A Wee Bit of Whisky

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Shinehead
Location: the junction of great trout rivers in Western Montana

Re: A Wee Bit of Whisky

Post by Shinehead » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:56 pm

Being completely fucking a-religous, I decided to take a stand upon my first sip of Jameson's. From that moment on, not a drop of Protestant barleycorn passed my lips.And perhaps the devout do get their rewards--a couple weeks ago a buddy of mine dropped off a gift he had picked up in Dublin: Image Ahhh....

<small>[ February 17, 2006, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Shinehead ]</small>

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:10 pm

I'm a Bourbon man:n Bookersn Knob Creekn Makers Markn Jim Beamn It's all good but Bookers is by far my favorite!!

Danbob

Post by Danbob » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:46 pm

Tough questions all. This is rough, and requires soul searching. Hmmm.#1 Makers Markn #2 Glenlivetn #3 Knob Creekn #4 LaphroiagI'm not nationalistically inclined. Ireland, the USA, Canada and Scotland all enter into the next 6 of the top ten. But to rate them for this post would require far better alcohol tolerance than I currently have -- at least doing it in one night, that is.n DANBOB

Brookwookie

Post by Brookwookie » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:00 am

I am missing the scotch appreciation gene. I've tried. It all tastes like cologne to me, regardless of price. More for the rest of you. I'll stick with bourbon.
The Most Recent Evolution Of Muthafusticus Modernusticus
Buster Wants To Fish

Nailknot

Post by Nailknot » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:19 pm

What, no mention of George Dickel?

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:21 pm

Technically, Dickel ( and Jack Daniels) are Tennessee whiskies, not bourbon. Nit-picking aside, Dickel's good stuff.
"unsalvageably incoherent"

Adams

Post by Adams » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:17 pm

I love the Islay whiskys. Make that another vote for Laphroaig. I actually like their 10 year old better than the 15. Smithhammer -- if you like Laphroaig, try Caol Illa, which within the last year or two became available on this side of the pond again. Adams
If you need a reason to drink, you have a problem. . .

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:02 pm

Originally posted by Adams:n n Smithhammer -- if you like Laphroaig, try Caol Illa, which within the last year or two became available on this side of the pond again. Adams
:cool: Thanks, I'll look for it - the bar is looking a bit empty these days....
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

Jed

Post by Jed » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:36 pm

As has been said, I tink (that's irish for think) that Jamiesons is Irish and not Scotch and that in itself is enough of a difference.As for Glenlivet, I believe that it is a single malt (unblended) scotch wiskey, and therefore different from most "scotch" which is a blended wiskey.Now I might be wrong, but I'll bet the lot of ya that if I'm wrong n you all have to take a drink of one of the brands mentioned in this thread, and if I'm right, theyou all have to take a drink of one of the brands mentioned in this thread.jed

<small>[ February 18, 2006, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Jed ]</small>

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:05 pm

Originally posted by Jed:n n Now I might be wrong, but I'll bet the lot of ya that if I'm wrong n you all have to take a drink of one of the brands mentioned in this thread, and if I'm right, theyou all have to take a drink of one of the brands mentioned in this thread.jed
I'm feeling half drunk just trying to make sense of the paragraph above. But for the sake of argument, let's say you're right - I think that means we all get to drink. And let's take it one step further and say I'm wrong - that means we get to have a second drink, right? Fine - we'll leave it at that for now, but be warned, I'm going to want to revisit this later.
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

Henry's Fork Dork

Post by Henry's Fork Dork » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:27 pm

I had no idea that so much could be said about turpentine in a bottle. Are there any dissenters besides me that think Scotch is shyte?I've got no problem with bourbon. Enjoy it in fact. However, there is little appeal for me in a libation that has the bite of a onion pickled formaldehyde that goes by the name scotch.If I stir within you rancor at my declarations, then so be it. Somebody get me a bottle of the Green Sauce...WT you down? Image

<small>[ February 18, 2006, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Henry's Fork Dork ]</small>
"Sir, I am having a digestive crisis and must focus on suppressing its expression." -E.B. Farnum

inland

Post by inland » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:16 pm

Single Malt Scotch is the nectar of the gods. A good Irish isn't too bad either. Even if it's Protestant Bushmills. Bourbon is akin to the fluid drip from the dong of a bull elephant in Must. Nasty shit, unless you're a cow elephant 'in season'.William