Another Reef Poll- Today's Topic- River Runs Through It

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Smithhammer

Re: Another Reef Poll- Today's Topic- River Runs Through It

Post by Smithhammer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:32 pm

Btw, do you guys have any recommendations for nutritious streamside snacks?
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

Deerhawk

Post by Deerhawk » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:39 pm

Bro Hama,n You kick it man, fuckin classic! :cool: lol
Take a powder shithead... this is MY spot!
Proud Member of the Hook and Bullet Generation

Geezer

Post by Geezer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:44 pm

Smithhammer wrote
Btw, do you guys have any recommendations for nutritious streamside snacks?
A Gourmet Picnic Menu This Gourmet Picnic Menu will be portable, which is very important. It has two salads so you don't need more than forks and serving spoons. It's the height of tomato season, so I must insist that the starter uses them. Find the freshest basil possible; as well as, the perfect Brie. Dessert will be a bar cookie. When in doubt you can never go wrong with a bar cookie. They are so easy to make. The salads are two different tastes but go well together. Do everything in advance.A Gourmet Picnic Menuserves 8Tomato Basil and Brie Spread with French Bread SlicesSpanish Shrimp and Rice SaladChicken Salad with Green FruitRaspberry Crumb Bars Tomato Basil and Brie Spread:4 ripe large tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes1 lb Brie, rind removed, cheese cut into pieces1-cup fresh basil leaves, cut into strips3 cloves garlic, finely minced2/3-cup olive oil1-teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepperCombine all ingredients and let sit for 2 hours at room temperature at least 2 hours. Serve with slices of French bread at room temperature so the Brie will spread.Spanish Shrimp and Rice Salad:1/4-cup olive oil12 scallions, green tops included, thinly sliced1 scant teaspoon saffron2 cups raw rice1-1/2 teaspoons salt4 cups chicken broth1 LB medium shrimp, peeled and deveined1/4 LB salami or pepperoni, cut into julienne1/2 LB prosciutto thinly sliced1 green pepper, cut into julienne1 red pepper, cut into julienne1/2 cup chopped parsleySalt3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepperHeat oil in a heavy pot. Add scallions and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes or until wilted. Add saffron and cook 2 minutes longer. Add the rice and stir, coating grains well with the oil. Season with salt and pour in the chicken stock and stir. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until the rice is done and the liquid has been absorbed. Let cool.Meanwhile bring 2 quarts of water to a boil and add the shrimp. Immediately remove from the heat and cover and let stand for 2 minutes. Drain shrimp and reserve them. Transfer the rice to a large bowl, and add the shrimp, sausage, prosciutto, red and green peppers, parsley, salt to taste and pepper. Toss thoroughly and serve at room temperature.Chicken Salad with Green Fruit:3 LB boneless, skinless chicken breasts1-cup heavy cream2 cups honeydew melon balls (or chunks if you dare)2 cups cucumber balls (leave green skin on)2 cups green grapes-split1 cup blanched sliced almonds1-1/2 teaspoons black pepper1-teaspoon saltGrated zest of 1 lemon1/2 cup chopped fresh dill1 cup lemon mayonnaise (recipe follows)Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange chicken in a single layer in a large baking pan. Spread evenly with the cream and bake until done to your taste, about 25 minutes. Cool completely in the cream then remove the chicken and shred it into bite size pieces. Combine with the rest of ingredients and toss to mix. Serve chilled.Lemon Mayonnaise:2 eggs2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice2 tablespoons Dijon mustard1 1/2 cups mild olive oil1-cup vegetable oil2 teaspoons dried tarragon1-teaspoon saltPinch white pepperGrated zest of 1 large lemonPlace the eggs, vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard in a food processor and process for 15 seconds. With the machine running add the oils in a thin, steady stream. Remove to a bowl and stir in the tarragon, salt, pepper, and lemon zest.Raspberry Crumb Squares:Crust:2 cups butter, melted4 cups flourFilling:1 1/4 cups raspberry preserves, beaten smooth with a spoonTopping:4 1/2 cups flour3 cups unpacked light brown sugar2 cups butter, cut into small pieces and softenedPreheat oven to 350 degrees.To make the crust: In a large bowl combine the butter with the flour until you get dough like consistency. Spread evenly into ungreased 12x18-inch jellyroll pan. Use waxed paper to evenly press down crust. Bake for 15 minutes and let cool. While the crust is cooling, prepare the topping: mix the flour and the brown sugar. Using a pastry blender cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. When the crust is cool, gently and evenly spread the raspberry preserves over the crust leaving a 1/4-inch border all around. Sprinkle the crumbs generously over the preserves. You will think you have too much but use it all. Bake for 15 - 18 minutes until golden brown. Cool before cutting.I always feed myself well on the stream.
And thus I clothe my naked villainy With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.

For the record, I don't hate anyone here. I just think that some of you may have had your soft spot pushed on when you were infants. Heero

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:50 pm

I'll get the staff on that just as soon as soon as they've finished with drawing my bath and waxing the Bentley.
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:52 pm

I started to fly fish after the movie was released, but I didn't start because of the movie. It's entertaining and well done, but I doubt it had a direct effect on the price of rods, inflation took care of that all by itself. Guides are just as responsible for the glut of affluent fly fisherman, they could say NO! "Learn to fish on your own and come see me when you can think like a fish."Hell, you might as well blame Izaak Walton or anybody else who has ever written about fly fishing, not to mention the friggin INTERNET and all of it's lame forums; "Where should I go fish? What fly should I use?" What ever happened to exploring on your own? Doing your own research and looking at a map and learning on your own.
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

Deerhawk

Post by Deerhawk » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:57 pm

Ooohhh...Da Bugga speaks!

fyshnutz

Post by fyshnutz » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:08 pm

All hail da boooger, I always new 1382 would be a special number for us.Has anyone noticed we haven't had any noob spanking this week?
we''re gonna get thingy flapped on dillweed and bunghole some donkey punches - ''fud

Deerhawk

Post by Deerhawk » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:14 pm

....and if I might highjack by posing the musical question.n Weardafis??? Image

troutjedi

Post by troutjedi » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:02 pm

Woolly, you do bear a striking resemblance to Brad Pitt.....WTF??? Image
I got a whole warehouse full of peas in my head.

Reef Runner

Post by Reef Runner » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:46 pm

This thread blows.

fyshnutz

Post by fyshnutz » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:35 pm

he says with a smile on his face... Image

<small>[ December 31, 2006, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: fyshnutz ]</small>
we''re gonna get thingy flapped on dillweed and bunghole some donkey punches - ''fud

troutjedi

Post by troutjedi » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:19 pm

You're mistaken, Reef Image
I got a whole warehouse full of peas in my head.