Bad Reads

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
FliesOnly

Re: Bad Reads

Post by FliesOnly » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:10 pm

Dave, you are right....maybe that is why I am here on this board and not faol :cool:
"yeah go and catch that big one over there, while i twist up another hooter. don''t fuck around too long though lunch is in 15 minutes and then it''s nap time."n ~Ginseng Sullivan "Guiding the private water"

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:13 pm

Tom - don't think of it as "resigning" so much as liberating. Between "Stop/Slow" and batches of buggers, I'd imagine you'd make a respectable living, no?, And have plenty of time to fish. As well as plenty of time to contribute to this vile, online brothel, of course. There are worse things you could be, like a writer, for example. :(
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

coolconman

Post by coolconman » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:23 pm

Micus, I'll give you the old man, I liked that one alot, but I cannot in good conscience let you defend Moby Dick. Reading it, you get the feeling that he started with good intentions and screwed it up. He took a story that coulda been awesome...you got a suicidal captain, a cannibalistic savage, a giant murdering whale, adventure on the high seas. And then melville got drunk and starting rambling on about the anatomy of whales, the history of whaling, etc.It is my opinion that some of these classic books are only read because everybody talks about how good they are, but people only think they're good because it's a classic. That's why people decide these old books are so full of metaphors and lessons, because that's the only way they can make it worth reading.
"Hey man, I''m not a tree hugger......but if I see one with titties, Ima hump da shit out of it."n ~dutch(effin new guy)

tom

Post by tom » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:24 pm

thought about writing, but not for me.n I read the fly shop guy thing in the humor section and thought it was funny, but to western to be me.n Being a slacker doesn't bother me (I go to a community college) but I think it may bother my parents who still have hopes and dreams.I am looking forward to staying around here and hope this place grows with time
I'm so old I remember when women had ear rings and men had tattoos~Lefty Kreh

D. Micus

Post by D. Micus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:30 pm

great literature is like great sex--you will never appreciate it in high school...
Don''t get eliminated

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:26 pm

Originally posted by D. Micus:n great literature is like great sex--you will never appreciate it in high school...
Oh no you don't. You don't get to slide away from this mess you've made with nothing but a flip quip. Tell us why you think Moby Dick is the super awesome big fishing tome of awesomeness, and why you want Dave Ames to get hit by a bus. Let's have it. Put it out there. I think you're a skulker and a scoundrel. Do you think I could buy back my introduction to you?n Image
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish

WT

Post by WT » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:47 pm

Originally posted by hotspur:n At the risk of being smitten from this board (and perhaps the earth), could we put Gierach on this list? He has written the same story over and over again for the past ten years: formulaic dimestore wisdom with buddy bonding thrown in. Now if we go back to his beginnings and let him wax over things like Camp Coffee, then there's something to it. My hypothesis: he has made too much easy money. Some real talents have sold out, but they didn't do it with their writing. (Jim Harrison hawks luggage for Orvis; David Foster Wallace caught Frank(?) Conroy writing brochures for cruise lines. Neither of these guys got sucked into the Part II syndrome: 'People bought that last one; hell, they'll buy this one, too...')Oh, and since you all hate me now, we can add anything James Prosek has written to the list of Bad Reads.
I just re-read "Trout Bum". Geirach is (for a fact) the best writer of narrative essays in fly fishing. Ever.n Gierach's writing is to fly fishing literature what comfort food is to cuisine. Chili mac is just chili mac but sometimes it's damn good. Mmmmm chili mac.n WT

hotspur

Post by hotspur » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:11 pm

I could be wrong, but I think TROUT BUM is one of Gierach's early works--which I didn't pan. "Camp Coffee" might even be part of that collection.But in the category of Greatest Narrative Essayist I dunno if Mr. Gierach can hold a candle to Mr. McGuane. McGuane once said in an interview that what was wrong with outdoor writers is that most are only interested in showing they're smarter than the reader. Gierach gets over his ego. He's genuine, sincere. And for that the reader loves him. But when I read Gierach, I'm reading about fishing. When I read McGuane (the few essays he has penned), I am reading about so much more. And look how many books Gierach has written. 50? Come on. Only Joyce Carol Oates can get away with being that prolific, and even her peers generally acknowledge she's taking dictation from God. Too bad He never talked to her about fishing.

<small>[ November 29, 2005, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: hotspur ]</small>

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:18 pm

Tom - congratulations! This comes from someone who recently announced to the powers that be (including the little lady) that I would be leaving a perfectly lucrative position in academia running a research lab to work for myself, partially because the new business doesn't run during the winter months, and in the south the rivers dont freeze over...though I might. Speaking of in the south, Faulkner is fair game, possibly also Wolfe. But the "Williams Boys" (that would be Hank and Tennesee, just like in a song) and Hemingway we are a little protective of. :( I know, I know....you cant actually listen to Hank Williams, etc, etc and Hemingway, how cliche...hey we take drinking, fishing, and personal demons seriously ;) thanks,n befuddled
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

WT

Post by WT » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:28 am

Originally posted by hotspur:n I could be wrong, but I think TROUT BUM is one of Gierach's early works--which I didn't pan. "Camp Coffee" might even be part of that collection.But in the category of Greatest Narrative Essayist I dunno if Mr. Gierach can hold a candle to Mr. McGuane. McGuane once said in an interview that what was wrong with outdoor writers is that most are only interested in showing they're smarter than the reader. Gierach gets over his ego. He's genuine, sincere. And for that the reader loves him. n But when I read Gierach, I'm reading about fishing. When I read McGuane (the few essays he has penned), I am reading about so much more. And look how many books Gierach has written. 50? Come on. Only Joyce Carol Oates can get away with being that prolific, and even her peers generally acknowledge she's taking dictation from God. Too bad He never talked to her about fishing.
I dont think that the two really compare. McGuane's stuff is a little more serious somehow, not as fun as Gierach. n If I want to be impressed with some great writing I'll read from McGuane's "The Longest Silence."n If I just want to get through a hangover I'll pick up Gierach.n WT

Jed

Post by Jed » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:53 am

Micus,n I will be your second in the duel about Moby and Old Man. Any book about dick should be good. But I will only be your second so that I can duel you myself 'caus I liked Fly Fishing Through Midlife Crisis by Howell Raines. As for the 41st parallel... Not really worth reading.I have just started Roger Stouff's book Native Waters which is partially a fishing book and so far so good. I'll let you know more once I've finished it.jed

D. Micus

Post by D. Micus » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:11 am

Dave L, i am a skulker and a scoundrel, and worse, but i truly believe moby dick to be the great american novel. please, humor me and read http://stripersurf.com/micus_1.htmlas far as ames, the writing just wasn't very interesting, he doesn't have a real command of the language, and the theme seemed to be "look at me, i'm a cool fishing guide!" and the ghost story was preposterous...
Don''t get eliminated