Friday Cheer Through Pics

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
BearsFan

Re: Friday Cheer Through Pics

Post by BearsFan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Well done.
"I've been searching my whole life for a woman to feed me once a day and eat me once a day. My needs are simple." - Outcast

"Mostly I think about hookers and Tarpon fishing." - blumpkin

austrotard

Post by austrotard » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:27 am

can I have it?
we'll always have buffalo, sweet josh.

-mtice

D-nymph

Post by D-nymph » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:02 am

Heero is winning at life!
"The devil's pourin drinks and his daughter needs a ride" - III

fatman

Post by fatman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:33 pm

strong work with the smokepole, Heero :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Honyuk96

Post by Honyuk96 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 pm

WTG Heero. Send me some backstrap

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:08 am

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:17 am
First one. Over the moon.

4324B65B-7244-4B64-8B53-E45C991A4D21.jpeg
Hey Heero, congrats, especiall shooting with open sights. Tell us about that rifle.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

BigTimber

Post by BigTimber » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 am

Redchaser wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:08 am
Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:

Hey Heero, congrats, especiall shooting with open sights. Tell us about that rifle.
ditto
This place has enough jiggly milkbags, marsupials fisting off, and animated cherubs getting stabbed in the fuck to get anyone shitcanned, if''n their boss can''t take a joke. ~SUAF

Pussy, much like freedom, ain't free.

America has become a dildo that has turned berserkly on its owner. ~McGuane 1971

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:05 am

It is a Traditions Hawken Rifle. 50 caliber. I shoot with 95 grain pyrodex (performs better), patch and round ball. It’s the cheap one. It was $300-$350 on sale at Bass Pro Shop a bunchve years back -- they didnt even do a background check when I bought it which I thought was weird but whatever. They did put my name down on some list every time I purchased powder, double weird.

It shoots great. Dead on balls accurate up to 75 meters (why the gun range measured target station in commie meters rather than MERKAN yards Ill never understand!). Pretty good to 100 meters, also, with good conditions. I practice a fair bit because why not.

The shot I took on the beast was close to 100m, if not just about there. Hiked in about a mile in the dark and situated myself on a hilltop overlooking a couple draws. After creeping my way through thru sage a ways hoping to cut off a bachelor group of 3 bulls I had seen on the horizon first light, it turned out I anticipated right and they came thru the draw I thought they would. I ran out of sage as cover so I waited as they continued toward me. They werent going to come any closer to my position, so at their closest point I took the shot on the first as he showed me his side passing into the draw. Almost an hour from the time I first glassed them to the shot. Accounted for a little drop, doubled lunged him, just as Id hoped. The ball hit a couple ribs and lost enough velocity that it made it out the other side but not through the far hide so I recovered it while dressing which is a pretty neat memento.

Pretty textbook. I couldnt believe my luck. Patience and luck.

Quartered and cut every last piece of meat off then hauled it out. Had some help, a friend person who occasionally tolerates my presence was watching a herd of cows 1/2 mile or so away hoping they’d cross the fence to thenpublic. Able to grab him, took us about 5 hours from shot to get it all butchered and packed out. Then he got one of the cows that evening and back I went to help haul out his. What a day.

421sd

Post by 421sd » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:

Niiiice Heero! I'm jay-loose, elk meat dee-lish. Bone is cool too.

I have a .50 Hawken I've popped a couple deer with, shooting about the same load. I put mine together from a CVA kit my folks gave me while in college. The hide caught the ball on my deer as well. Fun way to hunt. :cool

Ironically, it was the in-line muzz's turn to hunt this year and it picked it's first ever time to misfire on a nice 10-pointer this past Saturday. :bullshit :vomit

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:05 am
It is a Traditions Hawken Rifle. 50 caliber. I shoot with 95 grain pyrodex (performs better), patch and round ball. It’s the cheap one. It was $300-$350 on sale at Bass Pro Shop a bunchve years back -- they didnt even do a background check when I bought it which I thought was weird but whatever. They did put my name down on some list every time I purchased powder, double weird.

It shoots great. Dead on balls accurate up to 75 meters (why the gun range measured target station in commie meters rather than MERKAN yards Ill never understand!). Pretty good to 100 meters, also, with good conditions. I practice a fair bit because why not.

The shot I took on the beast was close to 100m, if not just about there. Hiked in about a mile in the dark and situated myself on a hilltop overlooking a couple draws. After creeping my way through thru sage a ways hoping to cut off a bachelor group of 3 bulls I had seen on the horizon first light, it turned out I anticipated right and they came thru the draw I thought they would. I ran out of sage as cover so I waited as they continued toward me. They werent going to come any closer to my position, so at their closest point I took the shot on the first as he showed me his side passing into the draw. Almost an hour from the time I first glassed them to the shot. Accounted for a little drop, doubled lunged him, just as Id hoped. The ball hit a couple ribs and lost enough velocity that it made it out the other side but not through the far hide so I recovered it while dressing which is a pretty neat memento.

Pretty textbook. I couldnt believe my luck. Patience and luck.

Quartered and cut every last piece of meat off then hauled it out. Had some help, a friend person who occasionally tolerates my presence was watching a herd of cows 1/2 mile or so away hoping they’d cross the fence to thenpublic. Able to grab him, took us about 5 hours from shot to get it all butchered and packed out. Then he got one of the cows that evening and back I went to help haul out his. What a day.
Wow, thanks for taking the time to elaborate, great story of a great day. .50 caliber is a big old hole.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:02 pm

:cool Outstanding, Heero! Iron sights, black powder...you win The Jeremiah Jonson award this year.

Upsetter

Post by Upsetter » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Very cool heero! :gun