016

Tomorrow is Dia de Muertos (and also Halloween). I tried my hand at being artistic too. Came out nice, but that fat bastard squirrel from a few posts back got to it the following morning and ate the skeleton's face off.
pumpkin.jpg
pumpkin.jpg (126 KiB) Viewed 763 times

El General

Post by El General » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 am

Mas, por favor.

Rich Farino

Post by Rich Farino » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:50 am

November 7th, 2016

Took the time to head down to Jacksonville, FL to spend time with my folks, watch the Notre Dame/Navy game. I forgot how boring Navy's QB option was, even if it's effective. I also got to see some new places, experience new things, and catch up with a few old friends.
IMG_3603.JPG
Florida Gator
IMG_3603.JPG (43.39 KiB) Viewed 63 times
IMG_3623.JPG
Blue Angels
IMG_3623.JPG (60.42 KiB) Viewed 63 times
IMG_3640.JPG
Murika
IMG_3640.JPG (57.76 KiB) Viewed 63 times

Even made time to stop and see the Fly Fishing After Dark boys briefly, but only to kill some time and fish a little.
IMG_3645.JPG
FL Bass Search
IMG_3645.JPG (83.3 KiB) Viewed 63 times
IMG_3650.JPG
Keybilly is delish
IMG_3650.JPG (63.64 KiB) Viewed 63 times
December 5th, 2017

So while planning on ruining my perfectly okay life by opening a flyshop, I still have to pay the bills. I've been working a part time gig as an install helper for a door company. Even got the international sign of the working man down...
IMG_3692.JPG
International sign of the working man
IMG_3692.JPG (36.9 KiB) Viewed 63 times
IMG_3678.JPG
Door job 1
IMG_3678.JPG (31.28 KiB) Viewed 63 times
IMG_3691.JPG
Cut
IMG_3691.JPG (65.82 KiB) Viewed 63 times
IMG_3693.JPG
Finished
IMG_3693.JPG (37.28 KiB) Viewed 63 times

December 5th, 2017

I might have found the shop location...
IMG_3524.JPG
Shop Location
IMG_3524.JPG (37.95 KiB) Viewed 63 times
It's a real 5-star penthouse with amazing views
IMG_3745.JPG
Dream shop
IMG_3745.JPG (25.75 KiB) Viewed 63 times
IMG_3746.JPG
Dream Shop 2
IMG_3746.JPG (36.57 KiB) Viewed 63 times

December 8th, 2016

I invited a grand group of investors to a secure location to pitch my fly shop idea. I have some financially sound data and some money that I had to beg and borrow from to start this venture. I hand-chose a good group of guys to do this with - a tax attorney, a defense attorney, a fly tying company owner, a financial guru and lodge owner, an IT guy, and a marketing master. This was a carefully hand-picked team to give us the very best chance to survive and make a profit. I pitched my business idea for about 2.5 hours and everyone seemed excited.

December 9th, 2016

So between last nights sales pitch and 2pm this afternoon, I lost 3 investors who just aren't in a financial position to participate in making this happen. Over $150K of my dream disappeared, and I got knocked back to square 1.

I was installing a doors all day when I got the phone call on the ride back. My boss watched my attitude and face drop after I hung up the phone. I can't believe this was happening.

December 30th, 2016

My boss from the door job has been a real peach to work for. He's from Jersey, really likes to cook, and we had a lot to talk about. I figure I helped him with enough jobs to save him some $$, and he paid me cash each day to help. I learned a lot, got my hands dirty, and made a friend. He decided to get me a Christmas bonus... said I deserved it. Of course the box was loaded with tricky ways to make me not able to guess what it was...
IMG_3882.JPG
Trickster!
IMG_3882.JPG (71.55 KiB) Viewed 63 times
Bad ass Smithey Ironware cast iron. Holy fuck that's an amazing present...
IMG_3883.JPG
Christmas Bonus
IMG_3883.JPG (42.09 KiB) Viewed 63 times

More to come....