A Wee Bit of Whisky

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Smithhammer

A Wee Bit of Whisky

Post by Smithhammer » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:18 pm

Ok, I've made my love of Maker's well known. But it's not an either/or thing - I like bourbon, and I enjoy good scotch too. So, favorite scotches out there?Oban is one of me faves. Not as "peaty" as Laphriog, but good mellow smoky sippin. Aye. :(
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

befuddled

Re: A Wee Bit of Whisky

Post by befuddled » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:20 pm

I'm no expert, and I'm VERY biased, being a southerner an' all, but........Scotch and Bourbon in the same post?n The Shame! :p n befuddled

<small>[ February 16, 2006, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: befuddled ]</small>
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:26 pm

LOL - yeah, barley, corn, it's all good. Not above a little Jamesons' on the rocks either, which is probably sacrilege to a devout scotch afficionado as well.

<small>[ February 17, 2006, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: Smithhammer ]</small>

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

WT

Post by WT » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:29 pm

Since we're mixing things up...n HOW 'BOUT SOME GREENSAUCE!

Salty

Post by Salty » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:42 pm

I'll take Glenlivet when I can afford it
Ryan

http://busterwantstofish.com

"a complete lack on intellectual curiosity, and a sense of humor that make beavis and butthead look like NPR commentators" Fyshnutz

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:46 pm

Glenlivet. Another fave - I'm enjoying the last of a bottle of it right now.... :cool:

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

shutupandfish

Post by shutupandfish » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:09 pm

Shammer, I'm with you on MM. I like to breaking the red wax seal on a new $30 bottle (the same size I think you get for $24 wherever you live, you dawg) and hearing that deep gurgle-gurgle-gurgle. :(
Annihilating all that''s made/To a green thought in a green shade. --Andrew Marvell

Open Fly

Post by Open Fly » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:46 am

I like Jim Beam, but when Im feeling frogy I'll throw down some cash and get Daniels.

Jed

Post by Jed » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:27 am

Glenlivet works for me! Also add Jamiesons to my list. I don't do Scotch so that's not on my list, but for burbon I like Ol' Grandad's 101 proof. My more recent favorite drink is Vodka. Not the regular junk that most people associate with the word, but the good stuff. Stolichnya Gold is the best readily available brand, but we had some Russian visitors here and they brought the real thing that is made in Samyra. Its smooth like table wine (it is generally drunk like wine with dinner) and carries a punch that will knock you into next week. Wish I could get it locally.jed

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:28 am

Originally posted by Jed:n Glenlivet works for me! Also add Jamiesons to my list. I don't do Scotch so that's not on my list, but for burbon I like Ol' Grandad's 101 proof. My more recent favorite drink is Vodka. n jed
Jed- I believe Glenlivet and Jameson's are both scotches. The former being a "whisky," and the latter a "whiskey." Course, to confuse matters further, bourbon is also a whiskey, but not a whisky. But as a fan of liqour made from tubers, you're off the hook.Kidding. :cool:

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

badnots

Post by badnots » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:40 am

Ushers green stripe - thanks,Dadn Scotches need love too.
...I gave the string a tug like I was rip-starting a lawn mower.I''m still trying to block out what happened next. ala Con

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:02 am

The famous historian and chronicler Raphaël Holinshed wrote the following about the results of distillation of malted barley in his "Chronicles of England, Scotland and Ireland" in the 16th century:"Being moderately taken, it slows the age, it cuts phlegm, it lightens the mind, it quickens the spirit, it cures the dropsy, it heals the strangulation, it pounces the stone, it repels gravel, it pulls away ventositie, it keeps and preserves the head from whirling, the eyes from dazzling, the tongue from lisping, the mouth from snuffling, the teeth from chattering, the throat from rattling, the weasan from stiffing, the stomach from womblying, the heart from swelling, the belly from wincing, the guts from rumbling, the hands from shivering, the sinews from shrinking, the veins from crumpling, the bones from aching, the marrow from soaking, and truly it is a sovereign liquor if it be orderly taken."Scotch - it's a health drink. :(

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers