Bad Reads

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Rockyraccoon

Re: Bad Reads

Post by Rockyraccoon » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:51 am

I've never read Ames first book "true love and the woolly booger" so I can't offer much on it.However, his second book "A good life wasted" is a great read. Now this is coming from a guide and I imagine any other guides who've read it will feel the same. His stories are universal as I'm sure most guides who've been at it a while can relate to almost every chapter. Funny at times and a little overly poetic at others.....but a good read nonetheless.I'd have to agree on Geirech books being repetitive...and I've really had a hard time getting into them. They seem to work well beside the John, were your going to read for five to ten minutes at a time.......but any longer than that is too much.
Goo Goo Ga Choob!
Rocky Top Anglers

coolconman

Post by coolconman » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:01 pm

I really enjoyed "True Love and the Woolly Bugger". I also have to agree with Salty on the Greirarch law of diminishing returns. I loved the first one I read, and they've gotten less and less fantastic since then, mostly because they're all so similar. Anyway, I add [/img]oby Dick" to the bad reads. Not a fly-fishing book like some of the others being posted, but what a waste! The worst part is, if melville had just left out the encyclopedia on whales sections, it could have been a pretty good book and about 60% shorter.
"Hey man, I''m not a tree hugger......but if I see one with titties, Ima hump da shit out of it."n ~dutch(effin new guy)

D. Micus

Post by D. Micus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:08 pm

ok, now we have to fight a duel...moby dick and old man and the sea are the two best fishing books ever written...
Don''t get eliminated

tom

Post by tom » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:29 pm

I have to agree that gierarch kind of replays the same old story in most of his books, but I really did like "Fly fishing small streams" or something along those lines. It is slightly a little bit more how to and since I do a lot of small streaming, I really enjoyed it. I would imagine [/img]ood flies" is also along those lines. I didn't really like fly fishing with bamboo that much.moby dick sucks. (say that in a yoda voice :( )
I'm so old I remember when women had ear rings and men had tattoos~Lefty Kreh

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:42 pm

Originally posted by D. Micus:n ok, now we have to fight a duel...moby dick and old man and the sea are the two best fishing books ever written...
I'll agree with Old Man and the Sea, but Melville's corpse should be exhumed, reanimated and then beate
back to death with acetone-soaked copies of Moby Dick, set ablaze and then re-buried under copies of The Grapes of Wrath for good measure.From <a href="http://rinkworks.com/bookaminute/classi ... k-A-Minute Classics</a> (ultra-condensed):Ishmael: Call me Ishmael. Captain Ahab: Crew, we will seek the white whale and kill it, because I am insane. Crew: Alas, your destructive obsession will be our undoing. (They almost find the white whale. Then they almost find the white whale. Then they find it.)Captain Ahab: I stab at thee. I stab at thee. (Everybody dies except Ishmael, although this is no surprise, because it was foreshadowed CONTINUALLY from the BEGINNING.)THE ENDA duel, eh? Pistols at ten paces?
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish

tom

Post by tom » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:45 pm

nice link-I have a 6 page essay due tommorrow morning on the three musketeers. It wasn't in there so I guess I'll have to read it

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:49 pm

Originally posted by Dave L:n I'll agree with Old Man and the Sea, but Melville's corpse should be exhumed, reanimated and then beate
back to death with acetone-soaked copies of Moby Dick, set ablaze and then re-buried under copies of The Grapes of Wrath for good measure.
[/QB]
ROTFLMAO! Can Gregory Peck's portrayal of Ahab get thrown on the pyre while we're at it? ARRRGGHH... Image
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

FliesOnly

Post by FliesOnly » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:53 pm

Dave L, I feel as you do about Melville as I was FORCED to read the Grapes of Wrath and Moby Dick in school and I think that may be why I am so twisted...
"yeah go and catch that big one over there, while i twist up another hooter. don''t fuck around too long though lunch is in 15 minutes and then it''s nap time."n ~Ginseng Sullivan "Guiding the private water"

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:01 pm

Originally posted by tom:n I have a 6 page essay due tommorrow morning on the three musketeers. It wasn't in there so I guess I'll have to read it
Here's an idea. Dumas was paid by the word, so fill your essay with stuff like "The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas, is a large novel with many words which is filled to the brim with intrigue, adventure and romance that is rarely, if ever, encounted in contemporary fiction, and it was very popular during the nineteenth century. It involves plots and sub-plots in which one person or a group of people are involved in elaborate plots or schemes of one nature or another. There is also a good deal of swaggering, bantering, bragging, bravado, exaggeration and grisly death. Did I mention swaggering? Now I will tell you about swaggering, because you have been waiting for nothing else for ten minutes." When you get your failing grade, complain loudly that it was a "pastiche", and then slap the professor with a glove.
Buster Wants To Fish

tom

Post by tom » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:02 pm

I don't think this affects the suckiness level at all, but I thought John Steinbeck wrote Grapes of Wrath.While I'm on Steinbeck I hated the Pearl and Of Mice and Men, being forced to read them in school

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:04 pm

Originally posted by FliesOnly:n Dave L, I feel as you do about Melville as I was FORCED to read the Grapes of Wrath and Moby Dick in school and I think that may be why I am so twisted...
Well, Grapes of Wrath was Steinbeck, but it was so scalp-rendingly tedious that I can't help but lump it in with Moby Dick. Also most Faulkner (take that, southerners).
Buster Wants To Fish

tom

Post by tom » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:06 pm

Dave L.-I would, but I think I am failing enough classes already. Basically, I am beginning to resign my life to that of a commercial fly tyer-slow/stop road sign guy.