Therapy Gods

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
flashback

Therapy Gods

Post by flashback » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:25 pm

My wife does therapy dog work with one of our terriers, going to rest homes, acts as an airport greeter, helps with college students during exams and breaks, etc.
She's gotten a request from one of the colleges to help during and after Valentines Day for the students who may feel down because they didn't get a valentine or feel they're without love.
Besides the obvious humor, it would be interesting to see what some of the Drakians would do.
Maybe Mitch could bring a dingo.

Lando

Re: Therapy Gods

Post by Lando » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 pm

If my tombstone reads, "He never ate sushi." it won't be a lie, and I'll be OK with that.

~Average Joe

Spicytuna

Post by Spicytuna » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Order them a Tender account maybe.

Maybe Therapy hookers (Million $$$ idea) I'm going to be rich!!!
"In truth you can throw dries and swing flies and still be a loser. That would be an elite loser though.
Rare breed." - MTgrayling

"You guys know the Magic Hour???? Yeah it just happened I was there!!!" DK

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:05 am

flashback wrote:My wife does therapy dog work with one of our terriers, going to rest homes, acts as an airport greeter, helps with college students during exams and breaks, etc.
She's gotten a request from one of the colleges to help during and after Valentines Day for the students who may feel down because they didn't get a valentine or feel they're without love.
Besides the obvious humor, it would be interesting to see what some of the Drakians would do.
Maybe Mitch could bring a dingo.
Shit if not getting laid gets you a therapy dog, I should have a fucking kennel full.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:20 am

flashback wrote: Maybe Mitch could bring a dingo.
only if they're near full term. and even then we're rushing them.
flashback wrote:
gotten

come on, mate... try received.
you're like educated or some shit.

by the by... how much do you charge for veneers? and I mean like cash money. proper wonga. basement, garage... I'm not bothered. buffalo's a shithole in the park.
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

RaZ

Post by RaZ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:01 am

JFC, is this real? are kids that big of pussies these days? no date for valentines day? sounds sort of awesome.

go to the cafeteria for mixers, get some vladimir's vodka, then go to a titty bar.

$5 CDN
"Then let us know how that goes, you smug motherfucker"

Nevs

Post by Nevs » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:53 am

RaZ wrote:JFC, is this real? are kids that big of pussies these days? no date for valentines day? sounds sort of awesome.

go to the cafeteria for mixers, get some vladimir's vodka, then go to a titty bar.

$5 CDN
Yes, yes they are, but the bulk of it is a lot of parents.
Last Spring baseball season I had a kid (1st grader) swinging his participation medal like a fucking helicopter and broke it. His mom was pissed when I wouldn't order them another one "because it's a cheap crappy medal."

Fast forward 6 months: A city council member and I got into it at a park board meeting about getting rid of participation medals beginning in 3rd grade. He is for them, myself against. He stormed out when the bulk of the individuals agreed with me. It didn't help his case that he had a lot of "I feel that" in his argument and I brought sports psychology studies from journals as backup. Discussion was tabled..

Addition: my wife and I's dogs spend the day with my mother if we both have something after work or have to stay late. The oldest one goes to work with her. She is a home health physical therapist. When she knows they are coming over she rearranges her patients to have the ones she knows like him. He will sit on an old lady's lap for hours while she gets her work in. He gets a 4 piece grilled nugget from Chick-fil-a for lunch from her. Then she has no clue why he shits all funky for a couple days afterwords.

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:20 pm

RaZ wrote:are kids that big of pussies these days? $5 CDN
Seems entitlement is rife below your border. Y'all should really think about helping these whiny punes, otherwise they will move to Canada and fuck your shit up.
Send ZAR 265.00, poes :gun
knock up a shop owners daughter. drake dudes will send money.

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:47 pm

I confess, I find the therapy dog idea kinda weird. Are people that really in need of love? Or whatever?

And then I was visiting my folks last week. My dad is in full care and has some level of dementia associated with Parkinson's. I grew up in a non-dog family. A couple times we got saddled with dogs to my dad's regret, and it never worked out. And then of all things, he loves my dogs. All of them, every one.

So last week I'm sitting in my dad's "apartment" (listening to how with just a little modification, move a couple walls, we could ad a second floor, including another bedroom for WonderWoman and myself, as well as a kitchen), and the therapy dog comes walking by with his owner and the activities director. My pop lit up, said hello, introduced me, gave a few of his awkward pets like he's always done- someone who doesn't mind the idea of dogs, but maybe doesn't want to touch them. But kinda does.

He was really happy for a few minutes. Probably the only time while I was there over a few days.

So more power to you, your wife, and other people doing volunteer work. People have all kinds of needs I don't understand. Doesn't make them any less real for them.

The pandering helicopter parents I've no time for. :coffee
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

RaZ

Post by RaZ » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:00 pm

SLSS wrote:I confess, I find the therapy dog idea kinda weird. Are people that really in need of love? Or whatever?
they can serve a wonderful purpose. just not for college dorks who cant get laid. in college. and are sad about it. in college.

you know what, not dorks. cause even dorks get laid in college. speaking from experience? maybe
"Then let us know how that goes, you smug motherfucker"

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:29 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (69.15 KiB) Viewed 827 times
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

K_P

Post by K_P » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:41 pm

A couple of weeks ago, I learned that my application to get a therapy dog was approved.

I won't lie--I got a little weepy.

I won't lie about this either--I can fuck-up three-quarters of the membership of this sewer mano-a-mano.

Finally, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm betting half of you would win that contest, but with a price tag that you wouldn't want to pay. Do your own math.

Okay--fuck it--I've got the flu and I hurt like I've been beaten with a sack of hammers. It makes me grumpy.

[back on topic]

As a 7-12 grade counselor who is really, truly getting a therapy dog for my job, there are dozens of applications for this--grieving kids, kids who are fearful of being interviewed by the police or CPS caseworker, autistic kids, emotionally-disturbed kids, stressed kids. We'll be using her for reading and writing exercises with students with learning disabilities, and just having her around will brighten up the place.

But college kids who can't get laid? Puh-lease.
Last edited by K_P on Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.