This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Lando
I don't carry a net while wading, but for the boat, I have my own personal "Net Boy."

By Adams
chuffer wrote:
Rhyacophila wrote:I will let someone net a big Trout or Steelhead for me, but they are under strict instructions. Hold the net underwater, I will bring the fish head to the center of the net, you lift when I tell ya to and not before. Swiper, No swiping. Swiper, No swiping.
Jesus, remind me never to fish with you. I'd drown you and your Dora backpack.
And shut that fucking map up too.
By Nemeth
Ah, the great debate continues. On the sometimes crowded central pa limstoners , "long netting" is actually preferred by most in order to keep the fish from fussin' up the run. I never cared for it much, I like bending my rod to almost the point of fracture in order to get some fat bastard in the net. Quarter sticks also work well.
By Bruiser
Rhyacophila wrote:I will let someone net a big Trout or Steelhead for me, but they are under strict instructions. Hold the net underwater, I will bring the fish head to the center of the net, you lift when I tell ya to and not before. Swiper, No swiping. Swiper, No swiping.
Yowza. Glad I don't carry a net.
By Nemeth
[quote="illcentrifugal"]"nets are for pussies"

So are rods.
Attachments:
sutton_noodling_04_210230.jpg
I got em pa!
sutton_noodling_04_210230.jpg (10.54 KiB) Viewed 495 times
By tailingpermit
If it's in a tournament I just want the fish in the boat. But other than that I land all of my own fish allowing my guide to stay up on the platform and look for fish.
By mwk
I will take a "Nets are for pussies" sticker.

One of my most intense moments fishing.......I went to tail grab a 20 pound permit for my best friend........it looks easy on tv......needless to say I lost the fish for him.

I'm still getting shit over it 10 years later.
By Jed
On boats, a helping hand makes sense and with big fish as well. It just seems like 30' casts and 15' distance between the fisherman and the net seems like eliiminating 1/2 the fight. Help with a net close up is one thing, but it just seems... wrong when the netting is done 1/2 half the distance of the hooking.

jed
By BigCliff
I'd say make the decision about the fish. If its been a long fight and distance netting will get a big, tired (and potentially hot) fish back at ease quicker, net it ASAP.

But yes, tailing a big salmonid you've just fought is undeniably the pinnacle of style.
By Rusty Hook
I use a net, even on the smaller ones. It makes life a lot easier for the fish than playing it long enough to bring it to hand.
Attitude

Wrong thread for newb fuckery, Fanny.

“ Well you may not know it but this man's a […]

I finally put down the booze long enough to packag[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Reece’s Surface Assassin (variation) h[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine