A little Yellowstone help...

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Ruddy Duck

A little Yellowstone help...

Post by Ruddy Duck » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:41 pm

[report]All:

A weekend trip to Jackson with Princess for a wedding in late June has turned into a week long, family of 5 wallet drain, western style.

I will find myself in Yellowstone for three days with the family. Fishing will be a complete afterthought as no one else in my family is all that interested.

However, I don't think it is in my DNA to be there without a fly rod in tow. I own 4, 5 and 7 wt rods. I've got a 3, but it is a two piece and a pain to travel with. I'm, like, totally Salt Life, so my trout experience is comprised of only a few cold water trips.

Any advice, regardless of how elementary, is much appreciated. Feel free to issue Pro Tips or even send links to your favorite pages on the Orvis Learning Center. Tell me how far below the Thingamabober my zebra midge should sit. The only thing I ask is that some advice be geared toward kids in the 7 to 13 year old range. I'd love for them to have a little fun doing the fishings.

PM works if hotspotting is an issue.

A million thanks in advance,

Brett

Image[/report]

Kfoxwyo

Re: A little Yellowstone help...

Post by Kfoxwyo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:13 pm

Ruddy, not sure if you post up incentive or not...but I will respond when sober enough to provide some direction. As most with a heater on I would seek godly help and hit up the Pastor as I now think this is his home town...more to follow. Kfox
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

Juan es un pescado

Post by Juan es un pescado » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:08 am

We are sitting at 150-200% of average snowpack, this has been a crazy winter. More than likely, runoff is going to huge and in full raging mode in late June....

Palometa

Post by Palometa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:23 am

Juan es un pescado wrote:We are sitting at 150-200% of average snowpack, this has been a crazy winter. More than likely, runoff is going to huge and in full raging mode in late June....

True dat

You'll probably be able to fish Lewis Lake or go bonk come cutts on Jellystone Lake.
Protect WYDAHO fish & game, fence out Utah.

PastorBen

Post by PastorBen » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:28 am

Palometa wrote:
Juan es un pescado wrote:We are sitting at 150-200% of average snowpack, this has been a crazy winter. More than likely, runoff is going to huge and in full raging mode in late June....

True dat

You'll probably be able to fish Lewis Lake or go bonk come cutts on Jellystone Lake.
PM sent....
Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.

~ Robert Frost ~

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:20 am

Ruddy, One word of advice...learn to troutset!

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Ruddy, Clearly run off is going to affect your visit as other have noted. I would recommend a drive up along the Gros Ventre if nothing else it is a very scenic and beautiful out and back. The red hills and canyon provide great contrast. The road is slick when wet if open above the ranch. Clearly these were taken in the summer. ImageImageImage
That sign is not a joke, almost rolled my jeep there years ago..go by the hot springs in Kelley and see if one the locals are bed down, the kids will enjoy seeing a bison or two. If you get lucky and have some clean water Id recommend going to the North/East side of the Snake River bridge park at the dog walking area and walk north along the river, warning there will be a ton of dog shit for the first mile..walk until your tired or find braids of water off the main channel. Even without fish it is a pretty walk. I do not think any of this counts as hot spotting. As for the park, if you walk 15minutes away from any parking lot the crowd thins out by half the further you walk the fewer people. The Lamar Valley is breath taking, if you can borrow or find a spotting scope even better. It is unlikely that Bear Tooth Pass will be open but it is one of the prettiest places I have ever seen via car it is however a long drive. If you end up even flying into Bozeman all my gear is there in a storage unit there and your welcome to what ever you need. Image
The jeep is older and slow but if you have a need just let me know A friend of the Swamp Yeti is a friend of mine. Kfox
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:25 pm

This place does not suck.

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Is that Karl's place? Cts storage?

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:27 pm

Upsetter, my spot is technically in Belgrade. Who knew that Bozeman and the surrounding areas would change the way it has. I remember (barely) being kicked of the Zebra Bar years before the R Bar went up in flames. The charge for this storage unit is and has been for the last nine years,$49.00 a month and it is the best expense I have. Fly in with a lap top bag and that same day find myself on a river fishing camp fire and dinner and in a tent that night. Cant wait until May. Fuck me.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Yeah. Cts is in Belgrade. Just south of the flying j. I live near Belgrade too.

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Upsetter, in truth this is not the place you mentioned - that said if it were I am not sure that I would give the details of where a car and thousands of dollars worth of camping and fly fishing gear would live to the internet world. Maybe one trip this spring/summer I can buy you a beer and shot at the Hideaway, I usually have lunch there hit the grocery store and roll out of town.

Ruddy, anything I can do just ask away as your trip approaches. Kfox
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889