Simms classic guide waders

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
scot

Simms classic guide waders

Post by scot » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:28 am

Thinking about buying a pair of simms classic guide waders. Any opinions on them or reasons not to buy. Also need a good place to order them online local shops don't have the medium short size i need. Thanks
The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I knew we''d get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. Hunter S. Thompson

bigtj

Re: Simms classic guide waders

Post by bigtj » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:10 pm

Reasons to buy Simms Guide waders:1. They are comfortable as heck. I think they feel a lot like my most comfortable pair of pajamas.2. Quality made with top-notch materials.3. They last forever.I am currently on my 5th pair of guide waders. They generally last 100-150 days of hard fishing. They're hard to beat.Reasons not to buy them - if you bushwhack a lot in thorns they can get pinholes I think the g3's might hold up better but for the extra $100 or so I just go with the guide waders and am careful.The fly shop in Redding might have the size waders you need.Best,-John

ffmsucks

Post by ffmsucks » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:13 pm

we did jerks ;) ;) say simms fit the best? last time i checked levi 501s don't fit everyone the same way. same goes for simms waders.

Vermonter

Post by Vermonter » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:50 pm

Ditto John on the Guides. My only complaint is no built-in gravel guards.
"Some call it losin'', some call it a gain. Some call it sunshine, then piss on the rain."

caddis

Post by caddis » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:57 pm

The G3's have a built-in gravel guard.

Fishmaster Flex

Post by Fishmaster Flex » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:28 pm

I have gone through several pairs in what I thought was too short a time. My friend had a pair wear out in a few months. He sent them back asking them to honor their lifetime warranty and they told him "the warranty is for the lifetime of the product, not your lifetime" Appearently they don't really care about their customers. I have a pair of G3s right now and if they don't last longer than guideweights have they will be my last pair. Cloudveil might be worth looking into.
"A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse" mf doom

Adams

Post by Adams » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:26 pm

I've got classic guides and am happy with them. A freind of mine had some warranty issues, returned them, and had nothing but compliments to Simms. Apparently your mileage may vary if benjo's story is true. I cannot believe they would say the warranty is for the products' lifetime. Doesn't that necessarily mean the warranty ends when the product dies? Talk about a bullshit warranty policy. That had to be an employee who was about to quite their job.Adams

<small>[ December 13, 2005, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Adams ]</small>
If you need a reason to drink, you have a problem. . .

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:47 pm

Simms has a pretty good reputation, though I've never used the Guide Classics. Gotta say though, I'm pretty amazed that for $330 they don't even come with built in gravel guards, and that you'd have to bump up another $100 or so to get them on the G3's.The Patagonia Watermasters are durable as heck, have a great guarantee, and come with gravel guards for the same price as the Classics.
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

Zach Matthews

Post by Zach Matthews » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:16 pm

Hey guys-I have fished hard in a set of Guides for 5 years now. I don't actually guide, so I am definitely below the target use level, but I fish as hard as any amateur in the country. My Guides have aquaseal patches nine ways to sunday on them and I have had the feet rebuilt by Simms (under warranty, but for reference the cost is $50). I don't like all the G3 bangles/built in dashboard and the same went for the Cloudveils. My main problem with them is I can't fold them down comfortably. An XL sized guy might not notice as bad but as a Medium, and with all the pockets being the same size as on the XL, it can really wear you out. Same reason I don't wear a vest: I like my mobility.If I get word Simms is discontinuing the Guides I will order a new pair to hold in reserve. I truly believe they are the best wader on the market. The only way to improve on the design would be gravel guards and stronger material.Zach

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:27 pm

Originally posted by Smithhammer:n The Patagonia Watermasters are durable as heck
But just how durable is heck? If I blunder into a rose thicket and fall down (shit happens), aren't I just as likely to pinhole a pair of $400 breathables as I am a pair of $100? Or has breathable wader tech advanced to a point where the material isn't, at its heart, wispy sissy shit? I'm in the market for a new pair, and if they're actually durable I might consider them worth the extra cash. If not, I'll just get another pair of Orvis Clearwaters. And another Stowaway rod. And a really big bottle of expensive booze.
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:33 pm

Originally posted by Zach Matthews:n Same reason I don't wear a vest: I like my mobility.
We like your mobility too, hotstuff.n Image
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:51 pm

Originally posted by Dave L:n But just how durable is heck? If I blunder into a rose thicket and fall down (shit happens), aren't I just as likely to pinhole a pair of $400 breathables as I am a pair of $100? Or has breathable wader tech advanced to a point where the material isn't, at its heart, wispy sissy shit?
On most of the higher end waders I've used or checked out, part of what you're paying for is thicker, tougher fabric. And I do think that they are often more durable than cheaper models. But nothing is idiot-proof, and obviously you can still put holes in top of the liners. And then part of what you're often paying for as well are bells and whistles, like gravel guards, fancier pockets and things like that. Still, I agree that $300+ is a chunk of cash for a pair of waders, and there's something to be said for having $$ left over for booze. I've got the Patagonia Watermaster Lights (which I got a great deal on), which are a slightly lighter material, and don't have gravel guards, and are about $100 cheaper. They're still really durable though, as long as you don't do anything too stupid. It's a trade-off - I like having the lighter, more packable version for traveling, and being able to easily fit them in my pack along with everything else for hiking into places.
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers