This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
User avatar
By Boomin
#564882
Woolybug25 wrote:T.J. Brayshaw wrote:Really nice. What are those, shoal bass?
The first couple small guys are Redeye bass. The last biggish fish is a spotted bass or "spot". Both of these fish are very common in North Alabama (smaller rivers, rocky shorelines, etc.)

Shoal bass on the other hand are typically found a little further south (wider rivers, limestone shoals). I grew up in Albany, GA on the Flint River which is shoal bass central. I can always tell shoal bass bc they have tiger esque stripes. I have thrown a few pics of these dudes up in the past.
User avatar
By T.J. Brayshaw
#564888
Boomin wrote:
Woolybug25 wrote:T.J. Brayshaw wrote:Really nice. What are those, shoal bass?
The first couple small guys are Redeye bass. The last biggish fish is a spotted bass or "spot". Both of these fish are very common in North Alabama (smaller rivers, rocky shorelines, etc.)

Shoal bass on the other hand are typically found a little further south (wider rivers, limestone shoals). I grew up in Albany, GA on the Flint River which is shoal bass central. I can always tell shoal bass bc they have tiger esque stripes. I have thrown a few pics of these dudes up in the past.
Ah, right. I went to school in Auburn for a few years and only fished a bit and in the days before digital cameras. I wish I knew now what I was catching. I probably thought they were all just largemouth bass.
User avatar
By Boomin
#564889
Woolybug25 wrote:I thought shoal bass and spotted bass were the same thing?
They basically are, there are few minor differences. I just throw everything under the umbrella of "River Bass". Unless I'm on a pond of course: "Non-river Bass"
User avatar
By Boomin
#564890
T.J. Brayshaw wrote: I probably thought they were all just largemouth bass.
You were prob right. That far south in bama its a largemouth 90% of the time...everytime
User avatar
By P-A
#564891
Hope you all have a great friday. Here its wine and cod night.
Been fishing some for these.
Cheers
P-A :cool :cool
Attachments:
AP4D4851small.jpg
AP4D4851small.jpg (468.28 KiB) Viewed 656 times
User avatar
By cantfishforshit
#564892
Walter wrote:is that a hybrid of a hybrid? looks like a striper had sex with a white perch.
A small hybrid, I think. Just down river I spooked a 30" carp.
User avatar
By B.M. Barrelcooker
#564914
Boomin wrote:
T.J. Brayshaw wrote: I probably thought they were all just largemouth bass.
You were prob right. That far south in bama its a largemouth 90% of the time...everytime

I spent a summer doin creel surveys on the coosa and tallapoosa rivers and they had a subspecies of spotted bass they called coosa bass.

Side note : They had some ginormous alligator gar that were freaky big.
Last edited by B.M. Barrelcooker on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
By T.J. Brayshaw
#564916
B.M. Barrelcooker wrote:
Boomin wrote:
T.J. Brayshaw wrote: I probably thought they were all just largemouth bass.
You were prob right. That far south in bama its a largemouth 90% of the time...everytime

I spent a summer doin creek surveys on the coosa and tallapoosa rivers and they had a subspecies of spotted bass they called coosa bass.

Side note : They had some ginormous alligator gar that were freaky big.
Those were alligators.
  • 1
  • 661
  • 662
  • 663
  • 664
  • 665
  • 1068
The days are receding ....

thanks for the thread and fam matters message been[…]

Friday Cheer Through Pics

Squirmy worms are the hotness out here. Walk […]

Reads

Glad you're enjoying it Obie. I owe Tom a big th[…]

Brood X

damn i guess its been 17 yeqrs since i went back t[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine