This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Ricky Bobby
[report]My boy Ty has always liked fishing. I have taken him fishing ever since he could hold a fly rod and he seems to enjoy it.... on a limited basis. Usually fishing with him involves bluegill or bass. Sunny days, hot tempratures and above all else... SHORT attention spans. So he is now three and a half so, I figure its time to take him on a real fishing trip.....
And so it starts...
At O'Dark Hundred
timetogo1.jpg
timetogo1.jpg (163.15 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
We start out at 0700 Temprature of 55 get him out of his PJ's. Load up the gear and get Grandpa in the car. 3 hours later, a stop at a McDonalds (Skillet Borritos Strong Work) for food and a piss and then one last stop for a few snacks as well as Ty's trout license and we are at the parking lot for the hike in.
thewalkin1.jpg
thewalkin1.jpg (301.56 KiB) Viewed 2707 times
The walk in is 3/4 of a mile or so and he toughed it out. Oh, I forgot to mention the cold front that has started to come in so the temp has dropped to 50 or so and the winds have kicked up to 30MPH and are getting stronger. After one wrong turn and a 30 minute walk we are on the water.
First cast and you get one of these...
thefirstcatch1.jpg
thefirstcatch1.jpg (234.44 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
It was awesome to see how excited he was to reel in the fish. This day was one of those days that you will remember forever as a dad. Everything was on. The fish were biting, you have the right flies, your kid isnt crying that he is cold because its now 45 degrees without the windchill and he is having a ball so here are somemore pics of the day.
netin1.jpg
netin1.jpg (217.41 KiB) Viewed 2697 times
gotem1.jpg
gotem1.jpg (229.71 KiB) Viewed 2689 times
grandpa1.jpg
grandpa1.jpg (265.3 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
Does it get better? A great day of fishing, spending time with Grandpa and Dad.
bringemin1.jpg
bringemin1.jpg (226.3 KiB) Viewed 2684 times
bugger.jpg
bugger.jpg (194.97 KiB) Viewed 2678 times
By the way, I'm sure many have used Spey rods for Steelies, Salmon and salt. I have to say a 5Wt 12'6 rod is awesome for trout and the new reel I picked up from Terry Hayden is fantastic.http://www.flyreels.com.au/ The Zephyr is a simple hand made reel with no drag but will never backlash.
haydenreels1.jpg
haydenreels1.jpg (248.18 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
But enough about gear, back to fishing...
dontsqeezethecharmin1.jpg
dontsqeezethecharmin1.jpg (115.83 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
more fish
fish12.jpg
fish12.jpg (202.55 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
If you ever want to see a funny sight, give a 3 year old a 12 foot rod with a fish on it and watch him try to reel it in a heave to rod up.This one almost made him fall in.
almostfalling1.jpg
almostfalling1.jpg (233.25 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
I think his smile sums up the day for all of us.
allsmiles1.jpg
allsmiles1.jpg (338.21 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
A quick lesson on being prepared for the wilderness and that you need to pack out all trash and we are on our way back on the 3/4 mile trail back to the car. Starting the car it says its now 40 degrees, we put the boy in the car seat and prepare for the 2.5-3 hour drive off into the sunset.
sunset1.jpg
sunset1.jpg (151.65 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
We get home and he runs to tell his mom he caught the biggest trout in the whole world.
I know this was a bit long winded but I dont think I have ever been as proud to be a dad that day. Thanks for letting me share.[/report]
Last edited by Ricky Bobby on Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
By No Shit
Quality stuff, RB.

My boys are growing into men, and it's hard to believe it is happening. Make the most of this magical time with your son--it's far too brief.

:cool
By Yard Sale
Best report I've read in a long, long time. Even a nice steelie doesn't make me smile like that!

Solid....
By illcentrifugal
that wasn't long winded, you just had an awesome day with folks you love!
dope for the son, dope for gramps, dope for pops, dope for us.
(dope as in cool, hip, way to go, get'r'done, hi-5, fo-shizzle, not as in the reefer.)
By Wingnut
Reef Runner wrote:reefer is down the the shizzle, nizzle. looks like it gonna drizzle

You are such a dork, even if you are speaking from beyound the grave.
By shunned
best form!

no big guess what he'll look like when his drop; fucking Ricky and Richard Robert clones.
By Plow
That’s the best fishing a father can ever have. Great report!
A Confession

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58V2vC9EPc

The return of Stolen Hours

1-22-2020 - 2 Between five or six doctors&rsq[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Hare’s Ear Hedgehog https://live.stati[…]

Fu@#&^# Drake

the photofuckit assholes are holding my shit hosta[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine