Marine Electronics

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Jed

Re: Marine Electronics

Post by Jed » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 am

I have a Garmin Etrex with the color display. It's a handheld, which you did not want, but the charts downloaded work great. I can also use it when fishing on shore, in the woods etc. I've used it to navigate through pea soup fog, keeping me in channels and bringing me across open water to within feet of a bouy. Not bad when there are no visuals available.

Must say, Garmin gets the call when it comes to good charts and accuracy.

jed

longslostrip

Post by longslostrip » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:43 am

Garmin 440 (no sounder)
mwk wrote:I have a garmin 498..........don't make em any more but the loaded maps are great....... sounder is good.

I can run the skiff like I stole it in the dark
If you're runnin' the salad shooter in less than 6", why the sounder?

Plow

Post by Plow » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 am

longslostrip wrote: If you're runnin' the salad shooter in less than 6", why the sounder?

Garmin 178C with a sounder which is discontinued. Sounder is useless. Skeg is a better indication of water depth – nothing but soft mud so far. :cool

Get the internal antenna.
My next one will have XM Weather to help with the summertime boomers.
Better Reds than dead...

mwk

Post by mwk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:15 am

longslostrip wrote:Garmin 440 (no sounder)
mwk wrote:I have a garmin 498..........don't make em any more but the loaded maps are great....... sounder is good.

I can run the skiff like I stole it in the dark
If you're runnin' the salad shooter in less than 6", why the sounder?

Did you get to eat any of those specs at fish fry?

Just sayin u can thank the sounder

NoHumanityLeft
Location: Would rather eat bullet than be associated with some of you.

Post by NoHumanityLeft » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:55 am

GPS is fucking cheating. Use a map!

JRH

Post by JRH » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:49 am

Heero wrote:GPS is fucking cheating. Use a map!

My GPS is a map.

jerome

Post by jerome » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:39 pm

Other than trout fishing streams, etc.... Electronic are the shit... Just what I figured out I can do and find with maps and a basic gps and a couple cheap fish finders. Even fishing large ponds is more fun really, cause i am catching more fish off of structure and cover and never knew was there. PLus it really cuts down on the dead water you are flogging with a fly rod also...

Even bass/walleye/striper etc. fishing using the new side imaging fishfinders are not really cheating... You still have to make the fish bite. I am somewhat fascinated by the bigtime tournament guys that are basically sight fishing with there fishfinders and catching fish in 40-80 ft of water on light tackle or small jigs, especially being able to do it with money on the line when no one else has anything going.
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

NoHumanityLeft
Location: Would rather eat bullet than be associated with some of you.

Post by NoHumanityLeft » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:50 pm

Why do trout streams not qualify? Is this another one of those tradition things?

jerome

Post by jerome » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:58 pm

Gps is great for finding your way to and from places on streams... I am talking more about boating and deeper water than your typical trout stream....
Well, as far as fish/depth finders go most trout streams at least a stream in my mind, you cant really use a boat and dont see a need much for one on a drift boat,be hard to mount/keep a transducer on a drift boat too...
Now I can see certain river situations where they would be nice.. especially a little one on your pontoon...but those times are few and far between especially in the south. other than places like maybe the clinch and cumberland.
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

longslostrip

Post by longslostrip » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:50 pm

mwk wrote:

Did you get to eat any of those specs at fish fry?

Just sayin u can thank the sounder
Thank you for feeding my family.