This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By RFA
cantfishforshit wrote:This weeks finger painting:

Dude - you've made incredible progress with your paintings since you first started posting. I am being honest when I say this.

I do, however, have some advice....not as an artist, but as someone who has studied art:

Think about the path of the person's eyes viewing the picture. You want to draw them to your focal point, but you have to realize what that focal point is. In my art history classes, every painting was divided into a big "X" that covered the canvas....invariably, paintings draw you towards the center of that X......but, of course there are exceptions....and of course this always doesn't apply....but think about it when you paint...you've got the potential. The fade/stream in this painting actually draws one's eyes OFF the canvas....

Great job though, and a good eye for a tough medium.
By crabtops
From my second visit the the World Trade Center. Taken this afternoon. Made sure to have batteries in the camera this time.

THe Liberty tower

The pool and void, foot print of the former 2WTC

MASSIVE fucking girder to support the subway line as it passes over the new transportation hub

few few random shots

Hoe Ramming (snicker)

The Manitowoc 18000. This behemoth can lift 20,000 TONS

They are going to have the plaza with the pools and part of the museum open for 9/11/11 the tree in bloom is a survivor from the original site

Getting to see this site was absolutely amazing. There are 9 major projects all happening in one 16 acre plot. The scale of this work is dumbfounding.
By Woolybug25
Vito wrote:[report]Caught this big, but funny looking trout.

Image[/report]
This has awesome painted all over it! If I picked the right materials (I suck at shopping, I always forget something), that Chart/Blck Fur Trader might get some work on Monday! :cool

I miss those springers.
By cantfishforshit
RFA wrote: Dude - you've made incredible progress with your paintings since you first started posting. I am being honest when I say this.

I do, however, have some advice....not as an artist, but as someone who has studied art:

Think about the path of the person's eyes viewing the picture. You want to draw them to your focal point, but you have to realize what that focal point is. In my art history classes, every painting was divided into a big "X" that covered the canvas....invariably, paintings draw you towards the center of that X......but, of course there are exceptions....and of course this always doesn't apply....but think about it when you paint...you've got the potential. The fade/stream in this painting actually draws one's eyes OFF the canvas....

RFA, thanks for the advice and you are absolutely correct. It's kind of like trying to nail jello to a tree; just a TON of stuff to keep up with. I'm still learning to mix color too. I still have this one on the easle and will see what I can do. I've been told that there are 4 sweet spots the least of which ain't so sweet (have to look it up) and then you have to use them to draw people in. I think I may need a pine or two in this one to frame things in. Anyway, thanks again and hopefully I'll post something really nice one day and you guys will have been along for the ride (rough ride eh?). Take care.

CFFS
By cantfishforshit
BTW that liberty tower kicks azz. :cool
Last edited by cantfishforshit on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Scary Mc
Tying for next weeks overnight float in The Bake Gorge.

By RFA
cantfishforshit wrote:
RFA wrote: Dude - you've made incredible progress with your paintings since you first started posting. I am being honest when I say this.

RFA, thanks for the advice and you are absolutely correct. It's kind of like trying to nail jello to a tree; just a TON of stuff to keep up with. I'm still learning to mix color too. I still have this one on the easle and will see what I can do. I've been told that there are 4 sweet spots the least of which ain't so sweet (have to look it up) and then you have to use them to draw people in. I think I may need a pine or two in this one to frame things in. Anyway, thanks again and hopefully I'll post something really nice one day and you guys will have been along for the ride (rough ride eh?). Take care.

CFFS
Lots of people on here that can give you better advice than I can, I just draw dicks.

Another (drunken) piece of advice: Your focal point can be subtle, it doesn't have to be obvious. I find myself searching for it on paintings...sometimes a lighter touch ...this one is obvious.....you, for instance, could use the feeder streams/shadows to create the focus in your painting....you don't want to shit it up like a matador in velvet. Subtlety. You don't see Bob White or SLSS adding more shit in their paintings to create this affect...it can be present with a minimal amount of work:
Crude.jpg
Crude.jpg (22.84 KiB) Viewed 659 times
By shunned
in india many years ago they used to get elephants to execute people by crushing.
and you could be crushed for being a poof.

I reckon raffa's drawing is the last thing the die-hards saw.

way. to. go.

:cool
By cantfishforshit
RFA,

Thanks again. I'll try and remember that. Here is my revision (not much but I think it helped):

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Squirrelly Hairhog https://live.staticflickr[…]

Dear Capt Dustin Huff

besides, wasn't the biggest tarpon caught in LA? […]

Woof yeah but a good attitude can turn a 6 to[…]

Friday Cheer Through Pics

https://i.imgur.com/TSner0k.jpg https://i.imgu[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine