I need a good fishing read

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
coolconman

Re: I need a good fishing read

Post by coolconman » Fri May 19, 2006 4:44 pm

I'll send you $3 for a copy, we can cut out those greedy publisher middle me
:D

<small>[ May 19, 2006, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: coolconman ]</small>
"Hey man, I''m not a tree hugger......but if I see one with titties, Ima hump da shit out of it."n ~dutch(effin new guy)

cabasturd

Post by cabasturd » Fri May 19, 2006 6:37 pm

CCMan,Hang in there for 6 months. You'll be able to get it for that amount in the leftovers pile.Until then, full freight. Or when the Almighty Amazon decides, as the English would say, to make our book redundant and prices it lower than cat food.

Stormcrow

Post by Stormcrow » Sun May 21, 2006 9:03 am

"A Good Life Wasted" by Dave Ames is the second book after "True Love and the Wolly Bugger" and it is pretty good. I especially like the lady flyfisher who paited her fingernails to match the hatch.
Life''s goal is not to die and leave a beautiful corpse, but rather to slide into the grave sideways shouting..."HOLY SHIT WHAT A RIDE"...Quote from some old lady in Seattle.

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Sun May 21, 2006 9:39 am

i would have to somewhat biasedly recommend Jerry Kustich's two books, the first is at the river's edge and the second is a wisp in the wind. both are short stories revolving around fishing and bamboo rods. Jerry formerly worked for Winston in the bamboo shop and is an all around great guy, fantastic writer and a good friend as well. the longest running fish bum i can think of. the books can be found here www.westriverpub.com which is Rick Kustich's publishing house in Grand Island NY surrounded by the Niagara river. check them out.

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun May 21, 2006 10:56 am

Outside Chance by Tom McGuaneAngler's Coast by Russell Chatham

tarpon slime sunscreen

Post by tarpon slime sunscreen » Sun May 21, 2006 4:04 pm

It's amazing that no one has suggested the good but deceased doctor HUnter S Thompson (and I know there are some Coloradians on here).Another outlandish writer that Drakians should enjoy is Tom Dorsey, but his stuff isn't about fishing. Sex, drugs, rock & roll, and goofy Florida trivia.Check out John Holt's [/img]uide Wars".Also, E. Donnall Thomas Jr's two manuals "Whitefish Can't Jump" and "Dream Fish and Road Trips".If you want to read stuff by an olf fishing guide but not necessarily about fishing read any of Randy Wayne White's book.
''He seeks drama, a simplified understanding of an impossibly complex subject, and of course cheap laughs.'' D. Quammen

tarpon slime sunscreen

Post by tarpon slime sunscreen » Sun May 21, 2006 4:17 pm

Just thought of another the sick minds on this board might enjoy - "Zipping My Fly" by Rich Tosches.But then on second thought (or this might actually be my third thought for today, I lose count lately), screw reading and just drink more tequila. A nice caballito of El Charro por favor to watch the sun set by.
''He seeks drama, a simplified understanding of an impossibly complex subject, and of course cheap laughs.'' D. Quammen

trouthound

Post by trouthound » Sun May 21, 2006 9:06 pm

I second "A Good Life Wasted", I read that last summer and it still cracks me up to recall parts of it.
The lord chooses the good ones...the bad ones choose the lord

flashback

Post by flashback » Tue May 23, 2006 8:26 pm

I agree with GS, both of Jerry Kustich's books are excellent, also try Jim Harrison. Another author is Paul Quinnett (Pavlov's Trout, Darwin's Bass and Fishing Lessons.

KemoSabe

Post by KemoSabe » Tue May 23, 2006 9:10 pm

The Spine Of Time and The Earth Is Enough By Middleton are pretty good. I think Pruitt Press Publishes them. Wisdom of the Guides is a interesting series of interviews with some well known guides.

<small>[ May 23, 2006, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: KemoSabe ]</small>

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Wed May 24, 2006 6:57 pm

Harry PowerBait and the Bloodworm PrinceorRedfish, Bluefish, Drunkguide, Mulletdied
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

whaley

Post by whaley » Wed May 24, 2006 7:08 pm

What's y'alls take on Prosek's book, "Fly Fishing the 41st parrallel?? I'm about half way through. Good stuff, a vicarious read, but I guess they all are. amenp.s. watching Feeding Time for the 299040 time is way better than reading...

<small>[ May 24, 2006, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: whaley ]</small>
"where''d ya learn those junkyard strokes my brotha?"