SE Alaska - TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
The Po Thead

SE Alaska - TR

Post by The Po Thead » Sun May 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Spring in Southeast Alaska has always been a special time in my mind. Life comes back to the land. The plants begin to bloom, the sooty grouse sit atop the largest Sitka Spruce and Hemlock and boom their mating calls. Migrating water fowl heading north briefly stop at estuaries and tidal flats to graze along side coastal brown bears, who themselves just awoke from a long winter sleep buried in snow caves in the alpine. As the snowpack begins to melt, and the spring rains fall, the creeks swell in size and the steelhead ride the tide through the estuary and into the watersheds. The rain forest is alive again, and that's what makes spring so wonderful.

Back in February, I rented a Forest Service cabin south of town for three nights in early May to celebrate 28 years on this planet. I've always enjoyed having a birthday at the beginning of May, because there will always be a chance the fish gods will let me catch a birthday steelhead.

With the cabin booked and paid for, we paused on planning until our departure got closer. My brother, his girlfriend, the wife and I ended up being the only ones who could make the time off. A few days before leaving, we started gathering gear, getting the costco shopping done (buying beer, booze, and meat in bulk...), and kept an eye on the weather and marine forecast. Despite this cabin being only a 30 minute boat ride away, it crosses a large area of open water that will make you think twice about going out if the water is rough.

A day before we leave, the marine forecast makes a change for the worse.

We hold on our early morning departure, and decide to try leaving in the afternoon in hopes that the weather will die down. Thankfully, it does. We loaded up the tank and set sail.

About 20 minutes into the ride, I can't help but think how pleasant the drive is, and how little we've gotten wet. We got hosed on the rest of the ride by wave spray and rain. We arrived at the back bay and anchored the skiff, then started the portage of gear and canoe to the creek.

With everything loaded (I'm pretty sure the kitchen sink is in there somewhere), I was elected by our four person democracy to pull the barge upriver...

About an hour later we're at the cabin. Still in waders from pulling our shit upriver, I decide to fish the boulder and cutbank in front of the cabin before it gets dark. I'm rewarded with a 10-12lb hen swung from the cutbank, no more than 200ft from the cabin. Life is good. The rest of the night is spent drinking beer and tequila around the fire.

Weather takes a pleasant turn and we get sunny skies. We wake up late, make bacon and eggs, and at some point late morning try fishing downstream of the cabin.

We head back to the cabin for grilled cheese with bacon and listen to some music in the sun.

Fueled by alcohol, food and thc, I grab a rod and walk upstream in flip flops to make a few casts at the boulder. I hook into and land a chrome buck with sea lice still attached. Again, no more than 200ft from the cabin.

Started the morning of Cinco De Mayo right.

And went for a walk to go beachcombing. Make sure when you wander away from the cabin, you have your brown bear deterrent, mimosa champagne, and Corona.

Made sure to keep the firewood stocked while there.

And after several awesome days, it was time to leave. Everything (including the kitchen sink) was thrown into the canoe, and we headed back to the skiff.

Happy spring everyone, and greetings from southeast Alaska.
Last edited by The Po Thead on Sun May 07, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fuck life is brutal, and the learning curve hard and unforgiving." - SLSS

fatman

Re: SE Alaska - TR

Post by fatman » Sun May 07, 2017 3:42 pm

fuk me. finer than frog hair. :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Sun May 07, 2017 4:30 pm

:cool Definitely did not suk!

McH

Post by McH » Sun May 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Thank you for sharing that!!
Brings back some unforgettable memories. And I distinctly remember devils club.

:cool
you know what i am a strong fan of..... fishing and not being a douche bag. - alteredstates

For fucks sake, its just fishing...it ain't that cool. - Vito

Who the fuck comes home from fishing EARLY? A guy that whipped deserves to get cheated on.- yard4sale

FredA

Post by FredA » Sun May 07, 2017 5:28 pm

I really look forward to your TR's man. Top shelf. :cool

The Wandering Blues

Post by The Wandering Blues » Sun May 07, 2017 6:55 pm

Que the applause..... And action!
"We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent...."
180 Degrees South

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Sun May 07, 2017 7:17 pm

This is better than Gar, even!

Snagly

Post by Snagly » Sun May 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Southeast Alaska in April and May is magic, but that cabin, the expert provisioning and a steelhead crick to yourselves . . . just about the best thing going as long as you don't chainsaw off a limb while in an altered state.

Looks like single handed action, too, which is doubly cool. What was your set-up?

Thanks for sharing a first-class write up and photos!
"You despise me, don't you?" Rick "If I gave you any thought I probably would."

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Sun May 07, 2017 9:08 pm

I was going to ask how the Kirkland shitquila was for hangovers, but remembered you've probably sampled the "Soldier's Choice" line of spirits from the Class 6 at some point.

solid reportage.
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

421sd

Post by 421sd » Sun May 07, 2017 9:09 pm

Sooty grouse hunting — I hear that's a thing.

This all has a pretty high score on the chart of propers. :bow

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Sun May 07, 2017 9:09 pm

out of all the places I've been this is one I'd like to get back to.

fuck france.
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Sun May 07, 2017 9:19 pm

austrotard wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 9:09 pm
out of all the places I've been this is one I'd like to get back to.
That part of the globe is known for serving up five star cappuccinos and Caesar salads, so I'm not surprised.