This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By No Shit
Hey Gov,Believe it or not, some of us have been to college. Some of us have advanced degrees. In other words, we've been there.Long story short, I'd go back to my college lifestyle in a heartbeat. If you think that the workday for a professional (read: someone with a college education) is strictly 9-5, you're eithera) delusionaln b) some punk kid without any life experience yet.I'll go with b) and give you the benefit of the doubt.If you want to work 9-5, get a low-paying hourly job and clock in, clock out. Oh wait--then you'll whine about the limits imposed by a substandard income.Get over yourself.
I remember from previous posts that you are falling in love with the state of Wyoming. Having lived there for 12 years, I can tell you that Wyoming is like that crazy drunk chick you met on spring break. A lot of fun at first, but her problems are way too big to deal with, or even live with. Enjoy your time there, but begin your exit plan now. In a couple of years, when the long winters, high winds, and low wages get to be too much, you will have a plan in place.On the other hand, if you can stick with it for ten years, you can buy a lifetime feeshing license. :( Have fun this summer. The student loan bills start showing up in the fall.
Ouch, URL lays it down and takes no prisoners. Take that Gov. When you finish for the year, Gov, drag yer ass out here to Orygun and we'll show ya a good time.
By governor
Rusty, good memory. Luckily, my job in Wyoming is just for the summer, but I am definitely looking forward to it. That is the main reason why I am so antzy, just so you guys know. If I had some 'real' job lined up, or nothign at all, I would probably be relishing the life right now, but all I think about is being in Wyoming fishing and guiding every single day for the summer. You guys can probably understand my whining now. No Shit, I work my ass off up here, and I have more real world experience than you would believe for someone my age, trust me. I've been working since I was 15, and doing school. I'll accept the punk kid comment though. Monkey, I'm trying to move to Oregon after Wyoming. It's definitely somewhere I want to be. Either that or No. Cal, Southern WA, or CO. Anybody have a job at a newspaper or magazine for me? haha, but seriously. i'm just kidding, kind of. Tonight I'll have a beer in honor of each Drakian who posts on this thread wishing they were in my shoes. Here's to you all. Cheers. Drunken rambling thread to ensue later tonight.
You a journalism? I am working at a local paper this summer and trying to get hooked up with NPR after I graduate next winter.
By bigtj
I have got to say that my 5 years in engineering school were way, way harder than working life. 60 hours of homework a week plus about another 20 hours of time in class (labs were 3 hours of lecture usually). My last semester of school I pulled 17 all-nighters, not because I wasn't working hard, but just because I had to in order to get the work done. So it's possible that the life in the "real world" is easier than the college life for somebody like me who had a death wish in college, but for most folks who aren't taking a pretty hard major, college is pretty easy by comparison.
By dunk
Originally posted by governor:n but all I think about is being in Wyoming fishing and guiding every single day for the summer. You guys can probably understand my whining now. n
So go guide for a few years. Do it now - right out of college before you're tied up with a lot of monthly bills that tend to go along with the post college career bucks. Once you get a couple of years out of college and the cash rolls in you end up with a list of bills and other stuff (see list above) that make it tough to bail out and go guide. Who knows - it might lead to something very fulfilling.I was a ski bum and didn't move into a professional job until I was 30. Wouldn't change a thing if I did it again. Survived on instructor pay and some bartending in the winter and cleaning pools and more bartending in the off season. Got free gear on a "test team" for a ski company which helped as well.And drink few beers - not one. You're in college dammit - that's what you're supposed to do! Figgin' kids these days...
By governor
Yeah, I'm a journalism major. I've gottena couple calls for interviews already in Sun Valley and Oregon, but I had to say no b/c of my job in Wyoming for the summer. I definitely think it's worth it though for me. I want to do outdoor/environmental writing. dunk, your advice is good and I envy that you didn't have to start a professional career until you were 30. If I can find a way to do that, then I will, most definitely. I have a few ideas on the backburner in my head that I'm thinking about doing. Right now I just have to worry about my fucking Law & Ethics class. My professor sucks ass. monkey, UR told me you were a journalism guy too. good luck with grad school, man. hopefully if things work out i'll be in OR after Wyoming, but I never know where i'm gonna be or what i'm gonna be doing 6 months from now, which is pretty cool.
By nllaeder
Originally posted by bigtj:n I have got to say that my 5 years in engineering school were way, way harder than working life. 60 hours of homework a week plus about another 20 hours of time in class (labs were 3 hours of lecture usually). My last semester of school I pulled 17 all-nighters, not because I wasn't working hard, but just because I had to in order to get the work done. So it's possible that the life in the "real world" is easier than the college life for somebody like me who had a death wish in college, but for most folks who aren't taking a pretty hard major, college is pretty easy by comparison.
You went to the wrong engineering school. That, or you're a chemical engineer.
By highstream
GOV., all i'm gonna say is live life like you want to. Dont get me wrong I think it's great that you are getting a education and actually doing some thing with your life. Just dont forget that you only live one time. I lived my life like that and now that I am an old man(not that damn old) I have a wife and three kids and a job that love going to seven days a week, and have NO REGRETS.Good luck!
By dunk
Originally posted by governor:n n dunk, your advice is good and I envy that you didn't have to start a professional career until you were 30. If I can find a way to do that, then I will, most definitely.
Keep on a plan whatever you do. I had a clear picture of where I wanted to go post skibum. I also scored a starting job in one of the top firms in my field and got a couple of just plain lucky breaks thereafter. Making the transition at 30 was not easy but it all worked out.
deliberate fuel

very excellent, thank you. you find the right word[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Raymond Bumble (variation) https://live.stat[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

October 6, 2020 #44?? Gas $1.99 Started later […]

Shakedown: TR

Most excellent! Thanks for sharing, KP

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine