This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By flyfisheraa573
Since this post started, I have been thinking about my stance on the topic. Although I don't own a chest pack, I can see the convenience. When I was out in Wyoming, I wore a Kelty Lumbar Pack, which is a fancy name for a big bitch ass fanny bag. I liked the freedom and the fact that I stayed cool for the most part. The down side was everytime you wanted to get something, you had to dig around to find it. I like the vest because it keeps everything in its own place.I like the fishpond stuff that is kind of a cross between a zip up chest pack, vest, and back pack. I tend to overpack on everything, so it has a lot of room, the downside is that it would end up being heavy as hell.As for the downstream Chest luggage, presented above, the only thing I can say positive about it is that it will store under your seat on an airplane. One of the old owners of Choo Choo Fly Tackle tried to get me to buy an aluminum version of that thing. I bet it weighed 5-6 lbs empty.

<small>[ October 28, 2005, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: flyfisheraa573 ]</small>
By flyfisheraa573
a hermaphrodite....
By caddis
An important consideration is color be it chest pack or vest. I like the traditional tan or khaki because after a while it shows stains/dirt; but I also like the olive because after a while it starts to fade and will also take on the desired gonzo patina. I am presently using a Filson vest in olive color.I've got to say though that the burnt orange of the new Simms is kinda cool--I don't like the new age looking pockets though. (I wonder if chest packs come in pink?)What doesn't look good is something that is perfectly clean and new looking.
By Jed
Yesterday I went to Orvis to look at their chest or fanny packs. I wanted to find a simple large fanny pack to hold a few boxes of Saltwater flies and some tippets, clippers and "stuff". What I desired was one large pocket and one small pocket. What I saw at Orvis was comical.Their chest/ fanny pack had the following:n - A waist strap that was adjustable with padding to carry a heavy load. n - A flap to secure the waist straps when not in usen - Four micro adjustments on the waist strap to allow for fine tuningn - A large pocket on the main pouchn - A pocket inside this onen - A mesh holder with two compartments of leadersn - A Medium pocketn - Sholder Straps for making it into a chest packn - A velcro pouch to add on another pocketn - Shoulder straps to make the econd pouch its own vestn - mesh on the outside of that that did nothing except create a place for hooks to catchn - Two water bottle holdersn - Two water bottlesn - a built in GPS/Cell Phoneokay, they did not have the GPS/Cell Phone optionI asked the clerk and he did not even know what some of the "features" were for. I swear didn't they ever hear about simplicity? It just seems so overdone. The total weight of the bag itself was greater than the weight of all the items I hoped to put into the bag. The only thing I could say is it was reasonably priced ($79) with a 30% sale. After thinking about it for a while I decided not to buy it because the steamer on the cappiccino accessory did not produce enough bar of pressure.jed
By Smithhammer
Originally posted by Jed:n Yesterday I went to Orvis to look at their chest or fanny packs. I wanted to find a simple large fanny pack to hold a few boxes of Saltwater flies and some tippets, clippers and "stuff". What I desired was one large pocket and one small pocket....n After thinking about it for a while I decided not to buy it because the steamer on the cappiccino accessory did not produce enough bar of pressure.n jed
]LOL - I wonder why it was on sale? Probably most folks reacted to it the same way you did. I know I started this gear weenie thread, but I'm the first to admit the gear thing is getting way out of hand. I'm hoping the Fishpond pack lasts a looong time, and it looks like it will, because I'd much rather spend the money on Maker's and travel.Orvis does make a simple pack that I borrowed last season from a friend and I thought it worked pretty well, the "Safe Passage Mini-Pack:" http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choi ... 0&shop_id= It comes in two sizes, and is pretty inexpensive.
Friday Cheer Through Pics

I'm still lurking around. And the snow is melting[…]

Hah. You don’t get an answer while we&r[…]

If You’re Planning To Come To Montana

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpete[…]

Things That PISS Me Off!

jeff grosso. poor fucker.

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine