Another Reef Poll- Today's Topic- River Runs Through It

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Reef Runner

Another Reef Poll- Today's Topic- River Runs Through It

Post by Reef Runner » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:30 am

I have seen that the majority hates this movie- I would like to know why. Your reasoning for hating the movie?

Jackie Treehorn

Re: Another Reef Poll- Today's Topic- River Runs Through It

Post by Jackie Treehorn » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:40 am

oh why the fuck do i keep clicking on any thread started by reef or sav?go ahead and get your SORC status so this shit can stop and you can shut the fuck up
"OMG...I just checked it out. That Drake forum is the "Dumb and and Dumber meets Don Rickles and marries Charles Manson. Now I know what became of those kids who drew all the dirty words and pictures on the bathroom walls." - member of the Winston Forum

Reef Runner

Post by Reef Runner » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:44 am

Sav brings nothing to the table. Least I have a little humor. A little.Oh- almost forgot- 426.

nofoolin

Post by nofoolin » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:00 am

Lets be honest. I'm not saying the movie is either bad or good, but why bother with the movie when you could read the book?
"Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves." -Roman Moroni

Kylemc

Post by Kylemc » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:08 am

Sum off uz kant reed!
Fukker!!
Kyle
"And sometimes both is required. We; the three of us were rather like the willow. Nothing broke us...Fucking Nothing..."

I forgot the rest.... your mom is a whore...WB25

Wingnut

Post by Wingnut » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:40 am

Wait, there was closed caption/subtitles in the movie?! Hell, I might have to watch it after all.
Where can I buy some wanderlust?

dudley

Post by dudley » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:18 pm

Pre-movie there was a $500 ceiling on the price of plastic rods that no manufacturer dared cross.n Post-movie... the sky's the limit.n The movie brought in a new breed of "angler" with more disposible income than brainsn A lot of those "anglers" have washed out, and so have the fly shops that opened to cater to them.n But the mentality that you need high end gear just to catch a friggin' fish remainsJust sayin'

capt_gordon

Post by capt_gordon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:50 pm

The book roolz. The movie is pretty good. Some good examples of the film making art and ok acting. Pitt had not reached his stride yet (that would come in Fight Club in which he is awesome), Sheffer isn't that good but Skerritt steals every scene he is in.("Looks like the Lord has blessed us all today...just that he has been especially kind... to me.")
Look,it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:40 pm

Good book. Fairly good film that had some unfortunate side effects. I blame the movie itself less than I blame the dolts who saw it and somehow came to the conclusion that flyfishing the American West was a suitable way to show off their affluence.
"unsalvageably incoherent"

Ursus

Post by Ursus » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:48 pm

I find it odd that people flocked to the streams after watching "the movie". It wasn't about fishing. It was about families, brothers, love and beauty. It was one of the most cinematically breath-taking films of that time. I can still remember sitting in that theatre with tears running down my face - almost from the very beginning - simply because it was so beautiful.
The first rule of holes: when you''re in one, stop digging. n - Molly Ivins -

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:52 pm

I think the book is excellent, and not because of anything to do with fly fishing really, it's just an amazingly well-written book of pain and loss and the complicated nature of families.
n As far as the movie spawning poseurs - I don't really care about anyone who ran out and bought their little fly fishing outfit after seeing A River Runs Through It anymore than I get pissed off at kids who want superhero Underoos after watching Batman. That movie came out what, like 10 years ago?
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

Deerhawk

Post by Deerhawk » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:32 pm

The book was great. Whether the movie did the book justice... movies are usually just a shadow of what the writer is trying to portray, sadly. I always liked the movie, thought it was well done. I watch it often, along with Dirty Harry and the Preacher, Buggs and Elmer, The Shining, and various other classics. I like good acting.
Take a powder shithead... this is MY spot!
Proud Member of the Hook and Bullet Generation